Fatty Dacchie

griff

http://lifestyle.ninemsn.com.au/viralvideo/484372/once-obese-dachshund-drops-20kg.glance

Dennis is a miniature dachshund, but in 2013 he was not so miniature — he weighed 25kg, about four or five times what a healthy dog of his breed should have.

Ohio resident Brooke Burton adopted Dennis from his former owner, who had fed him burgers and pizza, and gave him a strict diet and exercise regime (and three surgeries to tuck away his loosening skin). Now he's just 5.5 kilos, barely a quarter of his former weight.

"He's into everything [now], he wants to play with everybody," Burton told the Associated Press.

Jeez, he weighed almost as much as Ernie.

Don't get me started on fat Labradors. The next time I'm with the labrador club I'm going to take some photos so you can believe what I see. At least two of he labs are Ernie's size and easily EASILY 70kgs. Of course, funny how their owners are also in the same shape and sit on chairs for the whole get together.

I get asked by said owners EVERY time if Ernie is 'purebred' because he's so 'small and skinny'. I'm getting a bit snarky as my last reply was 'yes, just like me' (I weigh 72kgs at 179cms). Soon I will be bashed if they can heft themselves out of their chairs to do so. I think it's abuse to do that to an animal, plain and simple.

That poor dog!

How could you not see that he was majorly fat? I am actually surprised he could walk at al with his little legs and long spine frown.gif

Don't get me started on fat Labradors. The next time I'm with the labrador club I'm going to take some photos so you can believe what I see. At least two of he labs are Ernie's size and easily EASILY 70kgs. Of course, funny how their owners are also in the same shape and sit on chairs for the whole get together.

I get asked by said owners EVERY time if Ernie is 'purebred' because he's so 'small and skinny'. I'm getting a bit snarky as my last reply was 'yes, just like me' (I weigh 72kgs at 179cms). Soon I will be bashed if they can heft themselves out of their chairs to do so. I think it's abuse to do that to an animal, plain and simple.

I know. Some of the labrador people are the worst..

I was on a group on fb for breeder evaluations as i am trying to learn about dog structure, i had to leave as all of the labs there I would easily term obese, some morbidly so. And then someone posted a gorgeous fit lab and was bashed for it icon_smile_mad.gif

And i bet Ernie could run rings around their dogs!

ETA: Cavs are sadly the same Stressmagnet

Edited by denali

Obesity is the worst thing you can do to any dog. It can lead to so many other serious health issues. And I love how some people rationalise the shite they feed them 'but she loves cheese!'. Of course she does but she'd hardly know it even existed if you hadn't fed it to her first.

There was a show called "downsize my pet" on the telly last weekend - from NZ

They downsized (partially) a very fat dalmation. I've met a few dalmations you can play cards on their backs they're so fat.

One owner said they couldn't limit the food because if they did - the dog started eating rocks out the garden and that was worse... I guess more expensive.

I've seen a few really really fat labs. So fat they get puffed out in 30 seconds barking at you when you go by their gate...

And my fat friend, her fat hubby and fat BC. The BC is 12 years old at the moment - but I figure - morbidly obese, good chance it has diabetes and they think that it panting all the time means it's happy.

That poor dog!

How could you not see that he was majorly fat? I am actually surprised he could walk at al with his little legs and long spine frown.gif

I know. Some of the labrador people are the worst..

I was on a group on fb for breeder evaluations as i am trying to learn about dog structure, i had to leave as all of the labs there I would easily term obese, some morbidly so. And then someone posted a gorgeous fit lab and was bashed for it icon_smile_mad.gif

And i bet Ernie could run rings around their dogs!

ETA: Cavs are sadly the same Stressmagnet

Yup. I have a friend with an elderly Cav and in my opinion, he could lose a kilo or two and be a much happier fellow.

Dogs will eat whatever you give them. Ernie likes everything but why wouldn't he? Just because something tastes nice doesn't mean you feed it to your dog! The rule in our house WAS 'no people food, ever'. Of course that got broken the first time the girls had a sleepover and Ernie discovered potato chips. But just cos he likes them, doesn't mean that's what he gets.

And I'm trying to trim about a kilo off him. To my great embarassment, the girls misinterpreted my feeding instructions and the little guts has been getting extra food. So more exercise, less food. No fat dog has a good life. The pain on the joints and the lack of ability cannot be fun for them. Or maybe all the cheese and table scraps and potato chips are worth it?

I get asked all the time what Jager is crossed with as he isn't fat and doesn't have issues breathing. The amount of pugs that I come across that are heavily overweight and make the most horrendous noise when they breathe breaks my heart. How can people do that to their pets?

I put a lot of effort into keeping Jager fit, and I think it is so sad that people just assume all pugs are fat.