Next Breed Selection Help :)

kiwihounds

Yes, you could definitely do showing and sports with an Aussie Shepherd. Grooming' pretty easy (a weekly brush, trim a knot out here or there, bath as required - and I do less than that atm and she is fine :o )

They do like to play rough, but mine and others I've seen are pretty good at modifying their play depending on who they are playing with. Mine is very gentle with small dogs and although she plays "rough" with my toy poodle x (5kgs ish) and my Sheltie, she does adjust her style and be much more careful about where she puts her feet with them than when she plays with a bigger dog and has never hurt them.

Pretty easy to live with really, except that they are CLEVER and some (mine) will be into everything - she can open the fridge, oven, cupboards, doors, baby gates, and she is curious so always wants to know what everything is. She just figured out opening the back security door, meaning she let herself out the back, which she shouldn't be doing unattended because she can also jump the fence *eye roll* My house has to be carefully child proofed.

She's great fun though :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My primary concern would be integrating the pup into a household with an existing IG.

Are you prepared to separate them for quite some time while the pup grows and learns the rules of play with a much smaller dog?

The risks of a big dog (even one without any malice) with a much smaller dog shouldn't be under estimated.

You can do agility with Whippets but it's probably not the breed I'd select for serious competition. A small working breed like a Swedish Valhund would be where I'd be looking.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

So do you want to show and do dog sports?

Want to show as the primary thing. I've been doing it for years, helping with others as well. Family showed too so its in the blood lol

Never done dog sports apart from a 6-week general obedience course which we've done with all our dogs. Any dog sports would be for fun, if the dog enjoyed it, not as a serious competition deal. The only exception might be lure coursing if I got another sighthound breed. That's something I'd probably gun for a title in. But things like agility is just something I've wanted to give a go for funsies. It's not a major if the breed isn't suitable if it meets the other requirements.

My primary concern would be integrating the pup into a household with an existing IG.

Are you prepared to separate them for quite some time while the pup grows and learns the rules of play with a much smaller dog?

The risks of a big dog (even one without any malice) with a much smaller dog shouldn't be under estimated.

You can do agility with Whippets but it's probably not the breed I'd select for serious competition. A small working breed like a Swedish Valhund would be where I'd be looking.

Yep, all interaction would be supervised carefully and they'd be separated while nobody was around. I don't underestimate the potential for injury to the IG. She's very sensible and good with big dogs as well, which helps. She'd have one educated in no time I'm sure lol

Swedish Val's are a bit small for what I'm looking for. I don't really like them either. :o

Edited by kiwihounds

*bearing in mind I've not lived with the following* I'm not saying any of these would be the right one - but I'm just thinking of what I'd look at it your list was mine - does that make sense?

Ignoring your coat requirements Airedales seem like nice little dogs?

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/188259-airedale-terrier/

Foxhounds.

I think they're beautiful dogs. Hard to come by in Aus. I've met one who was very very nervous but his owner told me that was not typical of the breed. (there's a litter planned for next year according to the DOL page)

TSD - What about a Dally?

Perhaps a saluki? It of course varies between individuals, but your circumstances sound like they would suit my girl to the ground. Grooming is simple. My girl barks to alert us to people walking by the house, but it isn't much. I know of several salukis who have dabbled in agility as well. My only worry would be potential rough play with a much smaller dog.

Perhaps a saluki? It of course varies between individuals, but your circumstances sound like they would suit my girl to the ground. Grooming is simple. My girl barks to alert us to people walking by the house, but it isn't much. I know of several salukis who have dabbled in agility as well. My only worry would be potential rough play with a much smaller dog.

Ive always adored salukis. Ever since i was about 7 years old and saw them in a breed book. Would love one someday.

So beautiful

Personally I think a large sighthound would be a bad match for an IG.

The two dogs could not be together unsupervised EVER and could not run together. The risk to the smaller dog is too great IMO

I'd be looking no larger than a medium dog.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Hey I just thought of one you might be interested in. A bit smaller than you were saying, but would fit the other descriptions and may get on with an IG better than a large breed.

Pyrenean Shepherd.

Not very common in Australia (you said you liked rare breeds), but I know of 3 that have recently been imported to agility homes, I think 2 of them are also being shown? Very popular in agility in Europe.

Edit as I realised you are in NZ :laugh: two of the Pyr Sheps were actually imported from NZ so there are a couple over there!

Edited by Kavik

*bearing in mind I've not lived with the following* I'm not saying any of these would be the right one - but I'm just thinking of what I'd look at it your list was mine - does that make sense?

Ignoring your coat requirements Airedales seem like nice little dogs?

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/188259-airedale-terrier/

Foxhounds.

I think they're beautiful dogs. Hard to come by in Aus. I've met one who was very very nervous but his owner told me that was not typical of the breed. (there's a litter planned for next year according to the DOL page)

Dallies are awesome. Naturally :laugh: Need lots of exercise and mental stimulation. Shed like no tomorrow. Twice a year, 6 months in the Autumn and 6 months in the Spring. Very showy in the ring, built beautifully for agility but very few doing it because they are somewhat more difficult to train. Popularity in the show ring depends on the location - Victoria is very strong, for example. Not sure about NZ.

Dallies are awesome. Naturally :laugh: Need lots of exercise and mental stimulation. Shed like no tomorrow. Twice a year, 6 months in the Autumn and 6 months in the Spring. Very showy in the ring, built beautifully for agility but very few doing it because they are somewhat more difficult to train. Popularity in the show ring depends on the location - Victoria is very strong, for example. Not sure about NZ.

You don't see many around really. I've only ever met two in day to day life.

:rofl: and :eek: at the shedding - both black and white furs too :) (or liver - ya know)... Bit lik Scottie - he drops like no ones business. My next dog will be a solid colour :)

I'd love an Irish Red and White Setter! I've met a few overseas with lovely temperaments and I love their broader heads compared to the Irish Setter. Pretty rare in this part of the world, generally good with people and other dogs and no squashy face lol.

I'd love an Irish Red and White Setter! I've met a few overseas with lovely temperaments and I love their broader heads compared to the Irish Setter. Pretty rare in this part of the world, generally good with people and other dogs and no squashy face lol.

On my wish list is a working Irish Setter. Cracking dogs. And one of THE best breeders is in NZ - had the pleasure of meeting her dogs a few years ago. Not much help fir the show ring though!

Don't get a pyr! They're mad lol.

I like the sound of the Cirnecos, they sound quite primitive and wild which I like! Little a short Pharaoh hound. I've heard there was one Australia, but none in NZ that I know of.

Azawakh? They're another fav of mine, but a bit out there! None in NZ that I know of but there are quite a few in Aussie now.