Best Water Bottle For Dog Walks?

Yonjuro

Hiya all,

I am looking for a water bottle for when we are on the go walking the blocks. I have an old crappy thing that I have had for years similar to this.

post-49154-0-18400100-1421582518_thumb.jpg

It really functions poorly as it takes an age to get the water to flow into the 'bowl' no insulation also makes it a poor unit in my opinion - at least the one I have is crappy :) but is around 14 years old LOL

Was thinking stainless steel and I have seen some that have a ball bearing that seems like it might be handy? Stainless seems ideal, based on the one my daughter takes to school that stays cold all day. I don't mind buying quality as I will use it every day. I do have some travel bowls, but I don't really want to carry a bowl and bottle on walks or to stop and muck about for too long

Anyway I thought I should ask the brains-trust here if they have seem anything new or worth checking out.

Many thanks! :)

I have a $2 soft pop top bottle. It's sold as a "doozie". Jake just drinks out the stream of water but having a bottom jaw that is and inch longer might make that easy for him. Its got a clip that fastens into my waist belt and weighs nothing.

I have a $2 soft pop top bottle. It's sold as a "doozie". Jake just drinks out the stream of water but having a bottom jaw that is and inch longer might make that easy for him. Its got a clip that fastens into my waist belt and weighs nothing.

Thanks, I will check it out :)

I scored a free one of these H2O4K9 Bottles at my agility club Xmas party and it's great. I also love the fact that the bottle and lid look like a little soldier!!http://www.h2o4k9.com/dog-travel-water-bottle-bowls/mini.html

They look pretty good, I can't find an aussie retailer though - do you know if they are available in Oz? I don't mind order from overseas if there are no better options :)

I use one of those small collapsible bowls and mine just attaches by a carabiner to my doggy walking belt. Depending on which doggy belt I'm using my water bottle is either in a spot on the belt or in a bottle carrier that just loops around my shoulder so I can be hands free. The same bottle waters me and fills the dogs bowl and if we run out I just top up at a tap.

Just adding that the bottle carriers I use suit big and small water bottles and they have been purchased at camping supply shops over the years. I have several different varieties.

Edited by Little Gifts

I scored a free one of these H2O4K9 Bottles at my agility club Xmas party and it's great. I also love the fact that the bottle and lid look like a little soldier!!http://www.h2o4k9.com/dog-travel-water-bottle-bowls/mini.html

They look pretty good, I can't find an aussie retailer though - do you know if they are available in Oz? I don't mind order from overseas if there are no better options :)

From my quick google search I couldn't find them at all in Australia either -- it's making me wonder how my agility club got them. I might shoot an email off to ask -- maybe they purchased from overseas. :shrug:

I just like that they're quite durable being metal and also BPA free!

Thanks for all the responses and ideas. I like the idea of stainless steel as it is great for staying cold and water always seems to taste better than from plastic - for what that worth ? :D

I just found this type that look like they might fit my requirements but also like the one RiverStar suggested.

http://www.mkdistributors.com/Good_Life_Gear/Welcome_to_Good_Life_Gear.html

I use one of those small collapsible bowls and mine just attaches by a carabiner to my doggy walking belt. Depending on which doggy belt I'm using my water bottle is either in a spot on the belt or in a bottle carrier that just loops around my shoulder so I can be hands free. The same bottle waters me and fills the dogs bowl and if we run out I just top up at a tap.

Just adding that the bottle carriers I use suit big and small water bottles and they have been purchased at camping supply shops over the years. I have several different varieties.

I just carry a tiny collapsible bowl similar to this:

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=2913&ParentCat=322

plus a bottle of water. Then I can have a drink too.

I do this too. We won the water bowl at Saxon's puppy preschool (for musical sits :D ) and it's soft fabric, super light and clips onto my treat pouch.

That H2O4K9 looks great though.

Yonjuro, while you're searching for a better bottle I thought I would mention I have the same crappy bottle as you. I'm sure I have bigger muscles on my right arm from trying to squeeze water out!

I ended up taking to the end with a knife and widening it a little. Its 100% better now and by some miracle doesn't leak when on its side. This might help while you're searching?

Yonjuro, while you're searching for a better bottle I thought I would mention I have the same crappy bottle as you. I'm sure I have bigger muscles on my right arm from trying to squeeze water out!

I ended up taking to the end with a knife and widening it a little. Its 100% better now and by some miracle doesn't leak when on its side. This might help while you're searching?

:thumbsup: good idea Roova, and yeah, they are crappy. I normally just unscrew the top, but they are quite unwieldy to use, but reaming it out might help while I am searching for a good one.

I have one of those collapsible silicon ones, and it's great in theory, but if I leave it down for him to drink out of (if we're visiting friends or something), he usually ended up tipping all the water out then grabbing it and racing around in circles with it before settling down to chew enormous holes in it.... needless to say, it's no longer watertight.

Couldn't you just use a thermos? Not much different to the h2O4K9 one really. Would keep water cool. Has a cup that screws off?

Quite possibly and I was thinking about this, but I think the price will be similar to the doggies one and the cup may not be wide enough for a husky snout :D

I bought this:

Dog Travel Bowl

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for, but it does not leak], which the fabric ones do. I simply clip it to my treat bag with a carabiner and Ernie and I share water from my bottle.

As I said, it's not ideal, but it's the best collapsible water bowl I've found yet.

Edited by Stressmagnet

search for an army issue water canteen. Many of them are made of metal, have a canvas cover, and come with a cup that the bottle sits in, and have a belt clip.

Like these

Maybe even a camping/outdoor store would have something similar?

I actually have a stainless steel army canteen, no cup unfortunately - but a good idea nonetheless :)

Same sort of thing here - we use a pop top water bottle (just one bought from the shop with water in it and I refill when I need to).

I bought this:

Dog Travel Bowl

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for, but it does not leak], which the fabric ones do. I simply clip it to my treat bag with a carabiner and Ernie and I share water from my bottle.

As I said, it's not ideal, but it's the best collapsible water bowl I've found yet.

That does look like a good one :)