Looking For A Good Trainer

Hi All

I have a 1.5yr old Cocker that has started barking and acting aggressive towards dogs when she is out although her behaviour is driven more from fear and anxiety than maliciousness after she was attacked by another dog. Im wanting some help from a trainer to help get her over this as I want to take her to dog shows with me when I take my new puppy out but obviously cant when she is acting this way.

Can anyone recommend someone who can help?

Im around Parramatta NSW but happy to travel up to 1hr for someone good.

Cheers

Willowlane

Have emailed Steve and tried calling the last 2 days but no reply. Im away this weekend so will see if I get an email or call.

Hi WL, I work at K9 Pro but I've been on sick leave the last couple of days as I have lost my voice (so no good answering phones or calling people back!) - if you send me a PM through here I will definitely be able to help you :) (ETA otherwise I will be back in the office on Monday)

Edited by huski

Hi WL, I work at K9 Pro but I've been on sick leave the last couple of days as I have lost my voice (so no good answering phones or calling people back!) - if you send me a PM through here I will definitely be able to help you :) (ETA otherwise I will be back in the office on Monday)

I prescribe cuddles with Blaze as a means to recover quickly.

Hope you feel better soon.

:flower:

I'm just about to start Volatile Dogs classes for dogs that are over-aroused or anxious around other dogs. They start in a couple of weeks if all goes according to plan. Setups are helpful IME. It gives you a controlled environment where you can be sure the dogs won't be pushed beyond what they can cope with. I set up the classes to give people an affordable and structured way to work on coping skills and desensitisation with my supervision and in a venue where we won't get interrupted by other dogs coming through out setups. There is another trainer that was running reactive dogs classes at Farmer Dave's. I'm not sure if she is still doing it there, but she is running them on the North Shore, I believe.

ETA Volly Dogs classes will be in the Sutherland Shire.

Edited by corvus

Interesting.

Ernie's best friend is a cocker of the same age - 1 year.

He's recently taken to growling and snapping at any other dog that happens to play with Ernie. His owner stops him immediately with a No but then cuddles him, saying he's insecure. I think she's rewarding him for the behaviour.

And of course sweet Ernie is no help. When the play escalates to where Ollie (the cocker) is snapping and growling at the other dog. Ernie just ends the play and comes and sits by me, bemused.

Ollie NEVER growls and snaps at Ernie - no matter how silly the play gets.

How should I bring the subject up with my friend? She's a really good mate and I don't want to offend her but if Ollie keeps this up - one day the other dog is going to turn around and give him a good seeing to.

Edited by Stressmagnet

Interesting.

He's recently taken to growling and snapping at any other dog that happens to play with Ernie. His owner stops him immediately with a No but then cuddles him, saying he's insecure. I think she's rewarding him for the behaviour.

And of course sweet Ernie is no help. When the play escalates to where Ollie (the cocker) is snapping and growling at the other dog. Ernie just ends the play and comes and sits by me, bemused.

Ollie NEVER growls and snaps at Ernie - no matter how silly the play gets.

How should I bring the subject up with my friend? She's a really good mate and I don't want to offend her but if Ollie keeps this up - one day the other dog is going to turn around and give him a good seeing to.

Sounds remarkably like a form of resource guarding to me. However I'm not a qualified and experienced behaviourist used to dealing with dog aggression. Most importantly, I've never seen the dog. She needs to see an experienced professional if she's going to continue to put her dog in such situations.

I would be stopping it when it started and avoiding those situations until it was sorted (if it can be).

Cocker spaniels are tough buggers, not a soft little toy breed. Time his owner stopped explaining his behaviour in soft terms and calls it what it is. "Aggression". When you use that word you run out of excuses for your dog's behaviour. At that point, you can move into dealing with it. Her dog's safety depends on her stepping up and dealing with him.

I recall a very eminent dog behaviourist commenting some years ago that if people put as much effort and time into dealing with unwanted dog aggression as they did into diagnosing and explaining why it occurs, we'd have a lot less problem dogs in the world.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Interesting.

Maybe he is insecure, and maybe she's rewarding the behaviour, or maybe she's not. Even if the behaviour is becoming more frequent, it's not necessarily because the owner is reinforcing it. This is why trainers and behaviourists should do functional analyses for problem behaviours. IMO a good functional analysis involves some experimentation if possible. I'm a pretty good guesser, but why guess when you can test? You can develop very specific and effective training plans if you know the function of a behaviour, and you don't need emotionally-laden words. Just objective observations.

Interesting.

Maybe he is insecure, and maybe she's rewarding the behaviour, or maybe she's not. Even if the behaviour is becoming more frequent, it's not necessarily because the owner is reinforcing it. This is why trainers and behaviourists should do functional analyses for problem behaviours. IMO a good functional analysis involves some experimentation if possible. I'm a pretty good guesser, but why guess when you can test? You can develop very specific and effective training plans if you know the function of a behaviour, and you don't need emotionally-laden words. Just objective observations.

Yep, with humans you would never undertake a behavioural intervention without functional analysis.

Interesting.

Yep, with humans you would never undertake a behavioural intervention without functional analysis.

Which is why folks, I post so often and ask for help. My only claim is to have owned some very bolshie dogs in the past and have had to call in experts. While I would never dream of telling her how to manage her dog - I'll be interested to see how it plays out. Her Ollie is a really lovely boy but her only other experience EVER with dogs is her Cavalier, who is the softest sweetest boy ever. Ollie is a little firecracker and has attitude and personality plus. How he ends up will be up to her and him and I guess to some extent Ernie and I. As Ernie refuses to engage, Ollie may learn that such behaviour stops the fun.

But aren't cockers such big dogs in little packages??

Edited by Stressmagnet

Interesting.

And really good dog handling skills, great people communication skills and good insurance. :)

"Wolves in sheeps clothing" were the words used by one dog trainer I respect.

They need boundaries, training and a firm but fair hand or they can be little monsters. They are NOT lap dogs.

"Wolves in sheeps clothing" were the words used by one dog trainer I respect.

They need boundaries, training and a firm but fair hand or they can be little monsters. They are NOT lap dogs.

Well, my friend is in for a sharp shock as she treats him as if he was another Cav.