Cleaning Dog Tails

samoyedman

Dog tails tend to have tricky coarse hair (especially on long-haired breeds) when it comes to grooming. My samoyed's tail is like a magnet for loose leaves, burrs and an assortment of other foliage.

When I use a comb or slicker on his tail to remove bits and pieces or just to brush his tail he hates it and half the time I end up picking out foreign object with my fingertips or not grooming his tail at all.

Does anyone use a particular grooming tool for the different type of hair on their dog's tail or do you have any tips in general for keeping a tail clean and looking good?

Think you need to downsize, Sam Man. My shibas have never gotten leaves stuck in their tails. Loki (my, Loki, not yours) hates his tail being brushed and every year when he blows coat we have an arguement about it. I now leave it alone and it sheds out without matting up or becoming a snargled mess. :D

Fingers, Chris Christensen pin brush, a Pearson Mason and a stainless steel comb with wider teeth at one end here for a fluffy Belgian Shepherd tail - she's not nicknamed 'the leaf lady' for nothing :laugh:

Nova doesn't have a tail, but he does have luscious butt floof, I second this. The polish wood ones, they seem to just glide through the hair, first brush he wasn't bothered by on his butt as a puppy. Great for the initial brush to get everything smooth. Then I'll go over with a comb and/or slicker, and finish with the pin brush again and it makes everything nice and shiny.

I spray a bit of conditioner on my tails & brush first with the Le Pooch brush. For some reason, if I lift the tail & brush from underneath first, using my body as a guide, my girl really loves it...I think it must be some sort of "turn on" for her.