Can Be Deleted

Guest crazydoglady99

Guest crazydoglady99

Hi all..

My neighbours dog is skinny.. I can see all of her ribs and spine.

(She never used to be, she used to be a picture of health but has been slowly more and more neglected in the last couple of years)

I personally consider it neglect.

But who do I report it to - and will they care enough to do anything about it?

(Am in ACT).

Edited to say - do I need to take a photo of her to report it? Or is the address enough?

Edited by crazydoglady99

Guest crazydoglady99

The dog may be ill

That is possible, I have considered this.

But that's not what I asked!

The dog may be ill

That is possible, I have considered this.

But that's not what I asked!

:stupid:

In the ACT you report it to the RSPCA inspector and the inspector will come and check it out and get back to you.

Why can't you ask your neighbour? Some people can be offended if they are reported to the RSPCA.

You can report it to the RSPCA but I doubt they'd do much in a situation like this. Are you friendly with the neighbours? I'd chat to the owner before I reported them personally. If the dog has usually been well cared for its quite likely there could be a health issue which would explain the dogs weight.

Edited by Dame Aussie

Guest crazydoglady99

No.. the neighbour is NEVER home. Maybe 1 night a week tops.

Can I talk to him - not really. The dog busted through our old fence multiple times a few years ago and massacred my chooks. After a huge ordeal finally getting him to agree and pay half of a new fence- we have neither seen or spoken to him since.

I'm not worried if he is annoyed at being report. I'm worried about the short haired skinny (I think starving) dog in the freezing cold.

Edited by crazydoglady99

Ring the RSPCA and they will give you the option of contacting the inspector. The inspector is usually not at the office. You will probably get a recorded message linking you to a mobile. Leave your number and they will get back to you. I have found them really helpful. Good luck!

You can report it to the RSPCA but I doubt they'd do much in a situation like this. Are you friendly with the neighbours? I'd chat to the owner before I reported them personally. If the dog has usually been well cared for its quite likely there could be a health issue which would explain the dogs weight.

This is exactly what has happened to my 14 yr old Lab. He's not as healthy as he once was and has lost a lot of weight despite being fed top food twice a day. I'd be pretty peeved if someone reported me when he is getting the best care possible for his issues.

I would talk to your neighbour or at least leave them a note before reporting them but thats just me.

This is exactly what has happened to my 14 yr old Lab. He's not as healthy as he once was and has lost a lot of weight despite being fed top food twice a day. I'd be pretty peeved if someone reported me when he is getting the best care possible for his issues.

I would talk to your neighbour or at least leave them a note before reporting them but thats just me.

Thirded. If he's sick the last thing the owners need is the guilt and stress of an RSPCA visit.

Our neighbours might think we aren't ever home as occasionally I work 12 hour days, however OH who doesn't own a car is home on these days and said dogs are usually sun baking in the yard by choice.

Can't hurt to introduce yourself, they might not even be aware the dog has deteriorated that much.

The RSPCA are useless. The rangers in the ACT are far more proactive about animal welfare issues, but I would talk to the neighbour first as the dog may be sick as others have suggested.

This has not been my experience. The rangers are usually only interested in roaming or attacking dogs from my experience. Once when I was out walking I became concerned about a dog on a back verandah which seemed to have no shelter and it was freezing. I reported it to the ACT RSPCA and the inspector checked it out and told me it was an elderly dog who was able to go in and out of the house as it wished. I felt a bit of a goof but I felt better that I had reported it. The inspector who was female was very helpful and polite. I think she may have retired but I have found the RSPCA helpful although it probably does depend on who you are speaking to.

The dog may be sick. It is common for older pets to lose weight when they have thyroid or kidney issues & its usually the first sign of it. Cancer can be another common cause.

Older dogs can go lean as they lose muscle tone but there is lean & there is skinny that like looks like starving ?

RSPCA are not always useless. Only sometimes.

If they visit & he reports that the dog has been getting treatment from a vet he will not be in any trouble.

If the dog is not getting treatment they will make him take it to one to find out why the dog is losing weight & check back again to follow up results.

Anyone who cares about their pet would not resent this although they may be a bit upset initially.

Anyone who doesn't care deserves it.

If you talk to the neighbour first you cannot phone RSPCA without him knowing it is you who reported.

Decide which you would prefer to do.

Forget council. They are more likely to ask is dog registered than are you feeding it.

Guest crazydoglady99

Omg!! Seriously??

The dog is 4 years old!! That is not elderly!!

I don't care that he knows its me, is pissed off - whatever. If his dog has an underlying medical condition he has nothing to worry about does he??

She is skinny. I can see all of her ribs and spine.

I know FOR A FACT he is rarely home. He lives ALONE.

I asked who to report it to - I didn't ask if you agreed with it or not. Some of the hypocritical responses.. seriously..

"Talk to them first bla bla - once I saw a dog when I was out walking and reported it"..