Weird Enquiries/requests

MonElite

When I have a litter of puppies I get sometimes really weird enquiries, questions, requests. Sometimes I shake my head in disbelief but most of the time I answer calmly, explain, educate etc.

Now I have not bred a litter for about 18 months, and don't plan on having one this year either. But still get enquiries from time to time.

So I got an email the other day and it said

I would like to get a puppy sometime in the next few years. There aren't many dobermanns near where I live so can I come to your house and spend a day interacting with your dog.

Weird things that I felt about this were

1. email address didn't end with .au

2. they referred to my dog (not dogs) so I imagine if they were actually interested in getting a dog from me, they would have found my website and know I have more then one dog.

3. Spend a day at my house?? WFT?

Being a nice person I replied that I'm happy to chat to them at the upcoming show, gave details etc.

Of course never heard back. Probably a scam of some sort.

But!

This is not the first time I had this type of a request - can I come to your place and play with your dogs. People called me, emailed me, some woman wanted to bring her 3 kids and her sisters 2 kids.

I feel like saying - It's not a F**ing Zoo that you bring a herd of kids to look at the animals and spend your Sunday picnicking in my yard.

And sometimes I feel likes just saying - yeah sure - its $50 per person entry fee and you are only allowed to feed the animals food purchased from us.

So what weird requests did you get?

I had a request once for the potential owners to see 'the act' that was going to lead to their having a puppy.

Considering that the male involved never tied in front of humans like that could ever happen. The bitch being used was not a given that she would even succeed with a maiden litter.

:eek:

Edited by VizslaMomma

Oh yeah.............

I had a guy rang me up couple of times!!! asking if I my male has the large bulbs when he ties. And if I like to touch them.

At first I thought it was a joke but when he rang me second and third time I knew he was a weird sexual freak of nature.

I happened to be on the train on the way back from work and yelled at him - don't ever call me again you sicko.

followed by a bunch of other very descriptive words. To the amusement of some fellow train travelers next to me :)

That was definitely the strangest of all the calls in regards to dogs I ever got

Edited by MonElite

I had one woman want to come around and work in my kennel for the day. I told her I dont have a kennel but if she wants to do my house work that's about as close as she will get to working for me.

She did come and meet the dogs and brought her own children, a friend and their children as well without telling me.

I wasnt pleased.

Oh yeah.............

I had a guy rang me up couple of times!!! asking if I my male has the large bulbs when he ties. And if I like to touch them.

At first I thought it was a joke but when he rang me second and third time I knew he was a weird sexual freak of nature.

I happened to be on the train on the way back from work and yelled at him - don't ever call me again you sicko.

followed by a bunch of other very descriptive words. To the amusement of some fellow train travelers next to me :)

That was definitely the strangest of all the calls in regards to dogs I ever got

Mine are gun dogs.... we were living in the Midwest of the States & we had a litter just on the ground. Luckily I had been warned what to expect but....

Call from a polite enough man. Ticked the boxes but there was something not quite wrong.... converstation along these lines:

Yeah, I have had dogs before. I hunt with them, you know. When I come to pick my dog I will bring my guns to see which puppy does not flinch when I fire off rounds. Well, Bro, you will not be coming to my place.

:eek:

A Poodle breeder I know has had more than one puppy enquiry wanting just a normal Poodle puppy and not one of those fancy ones. Yep, there are people out there who think Poodles pop out in different trims! It seems most Poodle puppy buyers do not want one if it's born in continental trim :rofl:

My friend that breeds had a funny one with someone commenting that they would like to purchase a puppy for breeding from her (to be sent somewhere in Asia) as they had purchased from Aussie before and the bitch could not have puppies. They no longer trust Aussie dogs so please send a bitch of this colour sometime this year. Nevermind most of her dogs are Australian hahaha. Oh and she didn't have a litter on the ground and wasn't planning any for that year anyway.

Woah some nutters out there for sure although I might be one as my email doesn't end in a .au :o and I have asked before to go to horse trainers barns and work for free just lol!!!

Saying that they could just look up my results and see I was also a horse rider so that is a helper on the maybe not crazy front.

You must get tired of the nuts you get sometimes?

A Poodle breeder I know has had more than one puppy enquiry wanting just a normal Poodle puppy and not one of those fancy ones. Yep, there are people out there who think Poodles pop out in different trims! It seems most Poodle puppy buyers do not want one if it's born in continental trim :rofl:

When I took a litter of poodle pups ( shaved face, feet & tail of course ) to a vets once a young girl working there said they are so cute. Do you shave them or are they born like that ?

I do hope she was just a work experience girl.

In the last few years the requests from people are getting weirder & weirder & the arrogance of many when you explain calmly back why some things can't happen is appalling .

I honestly don't now where people are getting feed the info to ask such questions or expectations.

We get alot who ask to spend the day like its a dog zoo ,i often wonder why people think is .

We are very much about meet & greets but times are certainly changing

And the never ending - I want to meet BOTH parents, its been recommended to me that I need to assess both temperaments.

Sure - come to the show - you are lucky the father of my puppies lives in NSW, but what would you do if I used the frozen semen that I have? One dog is dead and the other is in Norway.

BTW - I think I only have had one lot of people turn up to the show to meet the sire.

And the never ending - I want to meet BOTH parents, its been recommended to me that I need to assess both temperaments.

Sure - come to the show - you are lucky the father of my puppies lives in NSW, but what would you do if I used the frozen semen that I have? One dog is dead and the other is in Norway.

BTW - I think I only have had one lot of people turn up to the show to meet the sire.

If I see the words, "Both Parents On Show", I start to wonder...a) Are you a Backyarder? b) Did you not have any money for a Stud Fee? c) How close is this breeding? d) Oh, maybe they really like their dog and they have just the right bitch for him.

But it is what most people are told...which makes you wonder why so many still buy from pet shops really.