Dog Likes To Go For A Sniff Or Lick When Meeting A New Dog And It'

Boxbright

My Aussie likes to go for a bit of a sniff and lick, (ok well he kind of lingers a bit too long almost resulting on sexual assault) when he meets a new dog. he doesn't go for a lick of the face or sniff of the butt but heads straight for the genitalia male or female. Like I mean he really goes for it and it is becoming embarrassing. I've never had a dog do this, mind you my other two dogs seem to really enjoy it :eek: People are quite put off by his behaviour, any ideas on how to get this under control. He is still entire and I am looking at desexing him next month. Do you think it will stop then?

He is a dog.

Desexing might not make any difference depending on whether he's been through doggy puberty or not and given the habit is a habit now. It did stop another dog I know from humping every dog it met.

But with all things dogs do - if you don't like it, interrupt him or remove him from the sniff fest, maybe give him an alert that you're ending the game, eg "enough already" - grab his collar (you train collar grab game if you want him to be totally comfortable about this) and move him away. repeat as often as required. If you have to repeat more than twice, put him on lead and keep him out of reach...

Deal with it the same way you would if he was chasing joggers without permission.

Stan and Maddie do it to each other all the time and I'm pretty sure after 5 years they know each other.

If Stan lingers a little longer, which he tends to do, I growl at him "get out of that" and he slinks off like some dirty old perve.

Digger our old boy loves a crutch sniff on humans, especially females.

It is embarrassing and we apologise every time. We think because he has been diagnosed as blind, thats why he does it. Some humans he becomes super exited for. :)

My dog occasionally gooses humans. ARGH...

Sometimes I can see it coming - running behind someone with her nose in the air... cos it smells extra good (double argh), and call her away.

And she absolutely mugs people with treats but usually by doing the paddle (feet pumping) dance all around them - no actual contact.

One reason I hate cocker spaniels is because my best friend when I was little lived with a crotch sniffer and it was impossible to get that dog to disengage.

There's no way I'd stand back and laugh while my dog crotch sniffed a human, she'd be dragged away and back on lead pronto.

pheeew glad it's not just my dog. I've owned quite a few over the years and this is the first one that has been this bad. I tell him enough and pull him away but he keeps going back for more. I'll keep persevering, I've only had him 4 months, we got him when he was 2yrs so we are still finding his little ummm I guess you could call them quirks

I tell him enough and pull him away but he keeps going back for more.

I think it goes like super nanny putting yoyo butt kids to bed at night...

They get up, you tell them bed time and put them back....

the second time - you say nothing, you just put them back.

And the third time - you can do with the dog what you cannot do with the kids...

put the dog to bed and shut the door so he has to stay there. Ignore all yelling.

Telling the dog "enough" and pulling away - might be fun for the dog... so after the second time - I'd be putting the dog where they can't go back for more.