Dogs And Rural Fences

Morgan brand

Most farms I've ever visited... the dogs are either chained up or in runs when they're not working.

When I take my dog - she's either under my supervision, or in a crate or a run.

Already lost one dog - shot by a farmer for getting too close to his sheep - tho it wasn't clear if that dog ever left the property it was supposed to be on. Just not worth the risk. And there's other ways to die if a dog is prone to wandering - like being hit by car, or stomped by a bull, ripped up by a roo, or bit by a snake, or drowning in a dam...

or picking up a 1080 bait :(

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dogs on my in-laws' farm are in dog runs. The biggest risk with having them loose is the road, the sheep feed lot over the road (more danger for the sheep than the dogs TBH), heavy machinery being moved or worked on & they wouldn't see a dog before they move it. Also with multiple dogs they're more likely to get the whole "pack mentality" thing and run off to chase sheep. FIL also thinks that if dogs are allowed to run "free" or in an enclosed backyard instead of a run they're "gold-coasting" and won't want to work. confused.gif

The dogs on my in-laws' farm are in dog runs. The biggest risk with having them loose is the road, the sheep feed lot over the road (more danger for the sheep than the dogs TBH), heavy machinery being moved or worked on & they wouldn't see a dog before they move it. Also with multiple dogs they're more likely to get the whole "pack mentality" thing and run off to chase sheep. FIL also thinks that if dogs are allowed to run "free" or in an enclosed backyard instead of a run they're "gold-coasting" and won't want to work. confused.gif

Rubbish our dog is a pet and a work dog and he is a brilliant work dog,even if his trainers are very average!!

The pack thing yes I agree

Edited by OSoSwift

Rubbish our dog is a pet and a work dog and he is a brilliant work dog,even if his trainers are very average!!

That's not my words, I think the gold-coasting is completely ridiculous.

Sorry yes I did realise that was not your thoughts on the matter.

Someone told my dad that once, so our work dog lived inside, slept on my bed and still worked exceedingly well. He did like to prove a point :) she even came on holidays with us :)

Edited by OSoSwift

Sorry yes I did realise that was not your thoughts on the matter.

Someone told my dad that once, so our work dog lived inside, slept on my bed and still worked exceedingly well. He did like to prove a point :) she even came on holidays with us :)

It's almost like treating a dog well makes it want to work for you!!!! Who woulda thunk.

Tundra doesn't need to be locked up in a run 24/7 to be interested in me. Every time I go outside or stand up (when he's inside) he's following to see what we're going to do. He takes his job as Chief Supervisor very seriously.