Food Sensitivities

leopuppy04

I think that's why the z/d or royal canin hypoallergenic is a little bit easier as now for me too I have offered my dog a wide variety of proteins so a novel one would be tricky...

The dermatologist did explain to me that these commercial diets aren't 100% as there is a chance they'll be allergic to some ingredient in the food (of which there are many, which is why I did a pork and potato diet initially)... the majority of allergies are proteins though. For now I'm really happy with the z/d and cost wise it's not so bad either, the pork and potato diet almost sent me broke!

Also I added probiotics to my dogs food after a tummy upset initially caused by giardia - thinking they would help the gut, that was an oops as they actually prolonged the diarrhea and again it was only when I stopped and had him JUST on z/d that he got better! So my suggestion is to be careful with any probiotics too and if you are considering adding them in do a small trial run and then stop and see what happens.

LP, you can do an elimination diet with raw, you just need a novel protein he hasn't had before like kangaroo. Vets will advise on the details, I've used kangaroo, rice(or potato) and a human multivitamin for a long term one.

Nova has poop issues with Chicken, that would be my first thing to eliminate.

When doing an elimination diet I like to get weekly weights too, some foods may seem good poop wise, but they could drop weight on them to dramatically.

thanks LisaCC - the only issue is with my dogs being very lucky and having a 'variety' to raw - there is not a meat we can think of that is completely novel for KK and easy to source :(

The main ones I can think that are normally less common are venison, goat, duck, rabbit?

Any luck there? If you have any local deer farms/butchers they may be able to help with pet cuts to cut down price.

After having one dog with IBD and going through proteins, I've been careful to leave a few meats off limits for Nova "just in case".

I think that's why the z/d or royal canin hypoallergenic is a little bit easier as now for me too I have offered my dog a wide variety of proteins so a novel one would be tricky...

The dermatologist did explain to me that these commercial diets aren't 100% as there is a chance they'll be allergic to some ingredient in the food (of which there are many, which is why I did a pork and potato diet initially)... the majority of allergies are proteins though. For now I'm really happy with the z/d and cost wise it's not so bad either, the pork and potato diet almost sent me broke!

Also I added probiotics to my dogs food after a tummy upset initially caused by giardia - thinking they would help the gut, that was an oops as they actually prolonged the diarrhea and again it was only when I stopped and had him JUST on z/d that he got better! So my suggestion is to be careful with any probiotics too and if you are considering adding them in do a small trial run and then stop and see what happens.

Interesting - thank you for that - I did have Koda on Probiotics (Protexin) before I started feeding him just on I/D. Good news is he has now been completely normal for the past few days (since starting this thread) and his frequency of poops on walks is now down to 1-2 which is great. Off to the vet tomorrow so I will see if they think I should change to Z/D or stick to I/D

LP, you can do an elimination diet with raw, you just need a novel protein he hasn't had before like kangaroo. Vets will advise on the details, I've used kangaroo, rice(or potato) and a human multivitamin for a long term one.

Nova has poop issues with Chicken, that would be my first thing to eliminate.

When doing an elimination diet I like to get weekly weights too, some foods may seem good poop wise, but they could drop weight on them to dramatically.

thanks LisaCC - the only issue is with my dogs being very lucky and having a 'variety' to raw - there is not a meat we can think of that is completely novel for KK and easy to source :(

The main ones I can think that are normally less common are venison, goat, duck, rabbit?

Any luck there? If you have any local deer farms/butchers they may be able to help with pet cuts to cut down price.

After having one dog with IBD and going through proteins, I've been careful to leave a few meats off limits for Nova "just in case".

He has not had venison, or goat but has had duck and rabbit. Sourcing goat and Venison would be tough though and on a food trial, i don't want to run out! Finding a 'filler' is also just as hard, hence why i am happy to do z/d and then switch back to a 'normal' dry once we start our trials again. Given his recent reaction to I/D though, I'm starting to feel a little more confident as I/D has both beef and chicken in it and I've noticed really good improvement with him over the last day or so (famous last words!)... time will tell...

I'm not sure if it's even available in safe for consumption meat in VIC but.. horse?

Couldn't do it!

Hi All,

I'm going through a bit of a food issue with one of my Aussies at the moment. We have tried a lot of things and are sort of at the point of really needing to cut back to basics, go bland and work out what his sensitivities are - if at all.

