Urticaria: Now Found To Be Caused By Wasp Sting

Wasps do not lose their stings as they are not barbed like those of bees ..they sting multiple times, then fly away . Bees lose their stingers, and intestines , and die ....

I am glad he is feeling better .

I never laugh at allergic reactions - AFAIK , with a lot of what you can SEE - there is often the same swelling happening inside the body - not funny at all . ( yes, a party pooper, sorry) :o

Wasps do not lose their stings as they are not barbed like those of bees ..they sting multiple times, then fly away . Bees lose their stingers, and intestines , and die ....

Yes, unless the wasp's stinger broke off somehow when in the ear? (if that's possible)

I know some vets are not aware of this difference.

The key thing about bee stings is you have to get the sting and the poison sack out immediately. Ideally by grabbing the sack from underneath - not by squeezing it at the top and emptying the remaining poison into the wound...

My mum tells this horrible tale of how my (romantic) dad tried to save a bee that stung mum but was still attached. Failed. And mum got the worst dose of bee sting poison ever.

My dog sometimes confuses bees and blowflies. It's not pretty, and even so she still forgets what happened last time. She shoved a bee up the bum and turned herself into a Bull Terrier on one occasion. Her nose was very swollen because the sting stayed in for a long time but she was ok.

My little Poppy went into anaphylactic shock a few weeks back after a bee sting. No hives or swelling, but went very flat and with grey gums and tongue - it was scary! I shoved an antihistamine down her throat and off to the emergency vet, as of course it was a Sunday. After steroids and more antihistamines she picked right up and was back to normal a few hours later.

We've since seen a dermatologist about desensitisation and she advised putting ice around the sting area and flick/scrap the sting out to help avoid any further venom going in. At the moment we have chosen not to go down the desensitisation path, but we now have an epipen for her and will be very vigilant with bees!

Glad Herbert is ok and if it's any consolation my vet said coming out in hives is far preferable to the 'going flat' reaction :)