Red-Bellied Black Snake snakebite study

This is an interesting study on snakebite in dogs in Southeast Queensland.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/avj.13159

The seasonal distribution of cases is interesting but scary. There are cases throughout the year with only May, June and July having substantially lower risk - but not no risk.

I was surprised by the high proportions of staffies and Jack Russells among the cases, although perhaps I shouldn’t have been.

There were 88 dogs and 3 cats. The dogs comprised of 21 Staffordshire Bull Terriers and 4 Staffordshire Bull Terrier crossbreds, 10 Jack Russel Terriers, 3 Labrador Retrievers and 2 Labrador Retriever crossbreds, 2 Australian Cattle Dogs and 2 Australian Cattle Dog crossbreds, 2 American Staffordshire Terriers and 1 American Staffordshire Terrier crossbred, 2 Boxers and 1 Boxer crossbred, 1 Bull Arab and 2 Bull Arab crossbreds, 1 Kelpie and 2 Kelpie crossbreds, 1 Toy Poodle and 1 Toy Poodle crossbred, 1 Fox Terrier and 1 Fox Terrier crossbred, 2 Great Dane crossbreds, 1 Miniature Fox Terrier and 1 Miniature Fox Terrier crossbred, 1 Rhodesian Ridgeback and 1 Rhodesian Ridgeback crossbred, 2 Weimaraners and 1 each of a wide variety of other breeds and crossbreds. Age, gender and bodyweight from these cases are presented in Table 2; only age was associated with mortality status (P = 0.007). The cats comprised 1 male neutered Burmese, 1 male neutered Ragdoll and 1 female spayed Domestic Shorthair.”

• Like 2

I wonder if the seasonality would be the same further south. I have heard of a few snake bites in June/July in the ACT but only when the snake was taking advantage of an artificial heat source, like a water heater. 

1 hour ago, Diva said:

I wonder if the seasonality would be the same further south. I have heard of a few snake bites in June/July in the ACT but only when the snake was taking advantage of an artificial heat source, like a water heater. 

I follow a snake identification FB group. Herpetologists in that group have posted photos and video of snakes in as far south as Melbourne sun-baking on cool winter days. I don’t know whether those snakes are less likely to bite, but they may be less commonly encountered in winter because they stay closer to their resting places. But I’m no expert.

I wonder if the higher mortality rate in dogs bitten during winter reflects reality or it’s a random consequence of the small sample size.

9 hours ago, DogsAndTheMob said:

I follow a snake identification FB group. Herpetologists in that group have posted photos and video of snakes in as far south as Melbourne sun-baking on cool winter days. I don’t know whether those snakes are less likely to bite, but they may be less commonly encountered in winter because they stay closer to their resting places. But I’m no expert.

I wonder if the higher mortality rate in dogs bitten during winter reflects reality or it’s a random consequence of the small sample size.

Don't think there less likely to bite in winter , just fewer of them  around ,, I did'nt know  theres a higher mortality rate in winter , but that would be easily explained , quite simple they just woke up thats when they can be aggresive  , chances are   its   not a dry bite and maybee multple  bites injecting more venom .

Snakes are something i'm always wary of with my dogs , i've said it before i spend a lot of time on my houseboat , hope one day to live on it full time , , but when we pull up  and the dog  goes for a walk off the boat   i'm always careful ,,  Its the actual only reason    when thinking of a dog breed suitable for me i would rule out previous dogs  which have been great ,  definetly rule out the staffy ,   and all terrier breeds , Heelers too ,labradors too they don't mind to scrumage and jump in  the water   in fact any dog that has a tendency to explore  , and or jump in backwaters , . I'm more inclined to go for a dog that does'nt want to leave my side or explore too much , rottys and mastiffs  are a good start

• Like 1

As a kid, we grew up with red bellies and were taught not to bother them. The ones living around people & dogs didn't seem too fussed and would sprawl out on steps or on the road so you just let them be. Obviously they weren't terriers, mostly kelpies and heelers. The most dangerous things around for the dogs were the paralysis ticks. :( 

• Like 1

I have seen more snake tracks around just lately than I saw all Summer! On these warm Autumn days they come out to bask ..and although slower because of the temperature, can obviously still bite. 
My Grandfather always used to say April was the worst month for snakes -exactly why I'm not sure ,but the last few weeks they have certainly been about! 

22 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

The ones living around people & dogs didn't seem too fussed and would sprawl out on steps or on the road so you just let them be.

The RBBs always seem to be fairly placid - deadly, I know, but not anywhere near as reactive as browns/tigers, and will just stay put & watch .

14 minutes ago, persephone said:

The RBBs always seem to be fairly placid - deadly, I know, but not anywhere near as reactive as browns/tigers, and will just stay put & watch .

Yes we just wren't allowed to lift up tin or play near wood piles etc. Avoid them un general and wait until they could be shoo'ed away from steps etc. All the sensible stuff.
I don't think I ever encountered angry/frightened snakes until I moved to Canberra, walking on Mount Ainslie and saw brown snakes rear up. :eek: 

• Like 1

Years ago now we were camping on a cattle property. One that we frequently went to and we’ve always been very wary of snakes but honestly have never really seen many. The one day though we were walking with both dogs, crossing a very shallow creek. My husband and Molly  were ahead of me and Zena. The next thing I knew he was jumping about yelling at Molly. She was very young and thought he was playing. In reality there was a red belly black laying in the sun. To this day I don’t know how either of them didn’t get bitten. The snake eventually just moved slowly off while my husband grabbed Molly when he was in the clear. She had literally been jumping all over the snake in her playful mood and we swear she never even seen it. My husband was trying to distract her with his behaviour, trying to get her away from it but thankfully it all ended without incident but it certainly shook us. We are just thankful it was a rbb, knowing they are more placid than a brown. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kazm said:

In reality there was a red belly black laying in the sun.

Eek...I bet that got your heart rate going ! 
Placid RBB - a little story ...years ago I had a friend visiting, and she had never seen a snake . We were out & about , and I saw a RBB lying in the sun , so I pointed it out to her . She was sceptical, as snake was just immobile , enjoying a sunbathe . I stamped on the ground to try & get it to move - nothing. I showered it with small pebbles and finally it stretched and meandered away a short distance , and my friend was convinced it was real ! If it had been a brown, no way would we have been so close, or had an opportunity to just observe :)

• Like 1