Water bowl obsession

old_picker

We have a new pup and she is rather georgeus but has a problem keeping out of the water bowl. She can't stop herself from pawing at the bowl and in fact dances with her two front paws in the bowl until empty. We bought a couple of new water bowls advertised as a perfect  foil for this behaviour. $70 Down the gurgler. She quickly pulled them apart and emptied them both in about 30 seconds.  

Looked at some of the bottle feed Jobs but not convinced.

Love to hear any ideas on what to get so we can relax knowing the dogs always have water. 

Not a metal waterbowl. Its green plastic. The supposed paw proof bowls have an insert floating on top of the water with a depression to allow a small amount to be available to lap up. She just jumps on it delighting in the water splashing out of it.

16 hours ago, old_picker said:

We have a new pup and she is rather georgeus but has a problem keeping out of the water bowl. She can't stop herself from pawing at the bowl and in fact dances with her two front paws in the bowl until empty. We bought a couple of new water bowls advertised as a perfect  foil for this behaviour. $70 Down the gurgler. She quickly pulled them apart and emptied them both in about 30 seconds.  

Looked at some of the bottle feed Jobs but not convinced.

Love to hear any ideas on what to get so we can relax knowing the dogs always have water. 

I've always used buckets rather than bowls.

If the pup persists, some concrete can help, either cement the bucket in, or put concrete at its bottom. 

38 minutes ago, sandgrubber said:

I've always used buckets rather than bowls.

If the pup persists, some concrete can help, either cement the bucket in, or put concrete at its bottom. 

for sure SG.

puppy is having such fun with the water bowl. perhaps @old_picker can put several round the yard as puppy-fun-games and a bucket of water with the cement idea or just wired to a post or screw one bucket to a post and slip another bucket inside it

• Like 3

I have one just like it. think she has otter in her. tried a half plastic barrel so she couldn't empty it. well? spends half the day in it. LOVES her swimming pool.

so sopping wet hugs most of the time.

wondering about getting an automatic waterer. but suspect will need to put it where I have water loving plants as I suspect she will just keep splashing the water out? but at least then only wet paws instead of entire body, sigh

at lest being stainless steel shouldn't break?

I suspect have to put metal pipe fittings too or anything else would be considered dental floss.

Automatic Water Bowl 1 item

Edited by asal

Agree with providing approved space/s for her to play with water in addition to sorting out her drinking source. Perhaps one of those clamshell sandpits? When she is digging at her drinking water, you can redirect her to her pool and reward her (use high value treats or toys) for playing there instead. Also look into other enrichment opportunities like feeding from food toys, having her sniff out hidden food in the yard, providing a regular digging pit? Canine Enrichment group on Facebook has lots of ideas. 

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Thanks everyone for the suggestions - most appreciated.

I will use the bucket inside a bucket screwed to post idea.

Also the idea of the clamshell for her to play in is one for serious consideration.

Either that or some metal baking dishes. 

Maybe she'll leave the water bowl alone if she has other places for water games.

Oh boy then there really will be a constant mess on our white tiles inside. 

As long as she can have fun and have a water bowl full all the time doesn't matter.

• Like 5