The background:

No issues with overall health, but fecal matter is inconsistent and he can go up to 4-5 times on a walk (never that much at home!). Range from 1st usually being normal, 2nd, fairly normal and 3rd semi formed (and so on). I changed his diet from a super premium dry to another brand, this helped for a bit, then tried grain free. This again helped for a bit and then we went to 80% raw. Recent weeks has upset his tum again (like I said, not the runs per-se... but just not normal!) and I now have him on Chick/Rice and I/D which is NOT improving things - he is still soft after being on it for a week and I would say perhaps a little worse.

We ARE booked in for the vet later this week but I would like to hear what others experiences are and any suggestions. I am fairly experienced at food elimination trials and these sorts of things, so various addatives and such have already been tried. All under the advice of those more experienced of course!

My Concerns:

I want my boy to be on a mostly raw diet as I think this is what is best for him. I'm happy to try Z/D for a short period of time (to get everything back on track so to speak), but I really don't want to feed him on this for his life unless it is an absolute must. I am in complete support of keeping him on a bland/ simple diet for a short period (read: 6-12mths) is necessary, but I am also concerned that keeping him on a bland diet may increase his sensitivities (again, this could be absolutely incorrect and I'm just making things up!)

Suggestoins welcome please!

My boy has just been diagnosed with Lymphocytic Gastritic (IBD) & cannot eat raw no more, I found the best vet Diet for him was Eukanuba Intestinal low residue kibble, the fiber is only 1.70% there's also "Eukanuba Intestinal Plus" the fiber is 4% this was tooo high for my boy, so U may need to choose either the "Intestinal" first then if poos dont firm up within 2 days like Eukanuba guarantee then buy the 1 kilo "Intestinal Plus" Eukanuba is money back guarenteed, I also use a "Probiotic" called Vetafarm sold at Petbarn in the bird section must be kept under 25 degree so in the fridge...you should keep him on the vet diet Eukanuba Intestinal for at least 6 months to rest & heal bowel, then I started to give boiled chicken & 1 spoon boiled pumkin for breakfast but you must sooooooo slowley add a new food if ur going to add any foods to diet....

Have you thought of trying the Dr Jean Dodd food sensitivity tests?

http://www.nutriscan.org/

I have a raw fed dog that I spent over a year trialling food elimination diets with before I found out about these tests...within the month, I had received the test kit, sent the kit back and received the results. Fantastic to actually see the results...which did confirm some of my elimination diet results (but also disproved some of what I thought too!)

I have fed my dog by these results ever since, and not had one issue with dietary related issues. Best thing I ever did!

Hi All,

I'm going through a bit of a food issue with one of my Aussies at the moment. We have tried a lot of things and are sort of at the point of really needing to cut back to basics, go bland and work out what his sensitivities are - if at all.

The background:

No issues with overall health, but fecal matter is inconsistent and he can go up to 4-5 times on a walk (never that much at home!). Range from 1st usually being normal, 2nd, fairly normal and 3rd semi formed (and so on). I changed his diet from a super premium dry to another brand, this helped for a bit, then tried grain free. This again helped for a bit and then we went to 80% raw. Recent weeks has upset his tum again (like I said, not the runs per-se... but just not normal!) and I now have him on Chick/Rice and I/D which is NOT improving things - he is still soft after being on it for a week and I would say perhaps a little worse.

We ARE booked in for the vet later this week but I would like to hear what others experiences are and any suggestions. I am fairly experienced at food elimination trials and these sorts of things, so various addatives and such have already been tried. All under the advice of those more experienced of course!

My Concerns:

I want my boy to be on a mostly raw diet as I think this is what is best for him. I'm happy to try Z/D for a short period of time (to get everything back on track so to speak), but I really don't want to feed him on this for his life unless it is an absolute must. I am in complete support of keeping him on a bland/ simple diet for a short period (read: 6-12mths) is necessary, but I am also concerned that keeping him on a bland diet may increase his sensitivities (again, this could be absolutely incorrect and I'm just making things up!)

Suggestoins welcome please!

