Swedish Vallhund Breeders

cannibalgoldfish

So.... I'm team shiba but I lost half the team. :( I'm always a shiba inu kinda person and that's final. However......

I'm getting another shiba, that's not an issue. But.... The Man Thing (Singe) wants a dog of his very own. We know our next boy is a shiba.. but he keeps talking about getting a dog of his own.. Our old boy Loki is getting on so we need to start to look at getting two dogs :( I'm putting my feelers out here. I love the vallhunds, and Singe has just discovered them and loves their looks as well! So, info? How do they go? If you can handle butt monkey shiba inu can you handle a vallhund? Can a Shiba and a Vallhund co-exist?

I did some googling... I think team shiba can handle a vallhund :D . I know my partner and I think a vallie will fit very well in our pack :D I know they are very different dogs but we will probably do ok.

Yes, shock, horror! I might be planning a future pet present! But I'm really looking for info about those lil nuggety vallhunds. Do tell me how we are doomed to fail?

Dont see how it could fail, tbh.

SIL has Mareemas, Vallhunds, Lappies and assorted crosses.

All live in harmony.

CBF, note I am saying 'harmony'.

The dogs live as a pack. She has few behaviour troubles.

Her Vallunds races after the Mareemas to help them work the goats.

I'll check with her of their foibles.

Sounds lovely for you.

:xmassmile:

Vallhunds are great dogs. My girl got along with every animal she encountered (except rats; she hunted them very well). I can highly recommend Sharon Donaldson of Ausled Swedish Vallhunds. She is so nice and will be happy to talk vall with you!

Corvus has one. I believe they are working dogs - so smart and active. People tend to think smart = east to train but I find the opposite to be true.

Agree! Smart = smart enough to know they don't have to do as you ask!

I suspect the Shiba is the same though, so I am sure you guys are well versed! Haha.

Corvus has one. I believe they are working dogs - so smart and active. People tend to think smart = east to train but I find the opposite to be true.

They do what they want in preference to your expectations from what the SIL has said.

I've baby-sat her pack.

Had to indulge in the evil eye look with them.

All good as she who has food control.

SS people who own GSDs and pembroke corgis often say they are verrrrrry similar. Might be a breed you could look into?

Vallhunds are stubborn but I found mine very easy to train because she was clever; she picked things up really quickly. Easy to train doesn't mean she was gonna listen when I asked her though :laugh: Just need to be a firm, strong owner with them, which I am sure, as a Shiba owner, CGF already is :)

My vall was also VERY sneaky and surprised us regularly throughout her life. Incredibly loving too. I still think she was the sweetest dog I've ever had the pleasure of living with. Big barker although not as easily set off as pembroke corgis (who will bark if they "think" they hear something, while my vall only barked when she did hear something - but she heard a lot of stuff :laugh: ).

Back to the stubborness - I think valls also have a bit of a rebellious wild streak. Perfect example was that my vallhund knew she was absolutely not allowed to take anything off the coffee table. One day we had people over, sitting around the coffee table, which had some muffins on it. She walked in, looked at everyone and then looked at the muffins. I caught her eye and said "uh" with a stern voice. She looked at me, paused (I like to think she then contemplated her options), GRABBED a muffin and ran! SO NAUGHTY but it was also quite comical. A corgi would never do that :laugh: And if they did, they'd drop it as soon as I said. A vallhund? Nope! They'd gobble it down before you could even say anything :laugh:

You should go meet some CGF!

Agree! Smart = smart enough to know they don't have to do as you ask!

I suspect the Shiba is the same though, so I am sure you guys are well versed! Haha

Oh god yes.... :o

Vallhunds are stubborn but I found mine very easy to train because she was clever; she picked things up really quickly. Easy to train doesn't mean she was gonna listen when I asked her though :laugh: Just need to be a firm, strong owner with them, which I am sure, as a Shiba owner, CGF already is

So you are pretty set for a shiba one day then Mim ? :D

I'm just tossing ideas abbout here, long term planning and stuff....

Swedish Vallhunds are smart working dogs, they need to have a fair amount of intelligence and capacity to use it independently or they would have been of little use on the farms in Sweden. They like to think of themselves as team members in the family, if you are the human in the family this means you will have to work out how to get the best co-operation from your Swedish Vallhund. In my experience they are easy to train, easy to live with and will give anything a go. They make sure I keep my sense of humour and challenge my lateral thinking - both are things I appreciate. They get on well with other animals, like to maneuver animals around a bit if not directed otherwise (this is their original use). They are keen rat and mice catchers.

They like to be with their owners helping with household chores, garden tasks, bushwalk, sport activity, wine/beer and movie on the couch. Being shut out from the family and their humans for long times is what they like least.

They feel at home in the bush, on the beach, in the country and in town.

My Swedish Valllhunds have canine friends amongst Chihuahuas and Great Danes and anything in between, they frequently visit old people and young kids, people with and without disabilities.

In short they are PERFECT.

So far so normal.. Do they have "I am god" issues that someshibas (ok, probably all of them except Loki) have? Are they pains in the butts with other dogs they don't know?

SIL has had a proper menagarie of dogs thro' her home over the years. Never heard her say that the Vallhunds were anything but 'fine'.

:)

So far so normal.. Do they have "I am god" issues that someshibas (ok, probably all of them except Loki) have? Are they pains in the butts with other dogs they don't know?

Not at all, in my experience.

SIL has had a proper menagarie of dogs thro' her home over the years. Never heard her say that the Vallhunds were anything but 'fine'.
Not at all, in my experience.

It gets better :D Boxhead wasn't dog aggressive as such (because I never let him) but if a dog pushed him or tried to get it on he was all for it :o You could say he didn't start the fights but he secretly wanted them... Dominant lil beast he was!

Loki however, (same breed, almost same breeding) is anti dog. Don't touch me, leave me alone... Mum!!!!!! it's sniffing my bum!! No breed stereotyping here :D