Wheels For Handicapped Dogs

westiemum

What I hope is a 'feel good' Sunday morning story...

Here's Bella from the US - she's a very worthy recipient of a subsidised set of wheels from Hailey's Wheels for Life . It's thought that Bella was hit by a car and became paralysed and was then dumped in a high kill pound. She was rescued, nursed back to health and thats where Hailey's Wheels stepped in. A very handsome photo of Mac in his younger days and Hailey (RIP) using her wheels is under the 'wheelchairs' tab. And the wheelies club is fantastic. I never realised just how effective these wheels are.

And a disclosure - this registered charity is run by a good friend of mine, Mac's Godfather and who I originally got Mac from. I couldn't be more proud of his brilliant work smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

the wheels for life url that westiesmum posted has some junk on the end that stops the click on working but this should work...

http://haileyswheelsforlife.wix.com/haileys-wheels1

PS given they're made in Mount Barker SA - I have passed on the details to a friend who has two wobbly back end dogs that may be in need soon - ie their walks are already limited because they're having trouble moving.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

the wheels for life url that westiesmum posted has some junk on the end that stops the click on working but this should work...

http://haileyswheels...haileys-wheels1

PS given they're made in Mount Barker SA - I have passed on the details to a friend who has two wobbly back end dogs that may be in need soon - ie their walks are already limited because they're having trouble moving.

Thats fabulous Mrs RB - yes Hailey's Wheels is based in Mount Barker but they have an arrangement with 'Walkin' Wheels' out of the US who ship all over the world - and who Matt first got Hailey's wheels from when she became immobile. He saw what a difference the wheels made to Hailey's last 12 months or so of her life and wanted to make sure other disabled doggies have the opportunity that Hailey had. So he started 'Hailey's Wheels for Life' which essentially provides subsided and unsubsidised wheels to disabled doggies of all breeds including mixed breeds. Doggie wheelchairs if you will.

The level of subsidy varies from zero to full depending on ability to pay and a vet letter. So he fund raises so he can subsidise the wheels for those doggies whose owners can't afford to pay or pay in full and simply assists those who can pay to get their wheels. There are also re-cycled wheels from doggies that no longer need them that can be lent to those in need.

When the time comes have your friend get in touch with Matt - I'm sure he'll be happy to help and advise smile.gif.

Edited by westiemum

Such a cool charity- good on her :)

And a very handsome photo of Mac!

laugh.gif Yes it does make you clucky doesn't it!! Here's Mac's Godmothers new westie puppy Willow at about 5 months just to make you even more clucky!!

post-11746-0-17543400-1434858284_thumb.jpg

She is so cute!

I have very much grown to like westies.

I never did, as every one i had met in the past was simply crazy- but really just very untrained and out of control. Since meeting a couple, one of which belongs to my friend i have grown to like them as a breed. If i were to get a terrier they would be my pick!

Thanks denali - and yes of course I'm biased - I love terriers and want a Tibetan at some stage too - but I'm also becoming a big dog fan as well and would love to foster Greys when this lot go to God. In the meantime here's a photo of Andy and Mac next to the gas log fire just now - its a freezing day here in Adelaide. You can see as Mac's back end gets wobblier and wobblier that he sleeps in what looks like the most awkward positions... he may eventually be a candidate for wheels as well - but that time hasn't come yet!

post-11746-0-73343000-1434866270_thumb.jpg

Edited by westiemum

Thanks denali - and yes of course I'm biased - I love terriers and want a Tibetan at some stage too - but I'm also becoming a big dog fan as well and would love to foster Greys when this lot go to God. In the meantime here's a photo of Andy and Mac next to the gas log fire just now - its a freezing day here in Adelaide. You can see as Mac's back end gets wobblier and wobblier that he sleeps in what looks like the most awkward positions... he may eventually be a candidate for wheels as well - but that time hasn't come yet!

post-11746-0-73343000-1434866270_thumb.jpg

bless him- that is gorgeous!

Thanks Snook - not a patch on yours of him though which I treasure!! I want to have one blown up of each of them when I get around to it.

And the fire is actually on! It just doesn't look like it is in the photo!laugh.gif

Thanks everyone. But I can't take credit - its all Matt's hard work. I'm just doing my bit in spreading the word. And yes its soooooo good to see happy doggies mobile again... that Bella... gorgeous little moppet - I tear up watching that too... happy tears... thumbsup1.gif