Is There A Way To Help Your Dog Have More Of An “Iron Stomach” Or Is I

She is perfectly fine on a very bland diet of black hawk (lamb and rice for puppy) or chicken and rice etc, with a few veggies and yogurt :)

But she seems to have issues with most treats/chews etc - even when i've given her a pigs ear (and she's had only a quarter of it) or a rawhide stick she seems to get “mushy” poos instead of firm.

I think the only chew she has been great with is roo tendons so far.

She did get gastro as a puppy from having 2cms of a sausage too and again when a dog trainer gave her two pieces of devon...I think she struggles with anything a little bit fatty? (even in tiny amounts)

I can definitely give her lower fat treats but naturally she loves all of the fatty things more!

That particular Black Hawk kibble at 17% isn't low fat, but pigs ears are extraordinarily fatty.

TBH I'd just stick with lower fat chews/treats. There's also Greenies and Whimzees (check age guidelines) for chews. Dried chicken breast is a lower fat treat which is easy to break into smaller pieces. Steamed chicken breast for a soft training treat. She may also tolerate kangaroo sausages? These things are quite high value for my dog. Whimzees not so much but definitely the rest.

Just seems like chicken things are the only thing i can use for training at the moment (anything else and she cant handle more than 1 teaspoon of- not that it seems to bother her at all)

She is pretty good with dried chicken, roast/steamed chicken etc but doesnt seem to love them like the other stuff...

Thank you Papillon Kisses I will try the kangaroo sausages for training as well and whimzees too! :)

She doesn't like greenies at all though, will spit them out - such a fusspot!

Im going to try her on some other kibbles in a few months...but I thought all the puppy foods are fairly high in fat? Or is this one much higher than others?

Edited by mowgliandme

It's not that BH is higher than the others, it's just that when talking about kibble low fat seems to be around 10% or less. Those aren't strict figures but just what I've seen on some weight loss/management kibble. If she can tolerate 17% fat in kibble then I'd stick to similar figures. :)

Maybe try just a little of the kangaroo sausage at first to see if she tolerates it. It's 98% fat free but quite rich in iron.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

My westie can't eat rich food. Gets upset tum. So he's fed human grade chicken and turkey mince. He can have a small amount of liver treats. According to him "no treats, no sleeps". He gets a liver treat on his bed at night so he stops fanging around the yard. If I don't get him one, he waits with his nose poking through the doggy door until I do - I'm well trained LOL.

He gets the odd pigs ear after being groomed. He seems to self limit his consumption ie eats it slowly, usually over a day or two. He'll bring me his "treasure" to store so the piggy cocker doesn't pinch it.

I think the only option is to limit their consumption of fatty food.

He loves bbq chook and that doesn't upset his tum. It's an infrequent treat and definitely no skin.

hehe karen15 they do try and train us dont they!

I have always had more "labrador like" dogs who could eat anything

but will continue to limit those foods for her :)

She is not much of a foodie but really lights up for sausages and salmon so she only gets the tiniest piece :p

The worst part is I'm vegetarian so i go and make all these things for her and then turns out she cant eat much of it or doesnt even like it...so now I'm that weirdo thats trying to give my friends sausages or mince! :p

She is definitely a grazer too...I've tried removing the food after 5 minutes, skipping a couple of meals but shes only ever interested in food from the treat ball when it suits her

I hear you! My parents' toy poodle will pick up a single piece of kibble and play fetch with it for two minutes before deciding to eat it. A treat dispensing toy would only make things worse. :laugh:

Then there's my dog who needs all his food in toys, maze bowls, training etc or else he eats so fast he vomits. :o

Funny my westie is the same. Much happier eating kibble out of the toys than from his bowl. Only problem is the overweight cocker has now realised toys contain food so she hoards them all and won't let him have any. It took her about 12 months to make the connection, but now she has the food toys have to stay empty. If I'm home obviously I can intervene but I was using them for amusement while I was out, so there goes that plan.

Same with bones. They were each getting a beef neck bone of a morning. I eventually had to be realistic and admit the cocker was getting 14 bones a week and the westie none. So now they get a bone twice a week, which has cut the cocker down to 4 bones a week..... She is such a sneak. Waits to hear the car leave, then bullies the baby off his bone and lies on it while she eats hers. The westie seems happy to eat pregnawed bones, I suppose that's all he's ever gotten, so they have the cleaned off bones to chew on inbetween fresh bone day. I've found a butcher who does fairly small ones, so that helps even more.

Finally weight is coming off the cocker! Wonder why LOL

I feed the beef neck bones because they are a little meaty and have limited fat. That was more for the cockers waistline than the westies delicate tum, but kills two birds with one bone....

Edited by karen15

This thread has popped up at a great time! My boy Rupie is coming off a few days with the runs. :( I'm sure it was caused by food as I'd given him different treats during agility training Monday night.

I'm really struggling with treats for him as my other 2 dogs can tolerate anything and cheese is a huge favourite. Rupie and cheese is a huge no go zone.

I've never had a dog before with such a sensitive stomach so I'm just sort of fumbling my way through. Having said that, I've had success with Chunkers but they're harder to break into smaller pieces but for Rupie's benefit, I think I'll persevere.

It can change as they mature - my youngster couldn't eat cheese without getting the runs so I would give her a couple of small pieces amongst her normal treats and now she is fine.

I don't feed sausage - full of preservatives and fat.

Pig ears - feed the veg ones. My Dally can't eat the original ones so everyone has the veg ones.

Give whole raw chicken frames for munching on.

Cooked chicken and boiled egg make great treats

Much prefer 4 Legs over Chunkers

Appetite will change as they mature but don't pander to them and make sure they're slim and trim. My youngster was distracted away from food at 5 weeks!!! Finally she loves it at 18 months. Still skinny, crazy running girl though.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Thanks for the tip re 4 Legs -- I might pick some up to try instead!

I definitely don't have to worry about him being fussy with food either. He eats anything with gusto even the cheese that upsets him! I do still give him pieces here and there but for now that's it.

He also had terrible travel sickness as a pup but he's finally grown out of that. Even if he stays sensitive to certain foods, I'll just manage that accordingly. He's happy, healthy and energetic so something must be going right :laugh:

Ooh thanks for the suggestions I will try 4 legs/chunkers too :)

Shes pretty good with bones and chicken frames but i cant use them for training... She is quite slim according to our vet, but not underweight

She also has been travel sick a couple of times...but i was also travel sick then because the roads were so windy

I tried to use cheese for training but I accidentally ate half of it before I even got her and the clicker out :p

RSA, have you tried cat kibble as a reward treat? Comes highly flavoured, in very small pieces and fat content is usually around only 10%. These days you can even get grain free varieties if your dog is sensitive to grain.

And it's not expensive to buy - if the dogs don't like it, wild birds will eat it so it won't be wasted!