Opinions please, ACD for begniners?

So ultimately I spose what I am asking is this, How forgiving of a breed are they for new owners? I have read they are likely to run rampart over new owners and that they need experienced handlers to really shine. From my observations this seems to be the case. What are the most common problems he will run into that I haven't listed based on your knowledge of the breed and or experience? anything else to consider? Thanks

My first dog, when I was 20, was a GSD X ACD. I didn't have any problems with her. It's really up to your friend on how this will work out. All you can do is suggest puppy school and then an obedience club. Mind you I never took mine to either.

The red flags for me in this situation are the other people in the home.  The person himself might be able to cope OK .. although maybe not an ideal situation, but apart from the obvious physical dangers of trips and nipping and scratching, there is likely to be maximum confusion for the pup, which is not good for any pup, but perhaps especially problematic for an ACD..

Is the breeder aware of the hoe situation the pup is going to.?  How much is the breeder likelhy to bew able to provide guidance and assistance if necessary?

• Like 3

My first dog as an adult was an ACD.  We learnt a lot together and she was an awesome dog (as was my 2nd ACD and we also learnt a lot together).  Training of the dog is for for life, ACDs need a lot of mental stimulation as well as physical, and they are very active well up into their senior years.   

• Like 1

I have had a number of cattle dogs of my own as well as training clients ACD’s. I would never recommend a cattle dog for a novice owner unless they are exceptional in terms of not only their willingness to train BUT their natural handling ability as well. 

They really aren’t that forgiving of mistakes compared to many other breeds. 

• Like 4