Overweight Showdogs

BarbedWire

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I.don't think you can compare the two. Easier to.monitor your dogs diet than your own.

I think it's easier to show 'self' control for our dogs than it is for ourselves. It wasn't until the point that I looked in the mirror and went, 'Dude, really.....' that I found it easy to control my own diet.

I really hate seeing over weight dogs - no matter what they are doing.

But important to note that the rate of fatties is lower than in the general dog population.

So more than 75% of the general dog population is fat?

They found that 24 per cent were overweight based on photos I think? I'd find it believable that more than 24 per cent of the pet population is overweight. And as someone else has mentioned some breeds have more issues than others.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

I am astounded that this call was made without those making the call actually seeing the dogs, or laying hands on them, or knowing anything about the standard

Very interesting.

I think it is important not to rely only on appearance. I wonder how many dog owners actually know how much their dogs weigh and what they should weigh to be within the standard. The same with height. Some breeds seem to be getting taller (or smaller).

I think it is important not to rely only on appearance. I wonder how many dog owners actually know how much their dogs weigh and what they should weigh to be within the standard. The same with height. Some breeds seem to be getting taller (or smaller).

Appearance and hands on is way more important than weight in my opinion and I encourage people to use a Body Condition Score to assess their dogs. I only weigh mine for the purpose of medication.

ETA: Yes, pet obesity is a considerable welfare issue in pet dogs and cats.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Appearance and hands on is way more important than weight in my opinion and I encourage people to use a Body Condition Score to assess their dogs. I only weigh mine for the purpose of medication.

ETA: Yes, pet obesity is a considerable welfare issue in pet dogs and cats.

Yep, I know plenty of people that think their dogs weight is fine because it's within those vet chart breed weight guidelines (my breed isn't even on them!), but their dogs Body Condition Score is obviously overweight.

It's like human BMI charts too, you can have a dog that is nice and muscular, it can weight off the charts, but be in perfect condition.

Edited by LisaCC

So why have breed standards then? Weighing a dog is an objective measurement. Labradors are supposed to weigh 30kg. I have seen a lot heavier than that. https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/information/labrador-retriever.asp

pugs between 6 and 8, and bassets 26-33 which means they can be bigger than a lab.

30kg is so specific! I guess for me, bottom line is muscle and fat are composed very differently, and one 30kg dog can be vastly different from another.

So why have breed standards then? Weighing a dog is an objective measurement. Labradors are supposed to weigh 30kg. I have seen a lot heavier than that. https://www.dogzonli...r-retriever.asp

pugs between 6 and 8, and bassets 26-33 which means they can be bigger than a lab.

I've had a look and the ANKC Lab standard doesn't actually have a weight outline? The AKC standard says the following: "dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds."

which in kilos would be dogs 29.6- 36.3kg, bitches 24.9 - 31.8kg

Edited by LisaCC

So why have breed standards then? Weighing a dog is an objective measurement. Labradors are supposed to weigh 30kg. I have seen a lot heavier than that. https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/information/labrador-retriever.asp

A standard might be ideal but that doesn't account for the build or fitness of the individual dog. Weighing per se is objective but we know it doesn't translate well to "ideal body condition." Just like the amount of food required to maintain an ideal body condition score will depend on the quality of the food, the activity of the dog, the health of the dog and the metabolism of the individual dog.

Edited by The Spotted Devil