Have you tried the vet diet Eukanuba Intestinal low residue kibble as the Hills z/d can make thing worse with some dogs as its high in fiber where the Eukanuba Intestinal has only 1.70% fiber...also are you feeding the Hills low fat GI Restore wet tin food not the Hills I/d low fat GI Restore kibble it has Gluten meal, barley, oats, wheat all the grains thats no good for food sensitivities The wet I/d low fat GI restore doesn't have these ingredients.....some dog just can not eat raw... I have a dog with IBD & its a big NO NO feeding a raw diet as they cant handle the bacteria in the raw meat, even if you try sitting the meat in boiling water for 1-2 mins to kill any bacteria on the meat but I would let his stomach/bowel rest & heal for at least 6 months on just 1 vet diet no other foods & a good dog probiotic like Vetafarm Probiotic 1 teaspoon taken daily & make sure you find a vet that knows a lot about IBD as some vets don't know much about IBD & will just put the dog on Prednisone (Steriod) without trying a diet first.... I can control my boys IBD so far on just a vet diet the Eukanuba Intestinal but Hills isn't good if ur dog has food intolerances as its full of grains also if you cannot get the vet diet Eukanuba Intestinal try the Vet diet Royal Canine "Sensitivity Control" its the only vet diet that's a Gluten free diet its just Duck & Tapioca as ingredient now I have my boy going real well, I'm slowly starting to add a new cooked food for breakfast only, just to see how he does but this has taken me 6months to get my boy stable with no Flares, vet want me to wait another 6months before trying any foods,he just does 2 small poos a day on his Eukanuba Intestinal cause its a low residue diet less poo & less work on their stomach & bowel it worth a try & its money back guarantee if poos don't firm up...

• 2 weeks later...

Dogs can still get an intolerance for the Hills or Royal Canin Hypoallergenic dry dogfoods.

My old girl did....she nearly tore herself apart scratching and once I stopped the hypoallergenic dry food and started to cook kangaroo mince for her the itchy skin problem went away.

After much trialling I was able to get her on Ziwipeak air dried (1 scoop) plus Natural Balance 1/8th cup each morning.

If I give her too much the itches will flare up but I feed her just enough to keep weight on her which kangaroo mince doesn't do....she still gets the kangaroo mince of an evening.

There doesn't seem to be anything that is a perfect fit for her, so I just keep feeding what I can and hope her multiple problems don't get too bad.

Dogs can still get an intolerance for the Hills or Royal Canin Hypoallergenic dry dogfoods.

My old girl did....she nearly tore herself apart scratching and once I stopped the hypoallergenic dry food and started to cook kangaroo mince for her the itchy skin problem went away.

After much trialling I was able to get her on Ziwipeak air dried (1 scoop) plus Natural Balance 1/8th cup each morning.

If I give her too much the itches will flare up but I feed her just enough to keep weight on her which kangaroo mince doesn't do....she still gets the kangaroo mince of an evening.

There doesn't seem to be anything that is a perfect fit for her, so I just keep feeding what I can and hope her multiple problems don't get too bad.

Have you tried "K9 Nautral" freeze dry the chicken feast has the least fat then the Venison, here's their site http://www.k9natural.com/ K9Natural was invented for dogs with skin problems, I cant use as the fat % is tooo high for my boy with his IBD..

Guest crazydoglady99

I have a raw fed dog that I spent over a year trialling food elimination diets with before I found out about these tests...within the month, I had received the test kit, sent the kit back and received the results. Fantastic to actually see the results...which did confirm some of my elimination diet results (but also disproved some of what I thought too!)

I have fed my dog by these results ever since, and not had one issue with dietary related issues. Best thing I ever did!

Are you in Australia koolietas? How did you get this test in aus?

Yes, as Dr Jean Dobbs is in America, I know your vet can send you to a place in Sydney that does the test but my vets said that you get false positives, do the test again & get different result... Elimintion diet is the only real way to know what your dog is allergic to...its pretty easy, I found Patch cant eat Potatoes Sweet potatos Pasta, barley, Rye, foods that are high in starch & Lectins...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I'm in Australia. Just log onto the nutriscan website and you can order the test kit and they will send to you. The test itself is easy to conduct, and they give you all the customs details/mailing tubes etc. to send back. I ordered and had the results in 4 weeks. I have followed the results and not had one issue with feeding since...best thing I ever did and in my experience was much better than trialling a food elimination diet which takes forever and can be difficult to conduct.

Guest crazydoglady99

Thanks Koolietas.

Am looking at having hair analysis done too.. seems to be a little faster (results within 1 week - not sure about cost though).

Petessentials ([email protected]) are the people recommended for dog hair testing.

Edited by crazydoglady99