They Studied Dogs That Had Extreme Longevity And Guess What They Found

asal

Is there a reason why they don't sterilize instead of desex as the article meantions..

its easier to remove the lot. no fiddling, was the reason I believe. my mum decided she wanted her two done because they kept jumping on each other, both females, tried to convince her its a dominance game but she wouldnt listen. so they were both done and guess what they still did to the day they died of old age. wasnt safe to say told u so though

Edited by asal

Had many of my own dogs over the years... generally entire... have to say I have never had issues with having my own dog's entire...

As a Professional Trainer it can make a difference at times working with dogs who are entire. Desexing doesn't change the dogs temperament but with some individuals and particularly some breeds, can become harder for families to work with if left entire.

In the boarding kennel the advantage of de-sexed is that we can be more relaxed about having dogs/bitches placed in pens near each other. The other thing we have noted with entire boys is that they often have a stronger scent.

If dogs don't wander the streets then there is no danger of unwanted pregnancies... Hence really not much of an argument for mandatory desexing.

This is one of those topics where findings are all over the place. see, eg., http://skeptvet.com/...based-approach/

(gives 13 references to peer reviewed articles . . . all of which draw somewhat different conclusions). The consensus is no longer desex-them-all, and there aren't a lot of people sticking up with early desexing. But there is no scientific consensus.

I'd say the authors of the article cited in the OP formed an opinion and then cited the references that back that opinion.

My foundation bitch died of reproductive system complications that would have been prevented by spaying. I personally think it's good to spay bitches that are post-reproductive. Hard to find any studies on older-age desexing.

Edited by sandgrubber

One of the interesting things that came out of some of the more recent studies I read was that it also differs between breeds, in some breeds early or young adult de sexing reduces longevity, in others not really.