Puppy Buyers

DobieMum

As a breeder, I don't want to know their whole life story - although I know some breeders do. I only want to know that they are the best people to have my precious pup.

As for "sudden" buys - I had a call from someone for a puppy. We had some discussions, their dog died suddenly and they wanted to replace him asap. Nothing wrong with that, imho.

I too was one of 'those' before I got my AmStaff, Georgia. I knew a wanted a purebred AmStaff because I wanted to avoid the 'pit bull' label. Luckily, I had some lovely breeders help me 'get it'.

With Ernie, Im afraid I DID have long conversations about my life since I needed the breeder to understand that some days I'm not active and why. I was upfront about my temperment needs and as a result, I had to wait for my perfect guy. But boy, I asked some stupid questions in the beginning.

Edited by Stressmagnet

The general public don't know etiquette most times so asking about a puppy is no different .

When I was looking for my first puppy, I was obviously calling at the wrong times, so I emailed breeders. It is wasn't just a hi, how much either. . I barely got a response. It was very disappointing.

The same happened with the second puppy also.

So I don't know.

The breed I didn't go with, Siberian Huskies, the breeders were brilliant.

I am currently waiting for a pup from a breeder I contacted a few months ago. This is the first time I've ever bought a dog from a registered breeder, and it is a bit intimidating for a first timer. Especially when you have done some research and know that you want a pup from this particular breeder. I still haven't asked about price as I don't want to give the wrong impression and blow my chances!

I still haven't asked about price as I don't want to give the wrong impression and blow my chances
!

You don't want to rock up to pick up your puppy and freak at the price then? I hate surprises so I guess I'd be asking what I could expect.

For the breeders in the thread - when is the right time to ask how much?

I still haven't asked about price as I don't want to give the wrong impression and blow my chances
!

You don't want to rock up to pick up your puppy and freak at the price then? I hate surprises so I guess I'd be asking what I could expect.

For the breeders in the thread - when is the right time to ask how much?

I couldn't care less if people ask me straight away to be honest. It's a big expense and people need to know what they're looking at. Just don't argue the price, that never goes down well :laugh:

When I was looking at buying a puppy I usually sent an email about myself, got to know the breeder a little and then asked price. I've always had replies back from breeders, even before I became involved in showing.

There are people out there that aren't so good putting things in writing or don't want to give out too much information until they know there's actually a suitable puppy for them, doesn't mean they won't be a good home.

I am well informed and experienced and still find the whole process quite stressful. I didn't have any problems getting our chi or poodle mostly spoke with really nice breeders but when we were looking for a pom I emailed/called all the breeders with dogs I liked on DOL that had pups coming up or available, the only two to reply (I put enough detail) wouldn't let there pups go to homes with children, in the end we gave up (after a few months) and got a byb chixpom who is perfect.

If any of the breeders had taken their time to actually reply since I put effort into my messages, they would have known I was quite happy for them to do a home check, meet my kids etc and then be judged as suitable or unsuitable home.

I prefer to support good registered breeders but I refuse to be treated like dirt and grovel for a pup.