My dog won’t get into bed himself?

grace_02

So I’m 16 and have a Moodle dog (Maltese x toy poodle), so only a small dog. He’s 9 years old. He goes through stages where he can get into my bed perfectly by himself and then for a couple days he can’t get into bed himself (unless I lift him), and barks and whines till I lift him up. Then he gets off not soon after.

Last night he woke me up 8 times for help into bed so it’s a little bit annoying. Any ideas on what he might be doing? 

9yrs is time for a top-to-toe health check. :) You need to rule out pain, discomfort or illness. Like from bad teeth, UTI, ear infection, the beginning of arthritis - all sorts of things that dogs can't communicate to us except behaviourally. 

I need my sleep so have doggy stairs up to my bed. :laugh: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Old age & restless ,quite normal but jumping up on a bed is a big deal for any old dog & can be a game changer off uncertainty for them when there normal is no longer normal.
Arthritis,vision a couple attempts of failure can affect there confidience so  yes they will annoyingly ask for help .
Look at adding an access ramp up to your bed to allow more independance,offer a bed solution on the floor & reward & yes go to the vets 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like Boronia we used a child's slide to make a ramp for the bottom of our bed (ours a lot less fancy!). We since got a handmade timber and carpet one from our local tip shop that looks much better! I would also suggest you get a blue light. I am on a doggy dementia page and a lot of people use them at night to keep their oldies settled. I actually like sleeping with it too. I got mine from Bunnings as I wanted a plug in style. There are 4 lights in the set but we only use 1 or it is too bright. I've included a link to it. Previously we used a light you USB charge that I got from Amazon. It was great but had to be recharged every 2 days. We also tried a battery light but it chewed through the batteries too quick.

I don't know why these lights work but they provide low level light for a dog getting on and off a bed and my dog wants to sleep right down the bed now as close to the light as she can get so she obviously likes it. She doesn't get up now at all. One other thing we bought (I got mine off Marketplace) as one of those kid barriers for one side of my bed as my girl would use the ramp to go up but jump off and I needed to stop her doing that because of her poor joints.

Just like when people get old and need mobility aids, some of our dogs do too.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/lytworx-colour-changing-puck-light-kit_p0181967

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1