Idiot Proof Camera For Better Photos :) ?

_PL_

Hi :) help needed.

My current camera is getting on, and at the time it was what I needed. Not fancy, nice dog photos if they posed in the right light. But I've never really known what to do, it's still too complicated. :o

This might mean something to people. It's written on the camera;

Sony Super Steady Shot

Full HD 1080 Still Image

3.0" tilting LCD Monitor

9.1 mega pixels

Model DSC-H50 Digital Still Camera

It's got a dial with a bunch of settings on it and I turn it and try them out but no matter what, it's hopeless (or too complicated?) in low light, really bright light and when dogs move which is a shame because they do some really cute things and there's no photos of it.

So, things must have moved on.

Is there such a thing as a camera that takes good photos with the operator having minimal understanding of precision adjustments? What should I be spending for my needs without wasting a pile of money on features I can't use? :confused:

may not be the right place to post this sorry :o I can have the thread deleted later.

:laugh: I was afraid you'd say it probably doesn't exist.

Compact camera sounds like what I need! That sounds good. I googled and it sounds like I need 'entry level'. Which is probably what my old one used to be.

Would you have time to check some of the better models? That would be awesome!

I'll need advice about budget :shrug: I just don't want to go to a camera shop and get sold something that is either total crap, or a waste of money considering how limited my ability is. The big ones with wonderful lenses look exciting but ... realistically won't get used properly.

I can recommend avoiding the Panasonic lumix DMC-T260

We got it because it was small, and had a view finder - previous camera - you could not see the display when outside in bright light. And it took crappy photos inside in less light.

The lumix took crappy photos and all of them look dull and flat - Maybe that was because northern Europe is dull and flat - but I wasn't there. The Samsung phone took nicer photos.

it also had no way of naming photos by date - eg I like the camera to name photos by date eg yyddmm-hhmmss so they sort properly. This one didn't do that.

Previous camera (and this one?) didn't have unique names for the photos. Drove everyone nuts.

There are photography courses around now for taking great photos on iphone / Samsung. I've been meaning to sign up for one. But I always get a better photo if I take a few seconds to think about what is and isn't in the picture.

Snook is right :)

I have a very dark house. Even with my professional gear and knowledge of how to use it, there will be some grain in images shot inside here. Everything has it's limitations. If you train yourself to look for the light, your photography will improve so much. So window light inside (not behind your subject), which is almost universally flattering or if you're shooting outside with fast moving creatures - lots of light will enable the camera to use a faster shutter speed, therefore freezing action. Doesn't matter whether you're using high end gear or a phone.

Powerlegs I am one of these people who mostly uses a dSLR on standard settings and think I manage a pretty high success rate of decent photos including action ones. Your original post doesn't specify if your happy to look at one but the entry level cameras even with kit lens can produce some pretty good shots.

I started with a Canon 450d :).

My goodness :) so glad I asked!!!

Apologies for being vague as well as any further silly questions, I didn't really know where to start but this is awesome help. Busily reading links now :) :) :)

I'd be happy to lend you my old Canon 450D (DSLR) and 2 lenses... 18-55mm (the autofocus has carked it but manual focus works fine), and 55-200mm. See how you like it...

T.

Thanks T, not sure what any of that means LOL but I might have to hit you up for a camera lesson day once I settle on what to get. :laugh:

Sorry for the late response, I've got about 20tabs open, reading through all the info on each different camera. Some of the stuff is hard to understand :o but I like the ones that say they are good for a closer photo compensating for the wobble.

Canon Powershot G7 X sounds ok and the stuff written about it is pretty good....... then unfortunately the G3X appeared in the search which is way more expensive but looks like it has lots of things that would make for nice useful photos.

This is the hard bit. Not wanting to get over excited about features that 'could' be used but turn out to be pointless.

If you're not sure if a feature is something that will benefit you, you could always ask about it in here and we can try to help. :)

But there's so many numbers! :laugh:

I think it's going to be Canon. G3X probably.

(was going to be G7 X)

Honestly, the Powershot G3 X is sounding really good, though someone did a review and said that it's 'slow' and 'lacklustre' but that's still going to be better than my current one so it's possible I wouldn't actually have noticed. It's hard to tell if the reviews are picking up issues that would be noticed by an expert rather than someone like me who is always going to just muddle through.

Think my old one is deteriorating. :( There's a sort of blue-ness to things.

If you're not sure if a feature is something that will benefit you, you could always ask about it in here and we can try to help. :)

But there's so many numbers! :laugh:

I think it's going to be Canon. G3X probably.

(was going to be G7 X)

Honestly, the Powershot G3 X is sounding really good, though someone did a review and said that it's 'slow' and 'lacklustre' but that's still going to be better than my current one so it's possible I wouldn't actually have noticed. It's hard to tell if the reviews are picking up issues that would be noticed by an expert rather than someone like me who is always going to just muddle through.

Think my old one is deteriorating. :( There's a sort of blue-ness to things.

WOW!!!!!!!!

:laugh:

Well now I'm stuck, a little birdie called last night and started listing specs and stuff that makes my eyes glaze over. And told me to look at Canon EOS cameras. :eek: Why are there soooo many cameras!? LOL

Remember when it took forever to get your film processed and half of the photos had peoples heads cut off or were under/over exposed? Now cameras can almost make you an espresso.

The offer of the loan of the 450D still stands powerlegs...

Or, if you are still wanting brand new... look at the Canon 1200D, the 700D, or the 750/760D models... and go for one with either the 2 lenses, or the Tamron 18-270mm lens

T.