Kelpie Training Help Please

nitky12

Hi Everyone,

Im new to this forum and hoping to get advice on a problem I'm having with my 2 year old Kelpie. Just to give you the background she was a pound dog I got her when she was about 1 year old. We bonded instantly and she never left my side, I instantly had an amazing companion and as she never caused any trouble at all so I will admit I didn't really put any time into training her as i never felt i had to. Well over the last couple of months the more timid girl we got from the pound who didn't have a lot of confidence is now oozing confidence and is definitely not as loyal as she once was! We live on a huge acreage and it is impossible to fence her in. Until a few months ago she would never leave our property even if home alone. Now, whether we are home or not if she decides she is bored she takes it upon herself to visit our neighbours. Whilst the neighbours all thought it adorable at first she has now become a pest and we cannot let it continue. My problem is that in trying to rectify this i seem to have lost her confidence in me and she seems very wary of me at times. I had been chaining her up when we go out to make sure she couldnt run off which works fine, but trying to control her when we are home is causing me grief. If i keep her chained up or on a lead even when we are home (except for walks, play etc) how does she ever learn to do the right thing? I have tried giving her time off the lead on walks as a reward but then she looks so miserable when i put her back on and often runs away from me. Its breaking my heart! Welcome any ideas....

I would suggest making her a nice safe fenced in yard where she still has enough room to have a play, but is secure enough that she can't get put on her own.

I grew up on property and we always had a well fenced house yard to keep the dogs from going off on a jaunt.

Firstly, a fenced in area/dog run would solve a lot of your problems :) Have you tried this yet? If she is escaping a fenced run, you could look into one with a roof and concrete floor. I personally prefer fenced runs to chains. All dogs will wander if not properly fenced in.

For rebuilding her confidence in you, there are a lot of fun relationship building games you can do, many of which also help with your recall (and involve her chasing you), and trick training is also a lot of fun :)

Yes definitely build an escape proof dog run for her, with a sheltered area and some space to walk around and lie in the sun.

Also, have you considered an electronic containment system. I can't post a link at the moment. Can anyone else do it. I think one brand name is Innotek ?

Edited by blinkblink

We had a fenced run for her but because she was so used to being with me all the time she absolutely hated it and did whatever she could to escape it. Somehow managed to climb it, dig under etc. Its hard to explain but the area directly around our house is not level at all so not something we can fence off like a traditional house yard so that she could still be with us and be contained at the same time. Yes i could build a run with a concrete floor and a roof but im not wanting to loose the previous closeness we had of her always being able to stay with me.

Definately make a yard for her. For our Border Collies we just used dog wire & we have a hot wire (electric fence) wire running around the top. They have never tried to get out. You can also run a wire around the bottom about 6" from the ground if she is a digger.

In my experience, kelpies can be remarkably good jumpers. It may require more than a 1.8 m fence to keep a kelpie in. I'd be cautious about invisible dog fence. If she gets out she'll get shocked trying to get back in, which wouldn't be good.

I did see something where they had PVC pipe on a wire sitting above the top of the fence - so it rolls every time the dogs try to get over it.

Our old neighbour had a kelpie that would jump over really tall wooden fences like they were knee high. They tried putting wire at the top coming into the yard (sort of 45 degree up & back into the yard if that makes sense) not sure if that worked 100% as we moved not long after they did this.

What interactions do you have with her OFF your property?? What fun things do you do together?

If the main interaction a dog has with its owner involves a chain, I can't honestly say that's doing wonders for bonding.

Your dog is now a seasoned escape artist. This is a problem more easily prevented than cured and to cure it you need the dog run equivalent of Alcatraz.. concrete, roofed, the works. Feed her in there, give her bones in there - make it a place that she gets good things in.

You also need to get her off the property to some kind of training. This isn't a breed of dog that's going to lie around all day - they need a job! Stimulate that brain, reinvigorate the bond and keep her safe when you have to leave her. Chaining a dog is NOT safe.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

My dog stays inside my house when I'm out (shopping for her dinner etc).

But if I know I'm going out, I make sure I take her for a walk which involves smells and sights she doesn't normally have access to, or I do a training session to engage her brain and wear her out. Ie learning new tricks burns a lot of brain energy and a dog sleeps well after that instead of going exploring hopefully.

For your dog I'd want to prevent the opportunity but also take the joy out of visiting the neighbours. Ie They need to put her in a crate and ignore her until you come and get her.

And did I say training? Trick training, herding training, agility training, dances with dogs / fancy heelwork training - anything like this for a smart dog is essential. Or they will find their own entertainment.

Maybe a small group of indian runner ducks she can round up? Tho the ducks will probably nick off too.

Beware of just exercising her more. You will end up with a super fit bored dog. You have to engage her brain.

Guest crazydoglady99

Good luck with whatever you decide. Some good suggestions above.

I'd have no chance keeping my kelpie x close by without a fence or lead - outside the house is far more exciting to her than I could ever be!