Coats For Largish Terriers?

Scottsmum

The other one I got was a Purina Wag wear - Haven't test driven it yet, looks OK, seems to fit a bit better than the WB - even though the cut is similar. Was a lot cheaper than the WB (from memory). Has reflective tape on it, a hole for a harness and velcro straps. Fleece lined (Vs. the WB poly lining - which doesn't hold hair) https://www.petlife.com.au/dogproducts/wagwear/size-guide/ - Got it from PetO in Alexandria for Sydney siders who are interested. $29

When Idiot Dog was a puppy, he had a Wag Wear coat and even though the back of the coat (towards the loin) was a bit lose on him, for a pet shop coat, it was probably one of the best.

Damned if I know what the style was called but it actually looked quite nice and wasn't a shapeless piece of stiff fabric with straps on it.

post-19844-0-42677000-1428807067_thumb.jpg

:) Very cute - I'm a bit scared of leaving anything on him that he cant easily wiggle out of - when I'm not around so his "day rug" needs to be a velcro fastened one similar to a horse rug - which obviously comes with limitations around fit.

Unless of course you count this kind of rug - which absolutely falls into the "table cloth" or "shapeless piece of fabric" category.

post-51207-0-36711300-1428808288_thumb.jpg

Crazy Sales currently have Hurtta coats if you are looking biggrin.gif

Hope you're on commission for enabling, LisaCC :rofl: . My Kirra really didn't need another coat - but hey, she is 13, and has done so much for me, and she will need to be warm this winter ......... so a nice red Hurtta winter coat will be on its way to her. :D

Kirra's lovely red Hurtta Winter Jacket arrived this morning - good service by Crazy Sales! She's a skinny minny, but longish in the body, so the 55 is big around - but can be cinched in nicely - and the length is perfect - covers her little old butt and upper legs completely. It will be perfect for the winter - although she did wonder why I was putting it on her on this warm sunny autumn day.

Happy to have been enabled :laugh: .

And yes, ness, 55 would be too big for Ken hear. :D , you'll be glad to hear.

Kirra's lovely red Hurtta Winter Jacket arrived this morning - good service by Crazy Sales! She's a skinny minny, but longish in the body, so the 55 is big around - but can be cinched in nicely - and the length is perfect - covers her little old butt and upper legs completely. It will be perfect for the winter - although she did wonder why I was putting it on her on this warm sunny autumn day.

I like my Hurtta coats too.

55 might be too big for Kenz, but I'm sure Lira will grow into 1 :)

I like my Hurtta coats too.

55 might be too big for Kenz, but I'm sure Lira will grow into 1 :)

I wasn't going to mention that piper :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

So I also got a small chilly dog from k9 pro which I picked up from the post office this morning.

It looks great. Its a bit long on him - 1 or 2 cm past his tail - but I dont mind that as it means his bum will stay dry when we're in the rain.

He did have a small melt down - he managed to get pee IN the belly band and he really chucked a fit. First he stopped dead still on his bum (I thought he was going to scoot), then he flicked around looking at his tummy, walked maybe 100m more, another fast and very determined sit, looking down at his stomach. He really freaked me out as he was a bit down yesterday & vomited his dinner up last night too. Anyhow, I ran my hands over him / his belly and copped a wet hand of pee - GROSS - but better than a trip to the vet.

All that said - I think an XS would have been too small.

So... I will add an extra band of velcro to take the belly band up a tiny notch. So "Mr. Can't aim my wee, cant handle peeing on myself" can walk in warmth. Photos to follow when it's off the clothes horse.

Crazy Sales currently have Hurtta coats if you are looking biggrin.gif

Hope you're on commission for enabling, LisaCC :rofl: . My Kirra really didn't need another coat - but hey, she is 13, and has done so much for me, and she will need to be warm this winter ......... so a nice red Hurtta winter coat will be on its way to her. :D

Good stuff thumbsup1.gif Our dogs will be matching in their size 55 red Hurtta Jackets laugh.gif

• 1 month later...

So a full update a few months (6-7 weeks) later:

Last years weatherbeeta - Still going strong.

This years wag wear - stitching coming undone on chest strap

Dapper dog - good for a day coat, great fit, no warmth in it at all.

Chilly dog - I suspect as above with the dapper dog - but Scottie wees on the belly band and doesn't like wearing it because of that

Hey scottsmum, that sucks about the wag wear - mine is still strong and together after 5 years.

Maybe take it to a horse rug fixer and get them to re sew the front strap and maybe go over other stitching? Shouldn't cost much at all. Then it's stronger and still a satisfactory fit and warmth? Depending on state we can give you reccomendations :)

Hey scottsmum, that sucks about the wag wear - mine is still strong and together after 5 years.

Maybe take it to a horse rug fixer and get them to re sew the front strap and maybe go over other stitching? Shouldn't cost much at all. Then it's stronger and still a satisfactory fit and warmth? Depending on state we can give you reccomendations :)

Ta. :) I've tacked it up. So well see how we go from here.