Jump to content

I'm getting a puppy!


 Share

Recommended Posts

VERY EXCITED! 

I will be getting an english setter pup.
They are due in June and one will be joining me after 8-9 weeks. 
It's been nearly 10 years since I've had a puppy- and it's my first large breed - so would appreciate any words of wisdom or product recommendations. 

Will definitely be crate training and have already stocked up on enrichment toys, but always happy to hear your favourite puppy suitable ones. 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats! Photos please.
 

My daughter is about to take possession of a cocker puppy. I’m almost as excited as I was when she gave me my first grandchild. :laugh:

  • Like 4
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lovely!  Yes, photos and puppy news welcome @denali.  No advice, - only obedience club if any near you, and accept it can all to go to pot if a bird flies across your path.

Same Anne - two new dolpups to compare notes and progress!  Is good.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just had to say English Setters are the most wonderful breed. They are so under rated- the perfect companion! 
 

Our boy basically loved everything we gave him as a puppy so no real recommendations for anything specific to buy- he went through a destructive stage around 6 months old but some toys on rotation and management and he transitioned out of that easily. He’s now 18 months and is one of the easiest dogs we’ve ever lived with!

12BD93B0-987F-46C4-B582-570CFEAA8CBC.jpeg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve owned 5 ES .

Focus on independence games ,ES can be very needy and barkers if not set up for success .

Grooming is a life skill mastered when still a pup 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

I’ve owned 5 ES .

Focus on independence games ,ES can be very needy and barkers if not set up for success .

Grooming is a life skill mastered when still a pup 

 
I'll be chatting extensively with the breeder closer to re. keeping their coats, but did you handstrip your ES? clip or just a good brushing? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Cosmolo said:

Just had to say English Setters are the most wonderful breed. They are so under rated- the perfect companion! 
 

Our boy basically loved everything we gave him as a puppy so no real recommendations for anything specific to buy- he went through a destructive stage around 6 months old but some toys on rotation and management and he transitioned out of that easily. He’s now 18 months and is one of the easiest dogs we’ve ever lived with!

12BD93B0-987F-46C4-B582-570CFEAA8CBC.jpeg


They really are. I fell in love with them after getting to know the two that came to my old dog daycare centre. 

He is a stunner! 
They're expecting all colours, and i will take personality over colour any day, but the blue beltons are just extra striking in my opinion. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We fell in love after having a long term client who had three within her family. We did training with all of them but there was a blue belton boy we did a lot with and he was the one that definitely made us start talking to breeders. 
 

We met our breeder just before covid hit and went on their waitlist. Had only met one of their dogs at a show and then we were in lockdown when the litter arrived so we let the breeder choose for us and hadn’t met the parents- made us very apprehensive, but Oakley was perfect for us from the moment he arrived. 
 

We have him properly hand stripped at the groomer and have an awesome comb that we run though him in between. Aside from throat/ hygiene areas etc I’d die if anyone clipped him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, denali said:

 
I'll be chatting extensively with the breeder closer to re. keeping their coats, but did you handstrip your ES? clip or just a good brushing? 

Handstripped/ show groom .

if spaying watch out for spay coats 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...