Problems Whelping

Amstar

Apparently she was only 8 weeks judging by the ultrasound and X-ray that was the estimate the c sec was because the 2 pups were both very different in size and we were worried this will cause problems also she seems to be stressing that she does have pups yet I think her mind and body are very confused he also said because her last litter (he first) was so large that have only 2 pups and one is smaller that her uterus may be stretched to the point that contractions may not push the puppies out properly seemed strange to me but I would rather the c sec than anything happen to her or her babies so I just made the call that I found right for her he said if she starts to go into labour then bring her in and we can do the c sec then if not Monday's the day

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I would hate to have that happen to me sadly u lost puppies but that could maybe have been avoided if the vet had listened to you your right no one knows your pet like you do it's like your children and a mother knows best

Apparently she was only 8 weeks judging by the ultrasound and X-ray that was the estimate the c sec was because the 2 pups were both very different in size and we were worried this will cause problems also she seems to be stressing that she does have pups yet I think her mind and body are very confused he also said because her last litter (he first) was so large that have only 2 pups and one is smaller that her uterus may be stretched to the point that contractions may not push the puppies out properly seemed strange to me but I would rather the c sec than anything happen to her or her babies so I just made the call that I found right for her he said if she starts to go into labour then bring her in and we can do the c sec then if not Monday's the day

Please don't allow them to c-section your bitch unless they do a progesterone test to ascertain she is close enough to ready.

Sometimes with small litters, bitches don't produce enough hormone to go into active labour so if you feel she's acting off or unusually, make sure you head to the vet for a check.

Personally I think I was accurate in her due date ive been considering another opinion I've been with my vet ages he has never steered me wrong before but I'm just not convinced I have been sure she is displaying the appropriate behaviours and attitudes that she is ready so I will get the test down and I think what u mentioned above may be the case

Do u think (I would never do it) but are dogs like people in the way that u can leave a person pregnant and eventually everyone will go into labour (however both may not survive it) are dogs the same would she eventually go into labour if she is left long enough Not just her any bitch or do u think like u said earlier she would never have enough hormone to stimulate proper labour

Do u think (I would never do it) but are dogs like people in the way that u can leave a person pregnant and eventually everyone will go into labour (however both may not survive it) are dogs the same would she eventually go into labour if she is left long enough Not just her any bitch or do u think like u said earlier she would never have enough hormone to stimulate proper labour

Strong possibility she might never start, or if she did, would not be able to sustain labour

I had a bitch with a singleton puppy on board. She never went into active labour (just as I expected) but showed some unusual behaviour.

Regardless of that, I knew her due date as she'd been progesterone tested at the time of mating.

So no, if left, the consequences can be fatal to both dam and pup/pies

Please don't allow them to c-section your bitch unless they do a progesterone test to ascertain she is close enough to ready.

Sometimes with small litters, bitches don't produce enough hormone to go into active labour so if you feel she's acting off or unusually, make sure you head to the vet for a check.

ah yes, that's what I was thinking of, it tells them if the puppies are "cooked" enough :D

Hi guys yes we ended up having the c section on Monday we had 2 pups very different in size but both are thriving mum is recovering well and somewhat back to her old self it was a stressful day but thank god it went smoothly puppies look just like mum and dad have a couple of mini mes hahaha thanks all for your help during this trying time luckily we were lucky that both mum and pups came out the end safely xox

She is being such a good mum but she seems to have adopted my sons Scooby do stuffed dog as well haha