New Chinese Crested

Fergiesmum

I have just got a chinese crested pup 10 months old. What would you recommend for skin care? I have read about regular bathing etc. I am after recommendations of brands of products. Ie What shampoo, moisturizer and sunscreen. :) I was told coconut oil...Thoughts?

post-50736-0-22566000-1423177567_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

I am sorry that you haven't had any responses yet on this or the one you posted in the health section. I have no experience with Cresties, but have a reasonable laypersons knowledge of skin care.

Again I am not sure of specifics for the unusual nature of a crestie - but my thoughts are as follows;

Any shampoo will rob the skin of the nature oils that the dog will use to self regulate skin condition. When bathing is necessary, I would recommend something all natural with no sulphates added and designed for sensitive skin. Perhaps look at the "Essential Dog" range of products.

Calendula Tea would make a great alternative to shampoo as it won't rob the skin of oils and will be good for blackheads etc. I would recommend soaking a sponge or soft face cloth so you can wash this way, it will also stimulate the skin. There is a very long thread in the health section which goes through Calendula is depth.

Coconut Oil will be good internally and possibly externally. I would make sure that your dog is not in the sun when the oil is still on the skin. It is pretty tasty so your dog may just lick it off where accessible. But a massage with the oil should be very good on occasions, and this will work as a moisturiser.

A good diet is going to be the best thing for healthy skin. Hopefully some crestie people will see this and be able to give you better info that I have offered :)

I'd recommend you join a Facebook page "Chinese Cresteds of Australia", there are breeders and owners on there.

There is also a CC Rescue on Facebook - join "No Hairs Ark" in VIC - they've been an enormous help to us at Iggy Rescue with advice as we rescue CCs every now and then and this is what I've learned - they need to have their skin cleaned daily with unscented wipes.

Shampoo once a week with gentle shampoo - no Lanolin in.

They can only have cotton next to their skin so in winter you'll need to get them something like a cotton singlet before you put a coat on.

Too much exposure to the sun is not good for them and they can get cancers.

They can also get blackheads. As a breed they tend to have poor teeth so you need to do regular checks/dentals. They need special anaesthetic like the sighthounds.

They are funny little dogs - I love their quirky little ways!

Just wanted to follow up on what dogmad has said, and please don't take this as a dig, but I think the following are myths that just tend to get repeated from site to site.

No Lanolin - I often hear that cresties are allergic to wool - mine love sleeping on their sheepskin rugs with no side affects at all and have worn wollen jumpers too.

They can only have cotton next to their skin - as above, mine happily wear fleeces and fabrics that are not cotton next to their skin - the majority of their clothes are cotton, but I have no issues with them when they wear synthetic fabrics. You need to let their skin have some 'breathing' time whatever they wear.

They need special anaesthetic like the sighthounds. Unfortunately mine have had several anaesthetics, but no different to other small dogs. I did raise this with our vet at one point but they found nothing to believe this was the case or needed.

They are funny little dogs - I love their quirky little ways! - no disagreement here :laugh:

Edited by CrazyCresties

Just wanted to follow up on what dogmad has said, and please don't take this as a dig, but I think the following are myths that just tend to get repeated from site to site.

No Lanolin - I often hear that cresties are allergic to wool - mine love sleeping on their sheepskin rugs with no side affects at all and have worn wollen jumpers too.

They can only have cotton next to their skin - as above, mine happily wear fleeces and fabrics that are not cotton next to their skin - the majority of their clothes are cotton, but I have no issues with them when they wear synthetic fabrics. You need to let their skin have some 'breathing' time whatever they wear.

They need special anaesthetic like the sighthounds. Unfortunately mine have had several anaesthetics, but no different to other small dogs. I did raise this with our vet at one point but they found nothing to believe this was the case or needed.

They are funny little dogs - I love their quirky little ways! - no disagreement here :laugh:

I was gunna say all of the above :thumbsup: Mine wears those really cheap jumpers fron Cheap As Chips with no issues at all. At just $5 they are great value and the large size fits my boy perfectly.

Maybe the difficulty arises when coats (of any material) are left on then.

I've come across several cresties with very bad skin who've had coats left on them.

I've also taken some of the advice from Crestie experts as I knew nothing at all about the breed.

It's great if they are not as challenging as I've been led to believe but they would definitely need more care than a normal dog ...

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

How did I Totally miss this thread :) first off Congrats :) you will never go back to having a normal dog..

I don't wash too much, in fact I found it was causing issues, I do however use coconut oil on dry skin.

yup as some have said about materials of jackets, (mine have no probs) my oldest feels the cold cause he spent more time in nsw before coming to tassie so I have heaps of different jackets for him, I keep them clean & washed regularly, my youngest Rumba doesn't feel the cold near as much so he lives naked more often than not.

I feed my boys a grain free fish based dog food as well as raw meats, the fish oil is good for their skin. having moved them over to this I find the older one doesn't get boils..

I do not use sunscreen on either boy as they are both dark skinned & they need vitamin D, suncreen is toxic for us let alone for a dog. I did make four legged pj style jumpers out of rash vest material for those times when the uv is high if we are out in the sun.. lol I call them their swimmers.. I should get some photos of that :)

they are not normal dogs lol, they are even better

Cresteds really love their people, both mine are velcro dogs though Krusty is very laid back for the breed & will cuddle with just about anyone, but will always come back to me :) he knows I'm his mum :) Rumba however gets a bit nervous if anyone else shows to much attention to him, he prefers my attentions :)

has your puppy started doing Zoomies yet?? its where they run around in circles or figure 8s flat stick :)

Forgot to say your little pup is just adorable :)

also yes there is a crested thread in the breed sub forums.. I just posted in there so it should be close to the top of the list

Edited by Kazhak