Dogs walking off leash

teddybeans

I'm not sure whether there is any law in NSW for this, is it mandatory to leash your dog while walking?  I've come across many owners walking unleashed dogs and i'm often nervous when i see them.  My boys are always leashed when I'm walking them.  They don't do well to unexpected strangers coming up to them.

https://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/public/dogs-and-cats/responsible-pet-ownership-program/dogs-and-public-places

Unfortunately many people think they're above the law for multiple reasons and will indeed have their dogs off lead in all manner of places without consideration for the safety or perceived safety of others. These same people are usually shocked and surprised when leash laws tighten up some more.

Thistle and I were followed by one SWF down a street quite persistently today, until I threw the bag of dog poo at it*. My next option was going to be heading past the junkyard dog (he's an angry dog) then directly towards the 3 lane road. I find owners are suddenly very quick to call their dogs when they see that you're going to cross a busy road to get away from them. Shouldn't have to do that, but that's how people be.

I have seen dogs off lead in the middle of melbourne city during peak hour. Some people are just plain inconsiderate to others. No matter how well trained, it's a dick move and unsafe move.

* I returned 10 mins later to reclaim the bag of dog poo

Edited by Two Best Dogs!
there is still no poo emoji :(
  • Like 2

I've seen people doing it with big dogs and they put the leash when they see me with my dog approaching and they say "she wouldn't do anything, she's harmless". My thinking is, they are animals and they will act on instinct. Imagine if its a little child and the dog reacts and attacks.

One time a guy was walking his dog off a leash and it nearly attacked my dog. I told the owner his dog should have been on leash and he had a go at me saying my dog was the problem, not his. I just dont get some dog owners.

And dont get me started on the owners that leave their garages open or have their dogs in the front yard that come out of nowhere and attack.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, teddybeans said:

thanks for that, not sure what i can do but usually when i see dogs off leash, i walk the other way.  

If it's an area where dogs really should be on leash, I tend to move away from the other dog/owner as far as I can, and if I can't completely avoid them, I will call out long before the other dog even looks like getting near my two … nicely .." Could you call dog  please.  Mine are not super friendly."   Which is half a fib .. one is, the other isn't.      Thoughtful owners will see you avoiding the meeting, and will have enough manners and training on their dog to call the dog back and either leash or keep it under control while we pass.   My two will be on shorter leashes and the other side of me.    I always thank the other owner … and if the dogs are settled and there is enough room, we might end up having a nice chat, as happened to me to me other day.

If the other dog/owner does not respond well, then my best option is turn and go in a different direction.  

If you need to buy a bit of time as you turn and go, you can always throw a handful of treats in the path of the oncoming dog. 

• Like 2