Probiotics - What Do You Use And Why?

Yonjuro

I thought it would be good to have a chat on probiotics.

I have use a few different ones, from Inner Health Plus and Healthy Essentials Broad Spectrum- which are both refrigerated human types.

I now use Protexin Green Label.

I don't have any great need to feed probiotics to my dog, but I am of the opinion that prevention is better than cure and that around 85% of the dogs immunity is controlled by a healthy gut. So I use it to optimise the gut function and cultivate a healthy material flora. Happy to be corrected on this.

I mix mine direct into his cold raw food at feeding time.

Please share you thoughts and what is your preferred PB.

I have a dog with ongoing digestive problems. I had him on Inner Health Plus for many months, really don't think it made a difference. I also tried the PAWS brand, can't remember what it was called, but this dog would not touch his food with this stuff on it so gave up.

I am currently trying out feeding him on Canidae Pure Sea which has probiotics in it (or 'on it' I probably should say as it is sprayed on after the processing).

Ideally I would love to feed green tripe! unfortunately it is impossible to source here in Perth :(

I have a dog with ongoing digestive problems. I had him on Inner Health Plus for many months, really don't think it made a difference. I also tried the PAWS brand, can't remember what it was called, but this dog would not touch his food with this stuff on it so gave up.

I am currently trying out feeding him on Canidae Pure Sea which has probiotics in it (or 'on it' I probably should say as it is sprayed on after the processing).

Ideally I would love to feed green tripe! unfortunately it is impossible to source here in Perth :(

You could try the IBS inner health. It has different things in it apparently.

I could be wrong but I don't think the Inner Health Plus has the strains of bacteria that are mainly utilised by a dog.

And yeah, raw green tripe is near impossible to get here is Perth...except for the K9 Naturals frozen stuff.

EDIT : I haven't looked at the IBS Inner Health

Edited by Yonjuro

Protexin Soluble (Orange label). More bang for your buck than the green label (feed less for more probiotics) and mixes easily with food and/or liquids (has no real taste so they don't know it is in there). IS more expensive, but is my personal choice if I want to provide a good hit (i.e. more than they get through normal diet which includes yoghurt and green tripe etc).

Note that probiotics need to be refrigerated to remain viable.

Edited by espinay2

I make my own Kefir. Works a treat. The dog and humans all of whom have had various gut problems, have it every day. I am yet to convince the fussy dog to drink it but his digestion is fine anyway.

You only need to buy a teaspoon full to get started making it. I can't find the people I bought it from on ebay but there are plenty of others on there.

Milk Kefir

Perthies! The new Spud Shed that opened up in Innaloo has great food for dogs including green tripe. Can't remember how much it costs but everything else there is cheap.

ETA I have also bought green tripe from The Pet Chef in the past.

Edited by Mim

I thought it would be good to have a chat on probiotics.

I have use a few different ones, from Inner Health Plus and Healthy Essentials Broad Spectrum- which are both refrigerated human types.

I now use Protexin Green Label.

I don't have any great need to feed probiotics to my dog, but I am of the opinion that prevention is better than cure and that around 85% of the dogs immunity is controlled by a healthy gut. So I use it to optimise the gut function and cultivate a healthy material flora. Happy to be corrected on this.

I mix mine direct into his cold raw food at feeding time.

Please share you thoughts and what is your preferred PB.

I use VETAFARM 90g it's the same strength & ingredients as the Protexin yellow label & half the price & needs to be kept under 25 degrees like Protexin, so keep in fridge... Vetafarm is sold online thru "We Know Pets" for $25 free delivery or Pet Barn $20 in the Bird section with a red chicken & a lorreket on front..Ive emailed Protexin & dogs shouldn't be given human probiotics as dogs have a shorter GI tract then humans & stronger stomach acids, so the human probiotics wont work a waste of money...