I'm At Whit's End With Puppy Biting!

joey13

This isn't something I've had to do and might just be and old wives tale. Overheard it at puppy classes while chilling in the vicinity.

Slather your arms with butter (yum!) and praise pup for licking. If pup bites, stand up and take you and your delicious arms into another room. Wait about 15 seconds then go back and praise licking.

I think the idea is teaching an alternative behaviour?

Oh one very important thing! Make sure no one in the house is using their hands and feet as play things and actually encouraging the biting!

And if you notice a part in play where pup gets over stimulated and goes for the bite stop BEFORE then.

Yelling, yelping, even scruffing would just make our pups bite you even harder. They like a fight :laugh:

Yea, anyone who suggest squealing had never met my puppy!

Squeal, or yelp and the eyes would widen like he's on drugs and just come back for more fun laugh.gif

Edited by LisaCC

Singleton pups and the fact she was not with her mum from 6 weeks would be very big reasons why she is doing what she is doing. My singleton pup what a complete shocker. She had a hard as nails tempermant and any of the above had no effect in regard to reducing biting, them increased it. Re-direction and high value rewards for doing the right thing, ie touch nose to hands etc.

They are an awesome little dog, but yes very tough little nuggets.

Being a singleton and removed from her Mum at 6 weeks will make this a tougher job. One of my singletons was a shocker with biting and it went on for 5 months before I felt I had it under control and very occasionally when she is excited still she may give a nip at 3yo. She wasn't taken from her mum early and has great dog social skills was just the nipping for her. Find something and stick at it because consistency will help.

Totally feel for you because it can be exhausting but worth it in the end

Pups need to learn how to interact with you, so I teach them how to play with me and use their prey drive (i.e. playing tug). They learn the appropriate way to play with you, and while they are learning that I would manage them (for eg I have a puppy pen my pup would go in my living room) so they didn't practice behaviour I didn't want like biting, especially if they are doing so to get your attention.