Breeding Of Chihuahua?!?!

I feel that the tiniest toy bitches should be desexed before the first season. Most tiny toys are fully mature at 10 months anyway and the risk of attracting a larger male to a female in season is not worth the extra hassle. Even the larger toy breeds (Pugs, Cavaliers etc) do not seem to have maturity/growth problems when desexed before the first season in my experience.

Medium, large and giant breeds are the ones that really benefit from tubal ligation - absolutely no chance of reproduction and correct growth hormones until maturity.

My first experience of spey incontinence was with my greyhound. It was a little messy when it first started as it coincided with a UTI. But no real dramas once the medication kicked in. My second experience was with my Stafford cross and again, she had a few UTIs (confirmed with urine dip tests) before incontinence was proven.

I guess I'm just not sure why people might want to keep a pet entire - it's not as if de-sexing is expensive compared to the expense of some of the consequences of keeping them entire. It would be different if we were talking a potential National Champion I'm sure but for a pet...I struggle to understand why some people prefer not to de-sex.

I reckon my Amstaff girl's aggression was due to the Propalin she was on to sort out her spay incontinence. She was noticeably more irritable and nervous on it.

If I ever have another bitch, I won't be spaying her until she's mature. Vets never tell you about this stuff until it's too late.

I have three entire males. No issues with fighting, marking inside or anything. Why should I desex them? One had Suprelorin for a medical issue at one stage and his temperament was awful. Totally horrible and I never want to have to deal with that again.

My bitch is desexed as I believe in desexing once they have finished having their babies or are too old to breed. I have previously had a bitch with Pyo and I do have to say from a totally selfish point of view it is easier having her desexed with the three boys and having to deal with the hormones and keeping them all separated

I'd prefer an entire dog to a desexed one who has to take medication for spey incontinence. There's also no extra expense involved in keeping an entire dog?

There is an extra expense when an entire bitch gets sick - de-sexing a bitch means that she won't develop mammary cancer, Pyometra, uterine or ovarian cancer. Also, an "accidental" pregnancy costs money assuming the bitch is seen by a vet and the litter is looked after for both routine and emergency care. In males, leaving them entire puts them at risk of testicular cancer among other "complications".

As a pet owner, I don't see any reason to take chances like that with my dogs' health...mine have always been de-sexed because I'm not a breeder and have no desire to become one. :)

I think its personal preference. If you're savvy enough to manage an entire animal successfully, I'm all about it.

I also however wouldn't judge someone not savvy or confident enough for desexing.

We desexed Gus at 12 months, we live in an area where roaming dogs are common, and while our yard is secure I've seen the lengths dogs will go to to get to a bitch in season and the american bulldog thing next door was too very tempting at one point.

You have to do what works for you guys, of course the longer into adolescence you can make it the better, but I certainly can't say I'd judge someone for avoiding an accidental litter they couldn't otherwise guarantee wasn't going to happen.

I'd prefer an entire dog to a desexed one who has to take medication for spey incontinence. There's also no extra expense involved in keeping an entire dog?

There is an extra expense when an entire bitch gets sick - de-sexing a bitch means that she won't develop mammary cancer, Pyometra, uterine or ovarian cancer. Also, an "accidental" pregnancy costs money assuming the bitch is seen by a vet and the litter is looked after for both routine and emergency care. In males, leaving them entire puts them at risk of testicular cancer among other "complications".

As a pet owner, I don't see any reason to take chances like that with my dogs' health...mine have always been de-sexed because I'm not a breeder and have no desire to become one. :)

Desexing actually increases some cancers in dogs also so it's not that simple. Also isn't risking spey incontinence taking a chance with your pets health? No option is risk free, life isn't risk free.

I think its personal preference. If you're savvy enough to manage an entire animal successfully, I'm all about it.

I also however wouldn't judge someone not savvy or confident enough for desexing.

We desexed Gus at 12 months, we live in an area where roaming dogs are common, and while our yard is secure I've seen the lengths dogs will go to to get to a bitch in season and the american bulldog thing next door was too very tempting at one point.

You have to do what works for you guys, of course the longer into adolescence you can make it the better, but I certainly can't say I'd judge someone for avoiding an accidental litter they couldn't otherwise guarantee wasn't going to happen.

Absolutely! We have to make the choices we feel comfortable with and weigh up the pros and cons in each individual situation.

Absolutely! We have to make the choices we feel comfortable with and weigh up the pros and cons in each individual situation.

Bang on! And the prospect of captain dingbat getting out and making flat coat x american bulldog puppies left me cold. Haha.

Desexing can cause or increase some cancers. So its not a magic bullet. Yes Pyometra - especially in older bitches is a valid issue. Just because your dog is desexed younegr does not mean it will never get mammary cancer but the chances are reduced but a lot.

I have had entire dogs of various breeds adn sexes over the years and haven't had an oops litter yet. Yes it can happen but a vast majority of oops litters are from ignorance, can't really be bothered trying to hard to keep them apart or I only took my eyes off them for a minute.

Yes split, silent seasons, kids and husbands can sometimes create oops litters.

Do Tubal Ligation for bitches and a Vasectomy for dogs and we have a win, win situation.

Keep them sterile and of no use to the puppy farmers and the back yard breeders.

Isn't ectopic pregnancy still possible when a tubal ligation has been done?

So you would have to very careful the female isn't mated when she is in season.