Breeders Terms

*kirty*

Just thought I would share my 'breeders terms' story... My breeder wanted a litter from my bitch. I agreed and we worked out terms - she would organise everything, pay for everything and sell the puppies. She advertised and screened the homes but I got a say in where they went. I would care for my girl throughout the pregnancy, then whelp and raise the litter. I got to keep a puppy as a thank you, and with encouragement to show the puppy. There were no written contracts, just a verbal agreement and thorough understanding of how it would all work.

Everything went perfectly to plan, the breeder and I both got exactly the puppies we wanted, the pups went to great homes and the breeder and I are good friends. The end.

Breeders terms doesn't have to be a nightmare. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. :)

I have a dog in co-ownership with his breeder.

We have a written agreement. We must both approve any stud work. She would get to use him for free on her own dogs and any other stud fees would be split 50/50.

No purchase price was paid by me.

It's worked really well. No issues at all.

Just thought I would share my 'breeders terms' story... My breeder wanted a litter from my bitch. I agreed and we worked out terms - she would organise everything, pay for everything and sell the puppies. She advertised and screened the homes but I got a say in where they went. I would care for my girl throughout the pregnancy, then whelp and raise the litter. I got to keep a puppy as a thank you, and with encouragement to show the puppy. There were no written contracts, just a verbal agreement and thorough understanding of how it would all work.

Everything went perfectly to plan, the breeder and I both got exactly the puppies we wanted, the pups went to great homes and the breeder and I are good friends. The end.

Breeders terms doesn't have to be a nightmare. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. :)

This pretty well how my last litter went. All verbal agreement and still best of friends

It's good to hear happy tales of how breeders terms can work.

As a pet owner that would love to get into showing with my next dog I think receiving a pup on breeders terms is a huge honour and a great learning experience in how a great breeder operates.

Plus, puppy breath and cuddles if you're geographically close to the breeder as well!

I know I'm probably one of the minority of mystery mutt owners that think it's a good system

Eta: no typing before I finish my coffee.. Can't spell

Edited by Taliecat

I have several dogs on 'breeders terms' (currently 5 in total). Some bred by another breeder that live with me and some bred by me that live with others. Purchase prices vary on them from nil to part to full. Each dog and situation is different and each arrangement is different. Each has different responsibilities and gains for each of the parties. There is not one size fits all even with the same people involved. What doesn't vary though is the need for a working relationship between the parties. And like any partnership or marriage they require people willing to maintain that relationship. i.e. talk to each other and discuss things openly and clearly. There are always going to be things that pop up that were not thought of when the arrangement was first made. Just like there are things that come up after someone has said their marriage vows that they did not envisage when they signed that contract. While you can try and think of everything, you never do. What is important is how you handle them together when they do come up. And also sticking to your word and the intent of the original agreement (unless and until it is mutually agreed otherwise if the situation changes - and by that I don't just mean 'changing your mind'). I am very grateful for the opportunities that have been given to me through breeders terms arrangements as it has brought me dogs I would not have access to otherwise, allowed me to maintain access to dogs I would not be able to have otherwise and allowed those dogs to all live a life as a spoiled member of the family (by allowing me to keep numbers manageable so all my dogs live a quality life and by placing dogs in loving homes where they too get a quality life while still being able to contribute to the future of the breed). It has also brought me good friends and that friendship is invaluable.

Edited by espinay2

I have a Co own Dog. I met the breeder through a dutch Dog forum when she just had her puppy from america. we became friends and i said i wanted a daughter from her puppy in the future;) i saw how it went with her other Co own dog, Mother of my girl and decided i would also like that. So i got to Be at the birth of my pup and was very involved in the litter, we always go to shows together also and plan everything together. If i cant go, no problem and she can also just take my Dog with her. I also do hunting training so i dont want a litter and shows in hunting competition season. Also fine:) we Will do max 2 litters and i want a pup from the second litter. She knows what males i like so she Will choose one that will Be a good match for Ivy and that i really like;) Ivy Will have her first litter next week and it has been all great. She Will go to the breeders house friday, that is only 30minutes away.. And i Will puppysit at least twice a week. Cant wait till they are born! If i keep a

Daughter in the future i Will def would do Co own again.