Australian Ex-Racing Greyhounds to Get New Lives as Therapy Pets for US Cops

Deeds

Yet the whole of life tracking being introduced in Victoria will preclude ex-racing greyhounds from being exported... food for thought...

... and AJP are looking to get the same whole of life tracking bill in here in NSW too...

T.

11 hours ago, Deeds said:

I would have thought that quarantine laws in the USA were fairly strict.  

They  were always much easier than Australia’s.  Except that they have completely banned imports from high risk rabies countries for now. And tightened proof of vaccination requirements in the last few years. I think both triggered by some issues with fraudulent vaccination records and  mass imported rescues. 

But Australia is not considered high risk as a source so no quarantine from here. Just the right vaccinations and paperwork.

Edited by Diva
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Deeds said:

I would have thought that quarantine laws in the USA were fairly strict.  

I sold two greyhound pups to Hawaii years ago as they didn't have rabies and we don't have rabies. It was very hard for them to import from mainland America.

I heard on the radio that Aussie greyhounds are preferred. I wonder if that is because they are more likely to have been in less intensive racing kennels or with more hobby owner trainers. I have seen photos of US kennels which are two tiers of not much bigger than crate size enclosures with shredded paper. 

And perhaps the Aussie post racing rehab systems are better?

Reality is the retired racing greyhounds are becoming thin on the ground in America. Many states have banned gambling on Greyhound races so they don't have them. Less races means less dogs available for adoption. People wanting a greyhound are learning what it's like to get most purebred dogs. Go on a waiting list. Not sure if price has gone up. There are a couple of places breeding race bred greys for pets, don't know what they charge though.

On 17/05/2023 at 8:50 AM, Powerlegs said:

Unless through a rescue T? Would that be different? 

None of the proposed legislation being put forward by AJP in Victoria suggests that rescued ex-racing greyhounds will be exempt from the export ban in relation to whole-of-life tracking, as once an animal leaves Australian jurisdiction, it is not subject to Australian laws any more, so the tracking may cease once the dog leaves the country.

T.