ABSOLUTELY GUTTED

24 minutes ago, Little Gifts said:

How are Bunches and Beatrice this week LMO?

They are doing well, thank you.  Beatrice has been fine from the start and, after her re-stitching episode, Bunches is fine as well.  Poor things are going stir crazy though.  They are not interested in going for walks, so I generally have them out the front with me so they can watch the world go by.  Their discharge sheets said no running or jumping and when they are out the front they race up and down and through the garden.  I am sure they would be fine with the running now, but they push in through the bushes so they can stand on the low brick fence (against which I have high plastic mesh).   I can just see them being stabbed in their faces by the bushes !!!   It is so hard for them and, I confess, I nearly weakened today when they were at the front door looking back at me with pleading eyes.  Commonsense prevailed.  Their check up is on Monday, so still a while to go.  I have to be strong for them LOL.   It is getting cool now, so I might try a short walk or to to give them some interest.    

They have finished all their tablets, just the eyedrops now and they have three several times a day.  They are still in the Velfast collars which I take off for them to eat, but they are able to drink with them on --  and get up and down the stairs which surprised me.   So that makes life a bit easier.   

• Like 9

Do you have anyone who could bring a walk or other outing* home to the girls?

https://fb.watch/k9YzQqk0gp/?mibextid=ykz3hl

*I know someone who brings bits and pieces home for her dog who can’t join them for dog beach trips. And one time I brought the zoo home to Malcolm.

Edit. If the link doesn’t work, tell me and I’ll try to do a write up. Or search “all pets education training rags” in Facebook and hopefully that will bring it up. :crossfingers:

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, persephone said:

@Papillon Kisses- that link went to all sorts of things from wild pig hunting to shane warne ...I scrolled thru a bit, but couldn't see what I was looking for  :)

Drat I feared it might just point to the ‘watch’ page... leading to anything and everything showing up.

Words (c) All Pets Education & Training. 13 October 2017.

[quote]Sometimes you need to think outside the box when it comes to enrichment. Enrichment means improving something or increasing value. It doesn't however always need to involve food. Scent is incredibly powerful, sniffing helps calm dogs and also helps fulfil the dogs natural seeking requirements. This activity is especially powerful for older dogs with restricted mobility or dogs on crate rest. It has been something that I've incorporated in to Poco's life for many years due to his several medically required extended crate confinement periods.

What you need:

• It helps to have another dog to take with you - they are better at finding the smells than you or I.
• A bag of clean rags
• A spare bag to pop the scented rags in to

Go for a walk. When your helper dog finds an interesting smell - rub a rag over it and pop it in the spare bag. Repeat repeat repeat.

Now this activity does require some common sense:

• Watch what you are rubbing your rag in - obviously we don't want to bring home chunks or gross organic matter.  

• Also I would advise against this for immune compromised pets or pets that have not completed their puppy vaccination schedule.  Parvo can live in the environment for years!

• Bring your scented rags home, and give them to your dog that needs some extra mental stimulation without the physical walk.

• Supervise them. 

- Ensure they don't eat rags etc.

- If you have a dog that resource guards similar objects perhaps this isn't the best for them.

Poco loves this activity. He sniffs, tastes, and sorts his rags for up to 30 minutes.  And he sleeps very soundly afterwards. 

And yes I am that crazy lady people tend to avoid when out walking - walking around polishing poles and trees. :laugh:

I've even had a class client mention that they spotted me out and about doing this and thought I was a complete nutter. :grimace:[/quote]

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I might try this …… in the dead of night!!!  Actually, I could probably gather enough wondrously scented rags from just my front footpath, so many people walk and walk their dogs past my place.  

Actually it is very interesting.  I have often witnessed any number of my dogs racing downstairs to go to the toilet, stop dead in their tracks to sniff something, and that is in a yard they spend time in everyday.  

In fact, I saw Bunches do it just a couple of days ago even with her Velfast collar on.  

And, of course, if people visit with their dogs, those dogs spend so long in the back yard that the owners get nervous thinking they have gone missing, not to mention the workout my dogs’ noses get afterwards

• Like 2

We have a big underground power thingy at the end of our long drive. Every single time without fail Jonah ran up the drive and that was his first stop because he could smell 'stuff' on it. He'd race up, be sniffing the air like crazy and then realise "Oh yeah, that's my old pee!". Then he'd pee on it again and we could continue our walk, but we could never walk past it at the start of our walk. When we went to pei catch ups (the only time her really went to dog parks) he was so invested in all the smells that he salivated. He would be worn out on the trip home, not from running around with the other dogs, but from circling, smelling and scenting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4