Wagga Pound Cruelty - Not For Easily Upset

Powerlegs

DO NOT CLICK LINK

I've just added text unless you want to see graphic images here

A wave of anger is mounting at a regional New South Wales council as allegations of widespread animal neglect and abuse hit its ratepayer-funded animal shelter.

The Wagga Wagga City Council has been forced to respond to claims kittens were left to die in freezers at its Glenfield Road Animal Shelter, that a dog was wrongly euthanised, reports of pets going missing from official records and other animals being left without veterinary care.

WARNING: DISTRESSING CONTENT

Fairfax Media reports an investigation into the shelter has uncovered a list of shocking incidents over the past three years.

In one of the most confronting claims, a kitten was reportedly found frozen to death in a bloody and scratch-marked freezer by a volunteer.

In another incident, a kitten was found near frozen to death in a freezer before being rescued at the last minute by a distraught volunteer.

Volunteers photographed the dead cat found in a freezer at the Glenfield Road Animal Shelter at Wagga Wagga. Photo: Flickr

In an affidavit to the RSPCA, former shelter volunteer Belinda Oakman described finding a kitten in a freezer, barely alive with its fur icing over after hearing the animal’s cries.

"I opened the door to the cattery and nothing ,” she said.

"It sounded like it was over near the freezer area. I saw nothing. I went back to cleaning and heard it again. I thought 'no', it wouldn't be coming from the freezer," she said.

Another volunteer, Simone Lieschke, described a similar scene months earlier when she discovered a cat that did not survive.

Undercover animal activists secretly filmed alleged animal cruelty

“The cat was bleeding from the nose and there were blood stains all around the freezer walls," she said

"The position of the blood stains looked like they were from the cat trying to get out of the freezer.

"The way the cat was crouching in the freezer struck me as strange - it did not look like a cat that had been euthanised normally."

The revelations come less than a year after the Wagga Wagga council was forced to launch an investigation into how and why a microchipped pet dog was euthanised before its owners, who had been contacted, could collect it.

Ms Oakman, Ms Lieschke and another former shelter volunteer, Myriam Hribar, have launched an online petition that has attracted thousands of signatures.

“We have been in correspondence with Council for over ten months regarding issues that reflect an ongoing pattern of neglect and lack of compassion, and these issues have been occurring and have been raised with Council since 2011,” they wrote.

The volunteers have released a series of photos they claim show animals housed in wet and unsanitary conditions. Photo: Flickr

“We have found very little has changed and have been disappointed in Council’s responses, which has prompted us to contact create this petition and contact media.”

Their petition details a long list of allegations against the shelter, including animals being left without food and water or appropriate bedding.

“A sick young black dog was so thin and emaciated that its body had already started to shut down,” they wrote.

“A rabbit was left for five days with obvious signs of disease, its eyes closed oozing puss and an infected ear. Both these animals should have been taken to the vet immediately and not left to suffer.”

“The design of the new dog kennels, which cost $700,000, has not taken into account animal welfare and practicality. Dogs are sleeping on sometimes wet cement or cement covered in faeces and urine.”

“There has been a documented instance where surrendered re-homeable microchipped cats have been placed on the put-to-sleep list after only a couple of days (even though the cattery was less than half full).”

The council’s general manager Alan Eldridge on Sunday responded to the growing fury with the shelter on the council’s official Facebook page.

He said he had taken a personal interest in the Glenfield Road Animal Shelter since starting his job six months ago. He said he was a passionate animal advocate and pet owner who said he understood the public outcry.

“I acknowledge there have been mistakes at the shelter in the past, but I would like to assure people that the animals are well cared for and I am working with staff to continue to improve animal welfare at our facility,” Mr Eldridge wrote.

“Despite the confronting nature of their day-to-day role, Council staff always endeavour to act with the utmost professionalism and care in all of their duties.

“I write today to assure residents that while distressing, the matters detailed in the story are historic in nature and any necessary action has been taken in the past.”

The council referred the issue to the RSPCA, however, Fairfax Media reports action is unlikely.

RSPCA NSW Chief Inspector David O' Shannessy said his organisation had determined not to proceed with its investigation because it did not believe it could prove "criminal charges beyond reasonable doubt".

council_response_638.jpg

Edited by Powerlegs

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gosh, Powerlegs is right, don't click the link, the pictures are very graphic, and although the top one is blurred there is one further down that isn't :(

How anyone could do that to a cat, let alone people who are being paid to care for animals, is beyond belief. I bloody hope whoever was involved was fired and charged :mad

Thanks for the warning. I am not looking at any photos. I am just wondering if after animals are euthanised their bodies are usually put in the freezer until they can be collected and that this is how those cats ended up being in there: ie the staff assumed they were dead but they weren't.

It seems the freezer cats are the tip of the iceberg (no pun intended.) There is a very well written petition doing the rounds which outlines all of the concerns, and there are some very valid and distressing ones. Last look it had in excess of 23,000 signatures. It took some very brave volunteers to bring this to everyone's attention, and hopefully by doing so, Council will feel very obliged to make some sweeping changes to procedures.

