A blog post from Steve, at K9Pro

persephone

LINKY

Excerpt:

I demonstrated the handling techniques etc. with him and he played his role very seriously.

At lunch break we shared lunch and on the way home I bought him a 6 pack of Nuggets as his pay....

Years have gone by, and I saw him from time to time, he always remembered me even when he got older forgot most things.

His little clock had slowed right down in the last year or so, and life was not as pleasant for this old man anymore.

For some reason, dogs passing is so much worse for me than people.

• Like 5

Thank you for sharing this link.  I lost one of my dogs in late August this year and still miss him dreadfully.  He was such a character and loved life and his walks.  The house is so quiet without him.  I think of him every day.  Some dogs you just can't replace.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

15 hours ago, persephone said:

..and they never leave your heart. :love: I still miss my Mitchell, who died back in 1997  :cry: 

I remember my Penny (my first Westie) every time I bring the groceries inside; she would have all of the items pulled out of the bags and checked before I had bought in the next load from the car, she could undo the zip on the cooler bag to get to the chicken. The best rat-catcher ever.

She is the middle dog my photo below

Edited by Boronia
  • Like 3

I lost Sasha and Lacey this year and I still miss them terribly.. I miss their quirky ways and I even miss their barks.

Your right Deeds..  you can’t replace them. We have a new puppy in the house and even though she is a cheeky, outgoing puppy it’s not the same.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Deeds said:

Thank you for sharing this link.  I lost one of my dogs in late August this year and still miss him dreadfully.  He was such a character and loved life and his walks.  The house is so quiet without him.  I think of him every day.  Some dogs you just can't replace.

It's been over 15 years since my beautiful Rotti boy passed peacefully at 14yo. He was one in a million. 
As he entered his elderly years I shed many tears at the thought of losing him yet his passing was so peaceful that I didn't shed a single tear. 

Rarely a day goes past when I don't think of him with a smile. What a privilege it was to share my life with a dog that had more commonsense, better judgement and was so reliable compared to many humans I've known. 

He still visits me in my dreams occasionally. There's no doubt in my mind that he'll be waiting to greet me when my time comes. 

No, a special furry friend cannot be replaced. That's why I should not have bought another Rotti after his passing because comparisons [and even expectations] are inevitable and totally unfair to the new dog.

Not that I was looking for another dog, it worked out for the best that I ended up with a GSD who is totally different to Rotti boy. 
It allows me to enjoy him for who he is rather than experiencing any disappointment due to any expectations from comparing him to Rotti boy. 

• Like 2

On 13/12/2021 at 3:30 PM, Deeds said:

some are just a cut above all others, leave the biggest hole in your heart

• Sad 1