Dog Accident Insurance--Bone Stuck In Oesophagus

Boronia

Penny got a small bit of chicken frame stuck in her oesophagus, after x-rays and trying to remove it via her mouth she had to be opened up and the piece removed via her stomach.

I paid for the operation and my vet sent all the details to BowWowMeow insurance, rang them today and they won't pay for the procedure.

I really was under the impression that they did cover for an obstruction but it seems I was wrong.

I checked on their website but couldn't find that as an exclusion in the Accident coverage.

Can a kind DOLer check on the BWM site and find the part that excludes the foreign object in the "Accident' policy

Penny got a small bit of chicken frame stuck in her oesophagus, after x-rays and trying to remove it via her mouth she had to be opened up and the piece removed via her stomach.

I paid for the operation and my vet sent all the details to BowWowMeow insurance, rang them today and they won't pay for the procedure.

I really was under the impression that they did cover for an obstruction but it seems I was wrong.

I checked on their website but couldn't find that as an exclusion in the Accident coverage.

Can a kind DOLer check on the BWM site and find the part that excludes the foreign object in the "Accident' policy

Why don't you ask your insurance company to send you the exclusion text.

Why don't you ask your insurance company to send you the exclusion text.

okey dokey, I'll do that now

thank you sas

I found this on page 21 of their product disclosure document:

b) your failure to take all reasonable precautions to protect your Pet from

situations that may result in injury or Illness (such as ingestion of hazardous

substances) or from aggravating a treated Condition.

And wonder if that is what they will send you.

I found it here:

https://bowwowinsurance.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/bwm-pds-broch_aug2014_final_sp.pdf

I couldn't find out anything on their PDS Info so I phoned them and the woman I talked to was helpful and said she would email me the relevant section.

Penny did have an endoscopy in July 2009 to remove a bit of pig trotter cartilage but I thought that that exclusion (which appeared on her renewal form for 2--3 years) was no longer in force as it hadn't appeared on her renewal for a few years.

This is what BWM woman wrote:

Thank you for your recent enquiry in to your Pet Insurance policy.

As per your request please see the attached PDS

On the PDS page 19 under the Section 3 it clearly says More than one incident of swallowing a foreign object that causes a blockage or obstruction requiring surgical or endoscopic removal per policy period is generally coverable under the Illness Cover.

here is the PDS and I still can't see it (I think she may have given me the wrong page)

https://bowwowinsura...14_final_sp.pdf

Anyway, it looks like the chicken-bone-stuck-in-the-gizzard syndrome is only covered under illness seeing as Penny is trying to make a habit of it...once=acceptable, twice=unacceptable

Penny has accident insurance only as she was too old to be covered for both when I got her.

bummer

Edited by Boronia

Was just coming in to post what my insurance policy states, but see now that your's is the same. So you get one episode covered but if it happens again then they won't pay.

5. more than one (1) incident of swallowing a foreign object that

causes a blockage or obstruction requiring surgical or endoscopic

removal per Policy Period;

Maybe the answer is in what they do cover rather than what they don't cover with Accidental Injury? Chicken bone in throat doesn't appear to be covered by any of these??

Accidental Injury Cover

2.1 What we will pay

We will pay you the Benefit Percentage for the Vet Expenses incurred by you

for Treatment during the Policy Period up to the Benefit Limits, as a result of

your Pet suffering an Accidental Injury in one of the circumstances described

below. You will be responsible for any Excess as shown on the applicable

Certificate of Insurance.

To qualify for Cover under this section of the policy, the Accidental Injury must

have occurred during the Policy Period and:

(a) be a direct consequence of at least one of the following:

1. a motor vehicle incident;

2. a burn or electrocution; or

3. an allergic reaction to an insect bite other than tick or flea bites;

or

(b) result in:

4. a bone fracture;

5. a snake bite toxicity;

6. a traumatic ligament or tendon injury;

7. a bite wound or fight wound abscesses; or

8. lacerations or abrasion of tissue, skin or mucous membrane due to

external violence.

What a crock, dogs eat bones, bones can splinter off = accident. I would fight it

it's not worth it Don, my fault as I usually keep an eye on Pen but she nicked some of Mac's chicken frame and as she only has a few teeth left she decided to just swallow the bit of shoulder bone without crunching it up properly, she has to get the food inside her in the shortest amount of time and this means that her philosophy is the fewer chews the better.

I do have RACQ home and contents insurance and have paid a little bit extra for Pen and Mac coverage but it only pays out $500 with a $50 excess.

It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick though, so I'm happy (well sort-of :))

I think you can fight this one... as the bits you have been quoted relate to per policy period - which to pretty much every sane person in this universe is 12 months, yes?

If her last obstruction surgery/endoscope procedure for that problem was in 2009, then I'd be questioning what THEY are calling a"policy period".

What was she covered under for the 2009 incident? Precedent claim if you only had accident cover then too.

T.

I think you can fight this one... as the bits you have been quoted relate to per policy period - which to pretty much every sane person in this universe is 12 months, yes?

If her last obstruction surgery/endoscope procedure for that problem was in 2009, then I'd be questioning what THEY are calling a"policy period".

What was she covered under for the 2009 incident? Precedent claim if you only had accident cover then too.

T.

Yep, that's what I thought T but from the conversation I had with the BWM woman it appears they have transferred 'Obstruction' over to the Illness insurance.

The old PDS booklet allows an obstruction in the Accident insurance (hence Penny's previous pay out) but the later booklet doesn't mention it.

BWM must have been hit with mega amounts of dogs getting stuff caught in their gizzards so decided to transfer it over to illness, though for the life of me I can't see how an obstruction can be an 'Illness'

I blame Labradors and Staffies for this

and...

That Doler's dog that eats stones

:D

Ummm... pretty much anything Trouble the Lab has swallowed has come out the other end just fine... *grin*... including gravel from the stones she used to chew as a youngster...

... and you should see the things that manage to pass through the Spastic Camp Dog!!!

Poo patrol is an adventure here... *giggle*

T.