Lump Near Nose

aliwake

Hi, Nix has had a lump just next to his nose for a couple of days. He doesn't like it being touched. He's been quite itchy lately, so my initial thought is an allergic reaction of some kind. I tried neocort on it last night with no noticeable change this morning.

Any ideas?

Would you wait a few days to see what happens or head to the vet asap?

Lump is on the right side of these pics - hope you can see it ok.

AqLtkucl.jpg

A70cuSol.jpg

Edited by aliwake

How can you tell he has the sads Steph?! :laugh:

Seriously, he does have resting sad face anyway, but he has been a bit mopey.

I managed to get an appt with the vet I prefer tomorrow morning.

Thanks for looking guys.

Well, just got back from the vet - was a nice long appt!

She thinks the lump is most likely a button cell tumour (benign). She said they usually resolve by themselves after about 6 months, if he'll leave it alone for that long. She said it's too flat at the moment to do a fine needle aspiration, so she would likely have to do a wedge biopsy, in which case she'd probably just remove the whole lump. So, the plan at the moment is short term wait and see. If it's button cell it should plump up in the next week or so, in which case she'll be able to do fine needle aspiration without any trouble. If it is button cell and it drives him nuts it will probably need removing anyway. So basically, will just keep an eye on it, and go back in a week or two to re-assess. I made it clear I'd prefer to know what it is for sure, and she agreed.

As well as that, she looked at some irritated spots on his tummy, which she says are secondary infections from his allergic scratching. So we have antibiotics for that (3/4 of a tablet dose no less! :laugh: )

Also have some ear stuff for his itchy ears (can't remember if it's antibiotic of steroid).

We discussed allergy blood tests and elimination diets too. I don't think his allergies are severe compared to some I've read about here, but they are certainly impacting him negatively.

She has given me a dosage of polaramine to try if I want, but she said only 30% of dogs respond to antihistamines.

Also have to wash him twice a week in the near future.

Lastly, he has PUT ON weight after me cutting back his food about 2 weeks ago - I can't believe it! I told her my theory that it's all the possum poo he eats that's making him fat, and she actually agreed! It makes sense cos he always looks great when we go away and he has no access to poo (despite all other food being the same). Not sure what I can do about that...

Glad everything seems okay regarding the lump. The number and different sorts of lumps dogs (and humans) can get is extraordinary :eek: :eek:

Could it be the possum poo that is causing his allergies? I found antihistamines didn't help my dog with scratching issues. I keep him on a small dose of Prednisolone, however, he is quite elderly, and I admit I would be loathe to go down that road with a young dog.

Good luck.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Thanks DDD. I'm somewhat relieved, but there's clearly a lot going on we need to deal with too, so it's a little daunting. We talked about so many things too, which is a relief, but I definitely have information overload. So glad I insisted on seeing this particular lady - we get on very well!

I think I forgot to mention she did a swab/scraping of the lump to check for ringworm or similar, but it was clear. Good to have one thing ruled out at least.

I'm not sure about being allergic to possum poo - he's eaten it from day one, but his allergies are definitely worse at the moment, so I suspect they're seasonal. He also sleeps inside at night, and when he gets mucky eyes from allergies they're often worst first thing in the morning, so I suspect dust and or humans are a better bet for allergies. She also said some dogs are allergic to cleaning products, so that's another 'inside' possibility too.

Edited by aliwake

I've been thinking about you and your boy today. Good that you saw a vet you get along well with. I've never heard of a button cell tumour but it sounds to be not a lot to worry about.

I get it that you want to know what it is for sure, so would I. You'll find out more in another couple of weeks. Hopefully it will resolve itself if he leaves it alone.

Did the vet suggest a short course of Pred to deal with his allergies?

Aww, thanks cavNrott, lovely of you to be thinking about us.

I think the formal name for button cell tumour is histiocytoma, so that might sound more familiar?

she may have mentioned pred at some stage, but we talked about so many things! I think we sort of decided to take care of the most pressing things today, and we'll reassess when I go back.

I will update you all again after we go back :)

Edited by aliwake