Kennel Cough In The Environment

When my dear Mini became ill recently she was exposed to kennel cough. While we don't know if she had actually had it, I need to treat the house as if she did. I will be getting a puppy early June and want to know how long it lasts in the environment. Disinfecting the house isn't an issue. I can wash and bleach everything but what about outside? What do I need to do? I have a large yard and obviously I can't bleach the grassed areas.

From memory, KC doesn't live long in the environment - it needs to be freshly shed for it to be infectious. The usual "quarantine" period for a dog who has had KC is 2 weeks AFTER the end of the symptoms.

When I was fostering pups, we had lots of them that had KC... and none of them seemed to worry about the fact that they had to stop playing now and then to attempt to cough up a lung... *grin*

Seriously, KC is rougher on us having to listen to the cough than on the pup... if pup gets it, give manuka honey to soothe the tickle in the throat, and otherwise treat just like a child with a cold.

T.

From memory, KC doesn't live long in the environment - it needs to be freshly shed for it to be infectious. The usual "quarantine" period for a dog who has had KC is 2 weeks AFTER the end of the symptoms.

When I was fostering pups, we had lots of them that had KC... and none of them seemed to worry about the fact that they had to stop playing now and then to attempt to cough up a lung... *grin*

Seriously, KC is rougher on us having to listen to the cough than on the pup... if pup gets it, give manuka honey to soothe the tickle in the throat, and otherwise treat just like a child with a cold.

T.

This thread and especially your post, are quite timely for me as I've been monitoring Luna for symptoms as she was exposed to a strain that is resistant to the vaccine... And we've had a broken sleep as the cough began overnight. She's still eating with gusto, so I'll try the honey to ease her throat.

T.

This thread and especially your post, are quite timely for me as I've been monitoring Luna for symptoms as she was exposed to a strain that is resistant to the vaccine... And we've had a broken sleep as the cough began overnight. She's still eating with gusto, so I'll try the honey to ease her throat.

The cough should only last about a week - the only time you should start to worry or think about using antibiotics is if yellow or green snot starts coming up or out of the nose, OK? Luna should have weaker symptoms as s/he has been vaccinated against the regular ones, OK? The manuka honey is great - apply as regularly as you like...

T.

T.

Jemmy make sure its Manuka from NZ or Jarrah honey from WA - the stronger the better. I keep a a jar of Manuka on hand ('Active 18+' - not the weak supermarket stuff) and if anyone here is a bit chesty they get a couple of doses. Its not cheap but works brilliantly and quickly and beats a trip to the vet. (no offence to our community vets who hang around here!)

Yonjuro can tell you more about Jarrah Honey. I also keep supermarket stuff on hand and if someone wants honey on their toast they have to use that!! laugh.gif

Oh that's unfortunate westiemum, I had trouble finding any this morning on my honey expedition and the health food store only had a Tassie made one. The ladies at the health food store thought I was crazy for buying it for my dog :rofl: She enjoyed it though!

Oh that's unfortunate westiemum, I had trouble finding any this morning on my honey expedition and the health food store only had a Tassie made one. The ladies at the health food store thought I was crazy for buying it for my dog :rofl: She enjoyed it though!

Jemmy I'm sure the one you bought will help - its all about the active ingredient. I buy Manuka online from a NZ site - and occasionally use it myself if I'm feeling poorly. I gave up chasing around trying to find a shop who stocks the strong stuff - I was using more in fuel than the postage from NZ! It ain't cheap but I think its worthwhile - I'll see if I can find you a link...

ETA I can't remember exactly which site I used now - but heres one or this one

Edited by westiemum

I agree with Westiemum, good honey is gold :thumbsup: Manuka UMF 12 + is medicinal grade. Jarrah TA 20+ is medicinal grade. Two different rating systems but relate to the the enzyme and peroxide levels. Any honey you get must be cold filtered Just be careful where you buy it from as there are lots of dodgey supplies. Heat will also destroy most of the medicinal proprieties.

- it does cost and the higher the rating the higher the cost. I always have it in the cupboard. Most healthfood stores should stock one or the other. In WA we can't import honey so it is fortunate we have our own Jarrah honey which along with Manuka are the best in the world.

Jarrah honey (don't know about Manuka but would assume it works the same?) is the only thing that has been proven to stop or kill staph infections and it is now being used in our world leading burns units in hospitals. So don't discount these honeys as being quackery :D

Great for topical use on cuts, burns, insect bites and hot spots as long as the dog can't lick it LOL, my boy goes nuts for it :)

Edited by Yonjuro

How long they shed the virus is depending on if they have had the KC Vacc or not i.e. 1 vs 3 weeks.

We've never been particularly worried about KC with foster dogs, once the symptoms have ceased then we just move on. We use UMF high level Manuka Honey as soon as any gagging or coughing starts and usually that stops it from getting to that really horrible peak where they are vomiting and can't eat etc.

I agree with Westiemum, good honey is gold :thumbsup: Manuka UMF 12 + is medicinal grade. Jarrah TA 20+ is medicinal grade. Two different rating systems but relate to the the enzyme and peroxide levels. Any honey you get must be cold filtered Just be careful where you buy it from as there are lots of dodgey supplies. Heat will also destroy most of the medicinal proprieties.

- it does cost and the higher the rating the higher the cost. I always have it in the cupboard. Most healthfood stores should stock one or the other. In WA we can't import honey so it is fortunate we have our own Jarrah honey which along with Manuka are the best in the world.

Jarrah honey (don't know about Manuka but would assume it works the same?) is the only thing that has been proven to stop or kill staph infections and it is now being used in our world leading burns units in hospitals. So don't discount these honeys as being quackery :D

Great for topical use on cuts, burns, insect bites and hot spots as long as the dog can't lick it LOL, my boy goes nuts for it :)

^^^ What he said. smile.gif