K9 Pro Training

Willowlane

Just wondering if anyone has ever used them?

Im looking into using them to help my Cocker get over her fear issues and as a Puppy School equivalent for my new girl but they work as a 2hr initial assessment then 6week email follow up and arnt cheap which worries me how well it will work rather than 6weeks of individual lessons.

How much are trainers usually by the hour for individual lessons? I have no idea.

Has anyone used there way of teaching before?

huski - who is a member on here - works for K9Pro :) I'm sure she can answer any questions you may have. Hopefully she will see this thread, or you can send her a private message with your questions.

Just wondering if anyone has ever used them?

Im looking into using them to help my Cocker get over her fear issues and as a Puppy School equivalent for my new girl but they work as a 2hr initial assessment then 6week email follow up and arnt cheap which worries me how well it will work rather than 6weeks of individual lessons.

How much are trainers usually by the hour for individual lessons? I have no idea.

Has anyone used there way of teaching before?

There are quite a few members here whose very life with their dogs has been put on track with K9 Pro.

Have you read over Steve's site? He has an amazing blog with heaps of info. Check out their Facebook page to see what goes on with them as well.

If I use the term 'cluey' would you understand what I mean? K9Pro are just that.

:flower:

:) Lots of folks on here will swear by their approach - they are very well known & respected , and yes, have been used by quite a lot of DOLers over the years .

Huski, indeed is the person to speak with !! She has been at both ends of the training :)

Yes I have read over the website and just spoken to a very very helpful lady from K9 but just looking for some reviews now from people outside the company

Have a read over this part of the forum:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/forum/9-training-obedience-dog-sports/

There are posts by people who have actually taken their dogs to K9Pro. That includes not just within NSW but also in QLD.

I have seen in person dogs, trained by his methods which were out in large crowds, completely in sync with what their owner wanted them to do & unaware of anything else. That bond we want with our dogs was there & the training methods made it so.

:flower:

I drove from Queensland with a fear aggressive doberman to see Steve. Best thing I ever did! Unfortunately I had been seeing someone up here who came highly recommended. The experience was a complete disaster, Jeddah's behaviour actually deteriorated over the period of "training". I came home from training one morning googled aggressive behaviour in dogs, and found Steve. I rang him, may have been in tears....me that is, not Steve! Life changed from that point. We were very close to considering euthanasia. Jeddah has only just passed away from cancer at the age of nearly 14. I will be forever grateful to Steve for his help and guidance. She was my special girl, and I would have missed out on having her in my life.

here :)

Staffyluv user_popup.png

• Ziggy

• user_add.png
  • email_open.png

• State:NSW

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

Great advice Pers.

I have used Steve's services for training issues and Zig did hold other dogs in high value - until we used Steve's methods.

Now we can go to the dog park and Zig is happy to play with me - he only wants to play with me now.

I was amazed at the change from a dog that had iffy recall and if other dogs were running, I had no chance of getting him to come back. Now I have a dog with very good recall and he is happy to say hello to dogs that come up to him but he is more interested in what game we are playing next.

I am down near Canberra and we drove the few hours to Steve's place in Sydney. We also had an 8 week follow up program.

Using Steve's program changed our lives with Zig.

I have used them for behavioral issues and training issues with my Shar Pei when I lived in Brisbane and it worked well. I would upload videos to YouTube and send Steve the links along with feedback and questions. I was pretty happy with the experience.

Jeddah was assessed on one of Steve's Qld trips, I then followed a training plan via email for approximately six weeks. We then followed up with a weekend clinic at Steve's property. It obviously depends on your dog's issues etc. But we looked at Steve as a "people" trainer, not just a dog trainer. Lots of learning for you! Huski will be able to answer your queries. You mentioned in your original post, the 2 hour assessment. Can I just say, that 2 hours goes in the blink of an eye. You will leave with a head full of information, which is followed up by email.

I don't remember how much we spent with the original trainer, but every cent I spent with K9 Pro was worth it. Jeddah and I continued training in Brisbane with Jane Harper, who was recommended to us by Steve.

Goodluck!

I had a 2 hour assessment with Steve in Brisbane, he then sent me a lot of training programs he had worked up and we had weekly follow up sessions as I stated. I probably learned more than Jonah did. It's your money and your choice but I would do it again with no hesitation. The things he was able to tell me about Jonah just by observing him were amazing.

Ah Canetoad, hit the nail on the head. I often wonder how my previous dogs got by, with my complete lack of knowedge. Just lucky, I guess. I had someone telling me that their dog was rank aggressive as I was standing there watching all the behaviours of a fear aggressive.

I had a 2 hour assessment with Steve in Brisbane, he then sent me a lot of training programs he had worked up and we had weekly follow up sessions as I stated. I probably learned more than Jonah did. It's your money and your choice but I would do it again with no hesitation. The things he was able to tell me about Jonah just by observing him were amazing.

This is where Steve excels......... he 'reads' the dog and imparts the best knowledge to allow the human to do their best with the dog.

I also used Steve and did quite a bit of training with my nervy girl Kenz and have recently been in touch for some advice with my new girl Lira. Highly recommend him. I thought I knew how to train a dog and then I got Kenz and with his help we took her so much further then I could have imagined. She was bought to be my next obedience dog and she was so shy she would spook over strangers on a daily basis. With his help I was able to get her through that fear and she can even manage a half decent high scoring obedience round, working at a trial with lots of strangers and with a stranger putting us through the ring.

I am in SA and after reading all the stories on here about how good he was and having had a bit of correspondence with him I organised a seminar in Adelaide many years ago now and we never looked back.

Edited by ness

Well were all booked in, one session with my cocker and one session with the puppy and I cant wait!

I had to write down what I wanted to focus on with each dog, so far I have only filled out the sheet for Maple (cocker spaniel) but her 4 things were

- aim to stop her fear of other dogs and stop barking and being aggressive towards other dogs due to this fear

- be more independent from me - I want to be able to go out or leave her and not have her whine, cry and bark

- loose lead walking

- travel in the dog trailer happily - she has never been in one

Im waiting to fill in the form for the puppy till she's come home for a bit and I see her personality and get to know as the form asked questions about her temperament, personality etc but the things I want to achieve through the consult and subsequent work are:

- Forward, confident, outgoing, look at me presence in the show ring whilst maintaing 100% focus on me.

- Loose lead walking

- recall

- desensitisation

- independence

I think when you add up all the hours he actually is there for you its not that bad.

I have seen him, and i remember emailing him daily for ages after the consult with questions , i think i was a right PITA :laugh:

Willowlane - from a new puppy perspective the information you are likely to receive is very comprehensive and pretty easy to follow as well. I am sure the information he provides to assist with Maple will be equally as comprehensive. I wouldn't worry to much about value for money over attending weekly lessons somewhere. Normal weekly puppy classes would definitely not provide the same level of detail.

Edited by ness