Holistic Vet In Sydney's South West

DZaak

Hi DOLers,

I have been taking my Maltese/Silky to the Fairford Rd. Animal Hospital in Bankstown (I live in Padstow). They've generally been good, but now that she's been diagnosed with Dermatisis (Malassezia aka. Yeast based skin allergies), I want to make her life easier. After a mild medicated shampoo was prescribed and didn't work, the vet has got her straight onto cortiso steroids.

After doing a bit of reading, I've realized that this is a short term fix and over using this sort of treatment would be very bad to her immune system. Considering that the whole reason she has this disease is due to the immune system not fighting of yeast properly, that is very concerning that weakening it just make the problem worst in the long term.

I'd like to change vets and find one that believes in natural/holistic methods. As far as I know, a good way to assist in treating the root cause is possibly looking at leaky gut syndrome. If this is the case, at least we can ongoingly treat her with suppliments to assist digestion. The thing is, I don't want to go about assuming this without a vet's recommendation.

Thanks to those that read through all of that. Are there any recommendations for my area for a vet that isn't just going to jump straight to steroids and anti biotics when anything goes wrong?

Thanks.

Hi DOLers,

I have been taking my Maltese/Silky to the Fairford Rd. Animal Hospital in Bankstown (I live in Padstow). They've generally been good, but now that she's been diagnosed with Dermatisis (Malassezia aka. Yeast based skin allergies), I want to make her life easier. After a mild medicated shampoo was prescribed and didn't work, the vet has got her straight onto cortiso steroids.

After doing a bit of reading, I've realized that this is a short term fix and over using this sort of treatment would be very bad to her immune system. Considering that the whole reason she has this disease is due to the immune system not fighting of yeast properly, that is very concerning that weakening it just make the problem worst in the long term.

I'd like to change vets and find one that believes in natural/holistic methods. As far as I know, a good way to assist in treating the root cause is possibly looking at leaky gut syndrome. If this is the case, at least we can ongoingly treat her with suppliments to assist digestion. The thing is, I don't want to go about assuming this without a vet's recommendation.

Thanks to those that read through all of that. Are there any recommendations for my area for a vet that isn't just going to jump straight to steroids and anti biotics when anything goes wrong?

Thanks.

I know this is late but I contacted Jacqueline Rudan Naturopath on her web page she only cost me $60 & she rung me & spoke for 1 hour about diet & supplements.... diet change is best & no Vet Diets have a look at Meals For Mutts & Canidae Pure Formula http://www.naturalanimalsolutions.com.au/about.html

Thanks DOLers.

I'll look at all these suggestions.

Just for more info on her food.

We rotate her between Blackhawk and Applaws. We have a bag of meals for mutts we found on special with a long exp date so we have that ready to go when her current bag starts getting low.