Roadkill...

Willem

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wrt bats: it seems that they (the dead ones) are only around North Wollongong and Figtree - there have been a lot of complaints about a colony close to a school and a Hungry Jacks (or Kentucky...?), so they might have been poisoned.

wrt roadkill: nothing suitable on the roads for a while, but this morning I was lucky. First I a saw a killed kangaroo (must have been less than 24 hours dead), but it wasn't in the best shape (no need to go into details), so I gave it a miss. On my way back I saw a wallaby (also less than 24 hours dead - likely killed in the early morning hours by a car hitting his rear legs, rigor mortis was just setting in). A healthy male with quite some meat on him - all in the freezer now :) .

Bats are actually protected... so if someone is poisoning them, it's a crime... *sigh*

There's a colony not far from one of my friends' house, and I love watching them all leave en masse for their evening foraging when I visit her place... just magical to watch them all flying in large groups.

T.

when working in Jabiru / NT the trees around the mine mess where shared by cockatoos and bats - in the morning the cockatoos flew out, the bats in; in the evening the bats out and the cockatoos in. A pretty noisy and stinky spectacle.

Edited by Willem

saw 3 dead ones on the way dropping off the kids for school (along the Princess Highway before the Figtree / Wollongong exit); couldn't stop. On the way back I found this one

post-54054-0-40735500-1476659377_thumb.jpg

approx. 500 m before the Dapto-Kanahooka exit; already in a bad decomposed state (based on the smell I would estimate that it was dead since 3-4 days), but no signs of being smashed by a car - really looked like it dropped dead from the sky.

Edited by Willem

• 2 weeks later...

I checked with my friend... apparently many of them had been shot... *sigh*

The colony roost is near a school and some fast food outlets, so the locals have decided to try to get rid of them themselves... grrr!

Seeing as bats are protected, anyone found to have done this will be prosecuted...

T.