Corns

I saw an episode of the supervet yesterday where he had a greyhound with corns. He diagnosed it by using toothpaste and a toothbrush to scrub the pads and then you could actually see the corn.

Perhaps if you do this you'll be able to see it disappearing? So you don't stop any treatment too soon? Anyhoo, it was interesting!

I trim Cowan's, just pinch them into a crest and cut them. Then I use the dremel to smooth it off. It is dead skin anyhow and keeps them manageable. I think corns form when a dog isn't walking properly. Cowan has had 1 toe removed and puts pressure where pressure is not meant to be.

I trim Cowan's, just pinch them into a crest and cut them. Then I use the dremel to smooth it off. It is dead skin anyhow and keeps them manageable. I think corns form when a dog isn't walking properly. Cowan has had 1 toe removed and puts pressure where pressure is not meant to be.

that is certainly the case with Puck as he has a deformed leg and foot.

I've used all the corn pads now and picked and snipped as much of the hardened skin away. I'm still rubbing eulactol into it. I wouldn't be surprised if it reforms but for now it's alot better than it was.

There are a few theories from the wart theory to pressure points. A closer look into it at a cellular level showed that the wart theory was out the door. Sighthounds appear not to have a great deal of fibroadipose padding tissue in their bodies which would also include their pads so when weight is put on them this can create corns and which toes they originate would probably be fairly consistent with the individual weight bearing pattern of the dog - the 3rd and 4th digits are usually the most weight bearing so corns after often seen on them.

In terms of removal, because they have well defined edges it's pretty easy for the Vet to cut them out although there are loads of folk like the ones here who use human corn removal products with some success...depending on owner compliance. Dremeling a valley deep enough to create a depression in the pad is used by some of the overseas Greyhound rescue groups, they then pop in one drop of corn treatment liquid into the depression, they then wrap the dogs foot up and they repeat this procedure for 2 days.

Generally sighthound owners who experience this issue ongoing are recommended to avoid hard surfaces such as concrete for walks or use booties.

Edited by sas

I was watching my favourite Vet show called SuperVet, with legend Noel Fitzpatrick.

A gorgeous Greyhound came in with really bad corns which were later surgically removed but to look at this Greys feet you couldn't tell anything was wrong but he was in severe pain & walked like he was walking on hot coals. Poor fella... Was amazed me was the way the Vet exposed these corns. He went & got his tooth paste & brush & lightly brushed this dogs feet then wiped them clean. Low & be hold, there were corns on every toe plus on his pads plainly visible. Blew me away. Who'd of thought toothpaste!!!

Edited by BC Crazy