Second dog concerns

SamandBear

Hi,

So my partner and I are considering getting a second dog, especially as a companion for our current dog but also, 2 is always better than 1!

I just have a few concerns I thought I'd bring up here too see if anyone has any advice.

1. My current dog will be 2 by the time we pick our second dog up - is he too young to be adding a second dog into our 'pack' ? - We thought adding another dog whilst our Samoyed is still young would make the transition for him a lot easier.

2. The dog we will be getting will be quite a large breed, Bernese Mountain Dog, is this weight and height difference going to cause insecurities in my current dog?

And any advice on introducing the two of them, tips or tricks for a smooth transition or anything I should know about the difference between having 1 dog and having 2?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, and welcome :).

Some things to consider...

Why are you getting another?

For you, or because you think your dog needs a friend?

Is your boy well trained, quiet and settled, pleasant to take out, and good around other dogs?

Do you have room, if necessary to keep dogs separated from each other safely? A new pup will need to be kept separate for some time,walked separately etc.

Is your boy castrated?

Then just the general stuff...large dog vet bills etc...are an extra.

Extra hair..some delicious drool :)

Just things that popped into my head  :)

• Like 1

Second what @persephone said.  If you've chosen a specific breed then that suggests the second dog is for you not just for the first dog.    Two dogs are definitely fun,., but also pretty uch twice the work .  You need to find time to train each one separately, as well as doing things with them together.

In terms of the size/weight thing ..  the Bernese I've known are pretty gentle characters, although they can be clumsy/.   A friend of mine .. an experienced Bernese owner .. now has a Bernese living happily with a Cairn terrier.   They've grown up together, and she's had no problems over - they're 2 years old..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SamandBear said:

Hi,

So my partner and I are considering getting a second dog, especially as a companion for our current dog but also, 2 is always better than 1!

I just have a few concerns I thought I'd bring up here too see if anyone has any advice.

1. My current dog will be 2 by the time we pick our second dog up - is he too young to be adding a second dog into our 'pack' ? - We thought adding another dog whilst our Samoyed is still young would make the transition for him a lot easier.

2. The dog we will be getting will be quite a large breed, Bernese Mountain Dog, is this weight and height difference going to cause insecurities in my current dog?

And any advice on introducing the two of them, tips or tricks for a smooth transition or anything I should know about the difference between having 1 dog and having 2?

Thanks in advance!

A lot depends on your first dog.  In my experience, most dogs at 2years, are good with puppies.  A few hate them.  Some get excited and play too rough.  Some are nervous or possessive and might snap.  You need to be prepared to watch them and adjust, and be prepared to separate them as needed.

It may be worth noting that Berners are not a long lived breed.  You may be setting yourself up for a very sorrowful year as two dogs approach the rainbow bridge together.

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sandgrubber said:

A lot depends on your first dog.  In my experience, most dogs at 2years, are good with puppies.  A few hate them.  Some get excited and play too rough.  Some are nervous or possessive and might snap.  You need to be prepared to watch them and adjust, and be prepared to separate them as needed.

It may be worth noting that Berners are not a long lived breed.  You may be setting yourself up for a very sorrowful year as two dogs approach the rainbow bridge together.

I nearly said something about the shorter life expectancy, although among the good BMD breeders, the average life expectancy has gone up .. into double figures now .. just .. but that's better than 8 or 9.    It will be really important to choose your breeder carefully, and ask a lot of questions about the longevity of dogs they have bred.

• Like 1

two is not always better than one & anyone bringing in a second dog should always have a plan for the what ifs /What if they don't get along,what if we made a mistake ,what if things aren't going to plan .
Transition wise we tell our owners bringing in a second dog that they can't be left alone together when no one is home .
The older dog may not like its new buddy at first,older dog is entitled to having its normal safe space & pup needs to also be safe & have time out .

Older dog ideally is well trained,has a good nature & potentially a great role model for the new pup & above all has been around other dogs & shown the desire to enjoy a new buddy .
Ensure your breeder knows you have a current dog & make sure the pup selected shows the signs of being the right match

• Like 1