Kibble For Dog With Sensitive Tummy

My Cavalier was exactly the same. As son as I took her off any form of chicken, it improved. Took about 2 weeks to firm up .

I also gave her Protexin, to help with the lining of her tummy and bowel

I wonder if Protexin would be better for Danny than Carafate? Another question for my vet LOL.

I think they will do different things. The protexin is to populate the gut with healthy bacterial flora, the Carafate is to treat and prevent ulcers and forms a protective coating. I will be interested in hearing what your vets says and if they can be used in conjunction :)

Unless you undertake a proper elimination diet, all guesses about what foods a dog has dietary insensitivity to are guesswork.

As I fed my girl exclusively on chicken and kibble based on chicken, it was easy to work out that she had the sensitivity to it. Once it was removed from her diet all was well

After all of this time here's me buying what I thought was "premium" expensive kibble and it might turn out that a $16 bag of supermarket food is the answer!

If that's what suits him - that's what suits him :laugh: .

:crossfingers: he continues to do well.

We just did the same. The super expensive ivory coat made our boy yeastie, supermarket optimum and he's perfect!

My Cavalier was exactly the same. As son as I took her off any form of chicken, it improved. Took about 2 weeks to firm up .

I also gave her Protexin, to help with the lining of her tummy and bowel

I wonder if Protexin would be better for Danny than Carafate? Another question for my vet LOL.

I think they will do different things. The protexin is to populate the gut with healthy bacterial flora, the Carafate is to treat and prevent ulcers and forms a protective coating. I will be interested in hearing what your vets says and if they can be used in conjunction :)

I did a bit of googling, Yonjuro, and came to that conclusion - but this laywoman's brain isn't really up to absorbing it all in from the written word. :o :o

He had a bit of a relapse yesterday with a giant runny poo at the park. That was fun to clean up. I suspect other members of the household have been giving into the puppy dog eyes and sharing their food. I've picked up a couple of nice, solid ones this morning so fingers crossed that's all it was.

I know he's definitely got issues with pig's ears as that's when he was at his worst when I was a naive new owner thinking pig's ears are good for his teeth and didn't put two and two together that they were the reason for his belly issues, but it seems there might be other things causing it as well. I'll give him a good week to see how he goes before introducing anything else. He's got his yearly checkup coming up in the next few months so if it's still an issue I'll bring it up there.

My 12 month old mix-breed has had a bit of a sensitive tummy since I adopted him at ~4 months old. He's now 12 months old and still just as sensitive. I have had to cut out anything like pig's ears as it gives him the runs, and honestly his stools are very rarely properly solid. He was on Pro Plan puppy large and that was probably the closest to 'ok' we've had him, but still not fantastic. I'm currently trying him on Applaws grain-free sensitive formula and I have picked up many giant poos from the yard today and difficult to pick up as they are so soft, but not quite runny. His gas isn't very pleasant today, either.

He was vet checked when he was at his worst, a few months ago when he had very watery, frequent diarrhoea. He was given some form of antibiotic for a few days and checked over and I was told nothing serious was up.

Is there a foolproof kibble for dogs with sensitive tummies? Or am I going to have to ride this rollercoaster of trial and error for some time yet?

Sounds like IBD you need a vet that knows about IBD a lot of vets don't know much about IBD.. & will just put ur dog on steroids,find a new vet, that has dealt with IBD IN DOGS & CATS........also vets that have Endoscope, Ultra Scan & have all the machines are normally better qualified vets, as they deal in more health problems then the small vet just up the road, I rescued Patch 2 years ago at the age of 4 yrs old who ever owned him before me just left him at the pound probably cause of his diarrhea & bloody poos (Colitis) cause they never treated him properly thru diet now I have him he has had so many problems that could of all been fix when he was a pup if put on a special diet, I have found he has food allergies cant eat Potatoes, Boiled Rice, Boiled rice isn't good for dogs with IBD as the cornered rice irritates the bowel making the problem worse, your vet should of put ur dog on a vet diet like "Eukanuba Intestinal" its a low residue kibble that is low in fat & low in fiber 1.70% fiber, all the dog foods in Pet shops don't have low enough fiber all around 4% as the premium dog food is made for healthy dogs..people think that u need more fiber but normally it less fiber if ur dog has the IBD with his small bowel, he'll need less fiber but if he has the IBD in the large bowel he'll need more fiber...your dog would of been put on Metronidazole, when the Metronidazole is finished if the sloppy poos havent stopped ask ur vet for a script of Tylan its used in America for diarrhea & is very safe to use its a powder that taste very bitter, u can put on food but It leave a awful taste in their mouth & some dogs stop eating their food, so u need to put the Tylan in empty capsules... Your vet should know about Tylan but a lot of vets don't cause they don't know much about IBD.... If ur vet does give you a script for Tylan Powder then you buy online at the http://www.thevetpharmacy.com.au/ it cost $40 my vet wanted $70 I said I can get it cheaper online you can also print out the prescription form & take to the vets, also join this group on Face Book called "Dogs With Inflammatory Bowel Disease" it a excellent group & everyone helps everyone out, also once you have ur boy on a proper diet, I really think thing will be better but if not you can also try enzymes, you can buy Eukanuba Intestinal online a 1 kilo bag cost $16 at the vets I buy the 5kilo bag Pet Circle sell it just say you were buying it at the vets & u got sick of having to go every fornight & u'd prefer it to be delivered to ur door it cost the same as the vets to be delivered yto ur door just make sure its the "Intestinal" not the "Intestinal Plus" the Intestinal Plus has 4% fiber not the 1.70%... If you go to Pet Barn tomorrow go to the Eukanuba section & look for "Sensitive Digestion" it has a little Boston Terrier on the white kibble bag, this formula is like the vet diet "Intestinal" but the fat is 13% instead of the vet diet 10% but that might be OK with ur boy but the fiber is only 1.70%, it's worth a try, then you'll have an idea that he needs less fiber or he doesn't Id say he does, also no treats, no bones, NOTHING just the Eukanuba Intestinal or the Eukanuba "Sensitive Digestion" also be careful with the Metronidazole my boy had real bad side effects when he stayed on the Metronidazole for more then 2 weeks it was awful...Good Luck I hope Ive helped, join the Face Book Group I'm always on there, Susan & Patch Patch the Staffy

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds to me it could be chicken intolerance then. Give it a few weeks on the Supercoat to see if it continues to work.

Perhaps at a later date try and introduce something other than fish to add some variety, such as Canidae Pure Land (bison and lamb, no chicken)?

My boy is allergic to pork and beef. Interestingly his initial diet food trial was pork and potato but overtime he has developed an allergy to it. Pigs ears as well gave me the first clue, but they are also very high in fat so it could be that too that is causing issues with your dog.

I've tried lots of foods (I have since found most manufacturers use pork fat so that explains why most cause issues) he does very well on hills z/d now.