Are We Right For A Boxer?

Tor

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to drop my little Maltese x home mid-run. He could do about 5k until quite near the end of his life. He loved it, we'd run down to the off-lead beach, he'd play and sniff around while I did sand sprints, and then we'd run home. I'd either finish or keep going. Aw, I miss my boy.

I considered Whippets, friends have a gorgeous pup atm, but I think I'd like something a bit guardy. It's for early mornings and sometimes winter evenings that I really would like a 'don't mess with me' looking dog.

Also, good with children and unfamiliar people/dogs is equally important. I am really keen to do dog therapy work if I can get a dog with the right temperament. That's something to talk to breeders about I suppose.

I did the 20km Endurance test with Zig when he was about 7 years old (now 8.5). Most people do it on a bike as you need to be fit to maintain a constant running speed. Zig's heart rate went down at every vet check and only went through the roof at the final vet check because he'd been flirting with some very sexy girly Dalmatians. He's a tart and the girls love him.

I was just looking at the Dalmation rescue pages (just looking! ) and there is a beautiful Dalmation girl on the NSW site. Probably lucky she's in NSW...

I did the 20km Endurance test with Zig when he was about 7 years old (now 8.5). Most people do it on a bike as you need to be fit to maintain a constant running speed. Zig's heart rate went down at every vet check and only went through the roof at the final vet check because he'd been flirting with some very sexy girly Dalmatians. He's a tart and the girls love him.

Sid's heart rate went down over the course too! So awesome :D

I have a brachy breed, so totally understand the love for those smooshy faces :) Sid can easily manage 5kms, but we only go first thing in the morning. It's definitely something that needs to be built up to over time, but I'm sure it can be done with a boxer too (they aren't as flat faced as Frenchies). Just make sure you go to a breeder who is big on health.

I know you said you wanted something large, but what about a Kelpie or Cattle Dog? They can run long distances! Even though they are not big, they are dark coloured and prick eared, and I have had people keep their distance due to their appearance (mine would lick you to death :laugh: even the GSD).

Building up is always the problem I had. I don't mind a quick breather on a long run, but I hate disrupting my rhythm, so I was always egging my vallhund on, just a little farther, you can do it, bud. Alas, you can only do so much egging before your running pal gets dirty on you for pressuring him all the time and declares he's not running with you anymore. He likes sprints, but I don't. My sprint workouts frequently turn into basic jogs. My next dog might be one that can run out of the box. ;)

The Kelpies and Kelpie x are always the ones that catch my eye on rescue sites. I. A bit nervous about getting a full on working dog though!

If I could do it, so can you.

Kelpies need exercise and brain work. Looks like you've got that covered. They may not be huge but they can look nasty if they need to.

While I think a fit muscled Labrador would fit the bill - see the thread called Labs to the Rescue. THATS what a lab should look like. My Ernie is the laid back type so he's also happy to flop on the couch. I take him for a meaningless 1-2 hour ramble but my daughter runs with him every night. She's not at your level (and he's a bit young for a serious run), he loves the afternoon run and as she builds up her endurance - I can see him keeping up. As long as I watch his joints, I think he'll be fine.

Edited to say:

I still think a kelpie would fit the bill admirably. And you wouldn't have the worry about joints. But not sure about kelpie health issues.

Edited by Stressmagnet

Ps.

Oooh just read about native dog breeds becoming extinct.

My daydream dog, a Gordon Setter is in the list. Read bout them - they fit the bill admirably. They need 60-80 mins of vigorous exercise a day, are great with kids and are big boys and girls.

Tor, there is an Endurance Test (ET) open to all breeds but being held by the Vizsla Club of Vic this Saturday at Springers Leisure Centre (Tatterson Park), Keysborough.

I know there are Vizsla's and some other breeds entered (at least 1 Rotti LOL) I believe there are 20 dogs entered on the day in total.

If you want to pop down there and have a look and see how well these dogs cope over long distances, it is a 20km run (trot) done over 3 separate legs.

I'm also from Mornington Peninsula, the ground is only about 45 minutes from us in Mornington. Starts at 8am and will be finishing up around 10.45-11am.

After the trial (and possibly during to a degree) you may be able to chat with the owners if you wish to learn some more about the breed. Also the trial secretary will be very knowledgeable on breed info.

It will be a light hearted, fun gathering of people and their fit dogs :)

Ps.

Oooh just read about native dog breeds becoming extinct.

My daydream dog, a Gordon Setter is in the list. Read bout them - they fit the bill admirably. They need 60-80 mins of vigorous exercise a day, are great with kids and are big boys and girls.

Stop it Stressy- I am already having a tough time choosing my next breed! Too many awesome ones biggrin.gif

ETA: Look at the babies!! :heart: from here

11137173_1579485795651307_975196233763591927_n.jpg?oh=6767331a11b06d1e137ff7232f003e27&oe=55FBD04E

Edited by denali

but then again, i just want to smoosh boxers. They are so cute. Such great dogs. I will get another one day.

How can anyone not love them haha

76e4eb1c3474cfb559e5a315737df2e6.jpg

I do applaud you for taking the time to research and meet breeders :)

I think a dog, whatever breed it is, will be lucky to have you.

English Pointer?

My boy has been around cats, kittens, quail, chooks, rats and mice. He always just wants to lick them with love. They absolutely adore being an inside dog and will murder you with puppy eyes till you let them in.

Minimal grooming too, mainly just a random bath or play at the ocean.

Happy to answer any English Pointer questions :)

English Pointers

I've owned Boxers for coming up to 20 years and don't agree at all that they would not cope with your exercise demands PROVIDING the dog comes from a registered breeder producing structurally sound dogs from heart tested lines. Your average fit and healthy Boxer, really.

Yes, they are braccy, but no where near to the extent of a French Bulldog or Pug, for example. Obviously you wouldn't be fair to expect him/her to run 15km in 30c heat, but for an active and fit Boxer your projected exercise regime in dog friendly temperates would be fine.

My current Boxer would LOVE to live with you lol

Ps: He got his ET at the above mentioned endurance trial last year.