I don't think volunteers will be kept out of the pound - by being in the spotlight now, Council needs to embrace volunteers and rescue groups and change their image. Maybe staffing needs to be looked at as well.

Thank God I live in a place with a decent Council, very caring Ranger and a pound that does all to reunite or rehome the animals.

Thanks for the warning. I am not looking at any photos. I am just wondering if after animals are euthanised their bodies are usually put in the freezer until they can be collected and that this is how those cats ended up being in there: ie the staff assumed they were dead but they weren't.

I don't know, we always sealed deceased animals in a bag before placing in the freezer, which I would think would be standard practice/requirement. The pictured cat was not in a bag and there was no indication it had been when it was placed in the freezer :(

Do you have the link Stell'nme? PM is OK.

If I get this moved to the cruelty section it won't get seen but I will put a warning in the title. Mods feel free to move if appropriate.

Emailed it to you - let me know if you don't receive it.

I don't know, we always sealed deceased animals in a bag before placing in the freezer, which I would think would be standard practice/requirement. The pictured cat was not in a bag and there was no indication it had been when it was placed in the freezer :(

Thanks SG, I did not look at the pictures. That is so awful then that I think this thread should be moved. Horrible horrible horrible! The thread title says that the RSPCA are not taking action. They should be.

The volunteers were removed over 12 months ago and I for one as a rescue and have taken many dogs from Wagga Pound have nothing but praise for the rangers there and their caring nature for all of the animals.

Although it is disturbing to see that kitten I can understand how the rangers would mistake the kitten to be dead from their account, how many humans have been taken to morgues or supposedly died in operating theatres and for them to suddenly start breathing again this is no different.

All dead animals are put in freezers so not sure what the issue is there.

I just find people believe the written word without knowing both sides.

Edited by keetamouse

The volunteers were removed over 12 months ago and I for one as a rescue and have taken many dogs from Wagga Pound have nothing but praise for the rangers there and their caring nature for all of the animals.

Although it is disturbing to see that kitten I can understand how the rangers would mistake the kitten to be dead from their account, how many humans have been taken to morgues or supposedly died in operating theatres and for them to suddenly start breathing again this is no different.

All dead animals are put in freezers so not sure what the issue is there.

I just find people believe the written word without knowing both sides.

I think there is some issue with the kitten ending up like it is in that photo. Surely anywhere dealing with dead animals places them in a bag before they are placed in freezers? Is that not a requirement for disposing of biological waste?

And I just read this on the SMH website:

http://m.smh.com.au/environment/animals/cats-found-in-freezer-at-wagga-wagga-city-council-animal-shelter-20160330-gnuqdn

" In a letter from the council, Ms Oakman was told that a ranger had been "severely bitten" by the kitten while removing it from its cage, adding: "Unfortunately in his attempt to free himself, the cat was accidentally knocked out and believed to be deceased and therefore placed in the freezer." "

I find that fairly unacceptable as well. The ranger's response to a bite from a kitten is to throw it around so badly it is knocked unconscious to the point of appearing dead and then rather than verifying it is dead (presumably it's heart was still beating!!) they just put it in the freezer not in a body bag??

And I just read this on the SMH website:

http://m.smh.com.au/environment/animals/cats-found-in-freezer-at-wagga-wagga-city-council-animal-shelter-20160330-gnuqdn

" In a letter from the council, Ms Oakman was told that a ranger had been "severely bitten" by the kitten while removing it from its cage, adding: "Unfortunately in his attempt to free himself, the cat was accidentally knocked out and believed to be deceased and therefore placed in the freezer." "

I find that fairly unacceptable as well. The ranger's response to a bite from a kitten is to throw it around so badly it is knocked unconscious to the point of appearing dead and then rather than verifying it is dead (presumably it's heart was still beating!!) they just put it in the freezer not in a body bag??

Yes SG it is disturbing and to add to the quote you have supplied this was also in the SMH article.

As she wrapped it up and ran through the office in panic and sheer disbelief, the pound's rangers claimed "more than once" that they "thought it was dead" and "its back was broken".

Why did the rangers think its back was broken?

This is the kitten today that was believed to be dead and with a broken back in the arms of Belinda Oakman, a volunteer worker at the Wagga Wagga animal shelter, who spends endless hours cleaning cat litter trays, washing bedding, filling food bowls and topping up water dishes.

1459744509707.jpg

There is something about all of this that is very disturbing even if it's only the attitude of the RSPCA.

Do you have the link Stell'nme? PM is OK.

If I get this moved to the cruelty section it won't get seen but I will put a warning in the title. Mods feel free to move if appropriate.

Emailed it to you - let me know if you don't receive it.

Thank you. Very disturbing to read. :(

Stupid question, there were two different kittens? Did both survive?

I haven't had the guts to go read more articles and find out more. :(

Yes PL, two kittens. One was found dead (the one that appeared to have struggled and bled) and the other, the black one pictured, was found still alive in the freezer. The black one is the one the council say rangers thought was dead when it was put in the freezer.

Edited by Simply Grand