Anti Dog Sentiment In Germany

moosmum

Sorry, don't know enough to embed?

Basicaly, Germany has new BSL laws enacted after media hype regarding dog attacks. It seems the combination has fueled an un-precedented anti dog sentiment with dogs and owners being attacked.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1348835/kennel-club-anger-over-germany-anti-dog-laws.html

What. The. F? Absolute craziness and it seems it is enabling members of the public to behave far worse than any animal would, abusing dogs that have not shown themselves to even be aggressive. There's another country I wont be moving to. Might even strike it off my visit list and spend my tourist dollars elsewhere.

In my experience (I lived outside Leipzig with a dog for a couple year) Germany is extremely dog friendly . . . not so child friendly. Many Germans identify themselves as 'tierleib' -- animal lovers.

Willem's right. This article is 16 years old.

BSL is still in force. The Germans have tended to avoid the difficulty of identifying pit bulls by banning them all: SBT, AmStaff, APBT and BT.

There are undercurrents in German culture that wouldn't be a good mix with fighting breeds. Maybe that's why the legislation is accepted, or maybe it's some sort of determination not to import problems. Don't expect to see bans on the German breeds. Rottis, GSD's etc. are part of the social fabric.

In my experience (I lived outside Leipzig with a dog for a couple year) Germany is extremely dog friendly . . . not so child friendly. Many Germans identify themselves as 'tierleib' -- animal lovers.

Willem's right. This article is 16 years old.

BSL is still in force. The Germans have tended to avoid the difficulty of identifying pit bulls by banning them all: SBT, AmStaff, APBT and BT.

There are undercurrents in German culture that wouldn't be a good mix with fighting breeds. Maybe that's why the legislation is accepted, or maybe it's some sort of determination not to import problems. Don't expect to see bans on the German breeds. Rottis, GSD's etc. are part of the social fabric.

Thanks for this info. I was going to ask if anyone knew what the "dog culture" was like there today.

LOL at the date, Sorry! I looked and could only see todays!

one reason for banning was that before 2000 these breeds were very popular among criminals (rocker gangs, pimps, drug dealers) and were misused as weapons. Consequently the numbers of dog attacks by these breeds were sky rocketing and there was a significant public pressure to address the issues. A pity for the real dog lovers, but the criminals gave these breeds really a bad reputation.

wrt the cruelties mentioned in the article: while the article doesn't mentioned it, it is very likely that those barbaric acts were committed by gangs fighting each other.

This has been repealed in at least the Lower Saxony area following a study in to 'dangerousness' of the prescribed breeds vs a control group of Golden Retrievers.

Link

RESULTS

- There was no significant difference between the volunteered Golden Retrievers and the dogs from the targeted breeds that were required to submit to the test in the occurrence of aggressive behavior in inappropriate situations.

- Dogs of the targeted breeds signal their intent just like other dogs.

- Dogs of the targeted breeds are statistically no more likely to show inappropriate aggressive behavior than are Golden Retrievers.

Edit: here's the study: Study

Edited by melzawelza

This has been repealed in at least the Lower Saxony area following a study in to 'dangerousness' of the prescribed breeds vs a control group of Golden Retrievers.

Link

RESULTS

- There was no significant difference between the volunteered Golden Retrievers and the dogs from the targeted breeds that were required to submit to the test in the occurrence of aggressive behavior in inappropriate situations.

- Dogs of the targeted breeds are statistically no more likely to show inappropriate aggressive behavior than are Golden Retrievers.

...yes, but the driver behind banning those breeds listed above in Germany was also to 'disarm' the gangs. I guess the police believed that once it is was illegal to own such a breed they (the police) would get more leverage to fight those gangs. To my knowledge you still can own e.g. pitbulls etc. in Germany (wrt breeding I'm not so sure), but it is linked to very strict requirements (age, certificate of good conduct, no police records etc.) and might involve special fees.

Link

RESULTS

...yes, but the driver behind banning those breeds listed above in Germany was also to 'disarm' the gangs. I guess the police believed that once it is was illegal to own such a breed they (the police) would get more leverage to fight those gangs. To my knowledge you still can own e.g. pitbulls etc. in Germany (wrt breeding I'm not so sure), but it is linked to very strict requirements (age, certificate of good conduct, no police records etc.) and might involve special fees.

Yeah, it's been tried before elsewhere too. It's useless. Deal with the gangs not the dogs. Ban Pits and they just go and get Rotts, Shepherds, Mals.. any number of dogs above knee height. There couldn't be more evidence of how useless BSL is.

Edited by melzawelza

[ Deal with the gangs not the dogs. Ban Pits and they just go and get Rotts, Shepherds, Mals.. any number of dogs above knee height. There couldn't be more evidence of how useless BSL is.

Sensible comment.

France has tried to target dodgy owners. They ban people with certain categories of police/criminal records from owning certain categories of dogs Don't know how useful that's proven to be.