Dry Nose

Kajtek

Both of my dogs suffer from very dry noses.

They do not spend too much time outside, are fed mostly raw (canine country), have access to fresh water 24/7, have nice/shiny coats and are in reasonably good health for 'old' bullies.

I put paw-paw ointment on their noses every morning and it sort of maintains the condition. It does not fix it.

What am I doing wrong? Can I add something to their diet to help the noses stay nice and healthy?

Help please

Edited by Kajtek

Guest crazydoglady99

Depending on the brand of paw paw.. many of them are 99% Vaseline.. which actually stops moisture. So it has the opposite effect to what you are after.

Coconut oil is great for dry skin (applied on skin and in food).

One of my dogs always has a dry nose, I've been using Papaw ointment too but it's not helping the situation. I have cold pressed coconut oil here so I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the tip Sheena.

I have been using paw paw ointment on my lips for years & they just seemed to be getting dryer.....one day, I decided to rub a bit of coconut oil into them & whammo.... :thumbsup: That's the only thing I will use now :)

I was always under the impression that dogs who spent a lot of time outside should have wet noses, dogs that are predominantly inside will have dry noses. I can't remember the reason for it, but if yours are rarely outside that could be why?

If its a problem I would be giving the coconut oil a try :)

I was always under the impression that dogs who spent a lot of time outside should have wet noses, dogs that are predominantly inside will have dry noses. I can't remember the reason for it, but if yours are rarely outside that could be why?

So did I.

But I found with Tibor, the older he got, the drier his nose became.

He was not confined to indoors but had time outside as well.

He also had a thyroid condition.

Adding the cocnut oil and the sardines helped his nose go back to that moist (healthy) feel & look. ( if that makes sense)

:xmassmile:

Thanks. Will do.

I was always under the impression that dogs who spent a lot of time outside should have wet noses, dogs that are predominantly inside will have dry noses.

I didn't know about that. I wonder why - may need to ask Google:-).

Staying inside is very much their choice. Someone is at home about 90% of the time so they come and go as they please.

But I found with Tibor, the older he got, the drier his nose became....

He also had a thyroid condition.

Adding the coconut oil and the sardines helped his nose go back to that moist (healthy) feel & look. ( if that makes sense)

Thanks. I will try.

No thyroid problems here but you got me thinking..... It may very well be age related - they are both quite 'mature' hehe