Border Collie With Lump On Head

Hi guys, I'm new here..

I took my border collie to the vet on Thursday after a lump came up on her head on Monday, I thought she must have just bumped her head when playing so wasn't too worried. Off to the vet on Thursday we went because it hadn't changed, they took a FNA and they are almost certain it is a mast cell tumour, I have never dealt with a dog with cancer before, my fist dog is 14 years old and still in great health so I guess I always thought she would get ill before the younger one... :(

Anyway, Truffles is going in for surgery to get the lump removed on Friday and the vet has recommended getting the biopsy sent away to confirm, this costs an extra $300 which being a full time student is hard to afford, I was thinking it might be better to save that money and put it towards any further surgeries she may need.

What would you do? The vet is already pretty certain it's mast cell, so do you think saving the money and putting it towards further surgeries is a good idea?

So confused and looking for advice :cry:

My answer would be does determining the status change the treatment in any way and if so how. If the treatment pathway doesn't change or you would make a decision to not go ahead with whatever the alternative treatment pathway may be then no I probably wouldn't.

Edited by ness

I don't have your financial limitations but if it were me I would do the pathology. This is because you need the pathology done to confirm what it is. If it is a tumour of any sort, the pathology will grade it as well as classify it. It will also give you information on the margins - whether the tumour appears to be contained in the excised lump. This will give you important information for ongoing treatment (if any). If you don't do the pathology on the excised lump you are only guessing at what it is and the reality maybe better or worse than your guess.

I don't have your financial limitations but if it were me I would do the pathology. This is because you need the pathology done to confirm what it is. If it is a tumour of any sort, the pathology will grade it as well as classify it. It will also give you information on the margins - whether the tumour appears to be contained in the excised lump. This will give you important information for ongoing treatment (if any). If you don't do the pathology on the excised lump you are only guessing at what it is and the reality maybe better or worse than your guess.

^^ exactly this.

I agree. Definitely get the pathology done. You need to know what you are dealing with. And the vet needs to know the margins of how far around the tumor to take so that there is the least possible chance for it to spread or return.

It sounds like you have caught it really quickly so that it has the least chance to spread.

I am sure vet could work out a payment plan with you if money is an issue. Most are very good about things like that.

But definitely do the pathology. Best case scenario is it comes back negative and just a beign lump!!

If they have found mast cells, then definitely have it removed and graded (pathology).

You need to have it confirmed as a mast cell tumour and what grade, also that the margins are clean (as has been mentioned) so you know the propensity for it to grow back in the same area.

Don't be afraid to ask for your vet clinic's payment plan options - most have GE finance or Vetpay or similar.

If they have found mast cells, then definitely have it removed and graded (pathology).

You need to have it confirmed as a mast cell tumour and what grade, also that the margins are clean (as has been mentioned) so you know the propensity for it to grow back in the same area.

Don't be afraid to ask for your vet clinic's payment plan options - most have GE finance or Vetpay or similar.

^^^ This is my recommendation too - particularly when dealing with a mast cell tumour.