Lurcher / Staghound

shovett

Hello,

Thank you taking the time to read this.

We are looking for a lurcher dog, but I am confused to what is a lurcher in Australia. We would like a wispy hair female lurcher (Norfolk Lurcher UK). I have found deer hounds and stag hounds here, but don't want a Great Dane or Wolf Hound size dog, as it wouldn't be practical where we live.

Please can you tell me what breed is the smallest and which one would be closest to a Norfolk Lurcher.

Thank you.

A lurcher is generally considered to be a cross between a sighthound and a working dog. They can be all kinds of sizes depending on what purebred are crossed.

There is someone here in NZ that breeds collie x whippet lurchers, they are a bit bigger than purebred whippets.

A quick google search seems to indicate that "Norfolk lurchers" are anything from beardie x greyhound to collie x deerhound. I would expect they could come in all sorts of sizes.

Can you get Lurchers here in Australia? I thought we really only have Staghounds. I have no idea what's in the Staggies other than sighthound, obviously. I think it's more of a descriptive name than a name that refers to a specific mix of breeds.

I also don't know if there are many proper breeders, all the ones I've seen have come from the pound. The few I have known have been lovely dogs.

If you want a pup, get a purebred Sighthound. That way you'll know what you're getting.

No guarantee that a "lurcher" pup will grow up to look like the type of dog you want - and no guarantee it will have a particular temperament either.

Otherwise, I'd be looking for a rescue dog. I'd start with the Pet Rescue website.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Can you get Lurchers here in Australia? I thought we really only have Staghounds. I have no idea what's in the Staggies other than sighthound, obviously. I think it's more of a descriptive name than a name that refers to a specific mix of breeds.

I also don't know if there are many proper breeders, all the ones I've seen have come from the pound. The few I have known have been lovely dogs.

In my experience, the term "staghound" tends to be applied to any dog larger than a terrier but smaller than a "wolfhound" that has a wire coat. Most of them are pigging mixes.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Alot of the country pounds have lurcher/stag looking dogs in , ones that havn't made the grade to hunt.

Perhaps post in the rescue section, i know a few dolers who rescue these types of dogs.( nina)

They are on my list to own oneday too.

Edited by juice

Staghound and Lurcher are usually 'type' terms that cover dogs of various crosses. For that reason they're not typically predictable in size or appearance, especially if you're getting a pup. Even if you see the parents, given the fact that they're mixed breeds the pups can really turn out to be anything.

So many lovely young adult dogs of these types in country pounds, though, and if you're getting an adult you know what size and temperament you're getting, too. Bonus!

Check out PetRescue and the rescue section here on DOL - specifically the country pound threads.

Good luck! :)

thank you for all the replies, very helpful. Prue does look nice..lovely face. I think we will struggle to get a smallish medium size dog, as the cross breeds here seem to be based on the larger stag and wolf hounds. Although lovely dogs, just too big for our house. I will keep looking, but a rescue one that is fully grown is probably a safer bet.

thanks again.

thank you for all the replies, very helpful. Prue does look nice..lovely face. I think we will struggle to get a smallish medium size dog, as the cross breeds here seem to be based on the larger stag and wolf hounds. Although lovely dogs, just too big for our house. I will keep looking, but a rescue one that is fully grown is probably a safer bet.

thanks again.

I've seen Whippet/Bedlingtons in Australia. They always seem to come out the same, like little tiny deerhounds in appearance, although their hair is silky soft. I saw one recently looking for a home. Are you looking for a puppy or young dog?